+ Reply to Thread

i550 to be delayed??? Rave please chime in!

This news was just posted on sprintpcsinfo.com...

SPI News Alert: Sprint To Go EV-DO

In a bit of a surprise turn of events, Sprint has chosed to implement a 1xEV-DO 3G data network. Similar to Verizon's network, it will run at speeds of 300-500 kilobits and a peak burst rate of 2.4 megabits.

Sprint expects to have inital service in select markets this quarter, with most major metropolitan markets getting service in 2005. Plans, pricing and applications have not been determined.

1xEV-DO is fully backwards compatible with Sprint's current 1xRTT (PCS Vision) data network, and can be used whenever EV-DO service is not available.

Sprint does indicate that their plans to implement 1xEV-DV, the faster more advanced cousin to EV-DO have not been cancelled, but rather delayed. Sprint says that they plan to invest more than $1,000,000,000 to complete both EV-DO and "a subsequent, more advanced release of CDMA technology that is expected to be available... in 2006".

The last we heard was that the i550 will run on 1xrtt networks (maxes out at 140kbps) but if sprint introduces EV-DO networks before the i550, sprint may scrub the i550 entirely, or ask samsung to reconfigure it.

One of the rumors for for the 2 year waits for the i330/i500 was that they werent originally designed to work with 1xrtt networks, but sprint insisted that samsung reconfigur them to work with the newer networks.

so does this mean the i550 will be delayed, cancelled, or???
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

I don't think this will affect the release of the Samsung i550. My guess is that most people interested in a cell phone, even most interested in a PDA smartphone, don't really care about whether or not it supports 1xRTT, 1xEV-DO and/or 1xEV-DV.

Don't get me wrong, we care but most people don't.

And I'm actually not surprised by Sprints decision. A little disappointed but not surprised. From what I was hearing, even though companies like Qualcomm and Texas Instruments are still starting to lithograph silicon, the 1xEV-DV standard was still being worked on. But who knows, it may still be released sometime in or after 2006.

Doesn't it supposed to be announced first to get delayed? An FCC approval is not the same. :p

I am sure PalmOne will have something for the EV-DO. You know, Samsung is not the only handset manufacturer for Sprint PCS.

Hong.
    i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

1xEV-DO spec has been revised recently to add an uplink capability in addition to its downlink capability. It is not as fast as the 1xEV-DV, but it is decent enough. It is not surprising at all that Sprint would join Verizon to offer the EV-DO service now instead of waiting for 1xEV-DV which is at least a year or more behind. Sprint can't afford to lose the technology lead and the market share to Verizon. But I doubt that i550 (OS 5.2 version) release date would be affected by this news. 1xEV-DO service won't be free. You have to pay exta for it ($80?). The majority of the subscribers will probably stay with 1xRTT for a long while until the rate comes down. On the other hand, the Palm OS6 version of i550 could be delayed to include the 1xEV-DO support. It is just a guess.

Originally posted by William
    I don't think this will affect the release of the Samsung i550. My guess is that most people interested in a cell phone, even most interested in a PDA smartphone, don't really care about whether or not it supports 1xRTT, 1xEV-DO and/or 1xEV-DV.

Don't get me wrong, we care but most people don't.

And I'm actually not surprised by Sprints decision. A little disappointed but not surprised. From what I was hearing, even though companies like Qualcomm and Texas Instruments are still starting to lithograph silicon, the 1xEV-DV standard was still being worked on. But who knows, it may still be released sometime in or after 2006.
    It's not a mattter of US delaying the i550, but SPRINT delaying the i550.
    From the day (august 11, 2002 IIRC) that sprint introduced their 1xrtt/3G network(aka vision) they did not release a SINGLE 2G phone-not one, indeed at that time other 2g phones were scrapped or redone.
    The reason for this is that sprint wanted everyone to migrate over to 1xrtt as soon as possible.
    The reason for this, was not you and me pushing the high speed network, but sprint wanting to get a higher MRC out of their customers, which they have accomplished-they now have one of the highest in the industry...
    My Palm phone evolution:

Originally posted by kboy
    Doesn't it supposed to be announced first to get delayed? An FCC approval is not the same. :p

I am sure PalmOne will have something for the EV-DO. You know, Samsung is not the only handset manufacturer for Sprint PCS.

Hong.
    -sprint never announces a phone until the day it is released, however you and i, as opposed to your average consumer, are informed on what is coming out and when, so when the i500 took 17 months from first showcase to release, we knew about the delays each time(there is a 50+page thread talking aout all the various delays...)
    -of course Palm1 and samsung will have ev-do and ev-dv based modules, however if sprint insists on retrofitting the i550 it will mean long delays
    My Palm phone evolution:

Originally posted by mcyang
    1xEV-DO service won't be free. You have to pay exta for it ($80?). The majority of the subscribers will probably stay with 1xRTT for a long while until the rate comes down.
    im not sure why you assume ev-do will cost so much. on the contrary, although verizon charges $80/month for 1xrtt-and has one of the lowest numbers of high-speed subscribers in the industry, sprint sells 1xrtt for as little as $10-and it was even free on high end plans for a while, and has one of the highest numbers of high-speed subscribers, and $12 higher MRC than verizon...i dont see why the upgrade for 2g(max=14.4 kbps)to 1xrtt(max fo 144 kbps) should be so different than 1xrtt to ev-do...
    My Palm phone evolution:

i330 is right on all counts but one (I think). The roll out of 1x-EV/DO may be very different than curren thigh speed. Look at the GSM Edge difficulties - a very slow roll out only in select markets. 1x is starting to look like just like this, and the infrastructure costs alone ($1 billion plus) may well slow the roll out as well.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Originally posted by dstrauss
    i330 is right on all counts but one (I think). The roll out of 1x-EV/DO may be very different than curren thigh speed. Look at the GSM Edge difficulties - a very slow roll out only in select markets. 1x is starting to look like just like this, and the infrastructure costs alone ($1 billion plus) may well slow the roll out as well.
    sprint's claim to fame with their 1xrtt network was indeed the fact that they were the only carrier to roll it out nationwide in one shot-it would indeed be unfortunate if sprint spreads it out over a long period of time...
    My Palm phone evolution:

Originally posted by i330
    im not sure why you assume ev-do will cost so much. on the contrary, although verizon charges $80/month for 1xrtt-and has one of the lowest numbers of high-speed subscribers
    1xEV-DO is going to cost more for sure due to its required high infrastructure investment. $50-60 is too close to the 1XRTT subscribers's rates. $80 is not going to stop demanding mobile geeks or professionals. But I think the 3G rate will come down over time when the infrastructure is completed and under the pressure from competitions.

1xEV-DO is going to cost more for sure due to its required high infrastructure investment. $50-60 is too close to the 1XRTT subscribers's rates. $80 is not going to stop demanding mobile geeks or professionals. But I think the 3G rate will come down over time when the infrastructure is completed and under the pressure from competitions.
    my point was that if history is a lesson, the pundits were saying when 1xrtt was being rolled out that unlimited access would surely cost about $80/month-indeed this is verizon's rate, but sprint chose not to go this route, opting instead to bring 1xrtt down to an affordable level, and that formula has proven to be quite successful, so i dont see sprint sprint chrging $80 for ev-do unlimited PHONE access, for a data card i'm sure it will be that much, but i dont see unlimited phone access being higher than the $20-$25 range, and if it is higher initially(as 1xrtt was from august-october)it should come down quickly...
    My Palm phone evolution:

Originally posted by i330
    ..., so i dont see sprint sprint chrging $80 for ev-do unlimited PHONE access, for a data card i'm sure it will be that much, but i dont see unlimited phone access being higher than the $20-$25 range, ...
    I certainly hope that your are right, i330. I LOVE low rates.

Now I begin to wonder how Sprint would handle the new Treo which has an integrated Bluetooth. It can be used as a modem for laptops. Can the Data card rate hold?

http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/354-1.htm

I certainly hope that your are right, i330. I LOVE low rates.

Now I begin to wonder how Sprint would handle the new Treo which has an integrated Bluetooth. It can be used as a modem for laptops. Can the Data card rate hold?

http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/354-1.htm
    our i500 comes out of the box with built it modem software, as well as the t608, and the data rate is still the same...
    My Palm phone evolution:

boe
    I wouldn't mind a slight delay as long as they took the time to put bluetooth on the phone side. I may be an exception but I will never use the device on the web, I'm just interested in using it as a PDA and phone.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

I would rather the i550 be delayed, than it be released, and then not be compatiable with the new high speed data network...

it would be like the I500 and SMS all over again awesome phone, but can't do everything that other $50 phones can do...
    old devices: I300, I330, I500
    current: I730

I have read on other forums that the newly announced Treo Ace will be EVDO data capable. My guess is the Ace will beat the Samsung to market. We have all seen how slow Samsung is to get devices to market. I am not sure why, but Samsung seems to be the worst handset manufactuer to get phones out. Granted, the i500 was a nice phone, with a nice form factor, but the frustration factor of waiting caused me to swear off Samsung phones.

A note regarding delaying the i550 to include BT. No matter if the phone has BT or not, it is still a violation to your TOS to use it as such. If you need data on your laptop, then get the product that Sprint has to support data on the laptop. Vision is priced as such on the handset, because it is difficult to use gobs and gobs of bandwidth. Vision is priced much higher for the data cards, because most people that have a data card are going to consume more bandwidth.

Dont sign a TOS contract and then complain about the terms.

Personally I need to talk on my phone and use data on my laptop at the same time. I gladly pay for unlimited data service with my data card. It is worth EVERY penny.
    Carl

boe

Bluetooth

I don't care about data and bluetooth. I want the phone side of this PDAphone to have bluetooth so you can use it for wireless headsets and from cars with bluetooth in them such as the Acura TL.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

Hi Carl - saw you hit the forums hard last night.

I agree with both you and Boe. The TOS basically prohibits data connections to your notebook (even to a PDA). So , no use in complaining about wireless data connectivity. It seems to me that Sprint should offer the option, for the same $80 you're paying, to use the Treo/Samsung that way as opposed to having a card and antennae sticking out of my notebook. Maybe it's too much of a bandwidth hog because it's not as fast or efficient as the PC Card connection.

Boe's point is well taken; there are a lot of legitimate non-wireless data reasons for bluetooth. For me, hands free, GPS, and hotsync are all great reasons for bluetooth. And, although slower than native 802.11b, there are bluetooth to network connectors that would allow wireless use of your smartphone (especially useful once we get our new Treo Aces).
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    I have read on other forums that the newly announced Treo Ace will be EVDO data capable...
    Links?

Because if that's true, then my next PDAphone will be a Treo Ace.

Originally posted by William
    Links?

Because if that's true, then my next PDAphone will be a Treo Ace.
    William, the other places I hang out are TreoCentral and Howard Forums. I suggest you go to one of those sites and use the search feature. My guess is, I saw it on TreoCentral.
    Carl