Poll: Will the Treo "ACE" or the Samsung SPH-i550 (or i530) be your next phone?

+ Reply to Thread

Will the Treo "Ace" or the Samsung SPH-i550 be your next phone?

Since neither is released yet but we are getting bits of information on both, I'm just curious about which one, if any, the members of this forum are most interested in.

On the one hand we have the Treo "Ace" which is a Treo 600 replacement with rumored Bluetooth, a high-resolution screen and supposedly support for 1xEV-DO.

On the other hand we have the Samsung SPH-i550 with a high-resolution screen, a "flip" design and advanced data protection features.

Your choice?

William --

I can't choose from the options available. For me, it's not just the phone, it's the execution of the concept, which includes phone hardware + phone software + network. For example, Sprint is starting to roll out their new EV-DO network. Will any of these phones work on that network? Will that network be available in Minnesota anytime in the next 5 years?

Also, I think the MPx phone raises the bar. Too bad about the battery life! Um, 1 day of standby time ain't gonna cut it. Hope the final product works better than the prototypes.

1 days of standby?

Iceman, are you talking about the MPx? I though I read in their specs that it was 240 hours of standby and 180 minutes of talk time. Where did you see only 1 day of standby. I am considering the MPx and switching to Cingular, but I have to have a phone that will make it fairly comfortable through the day.
    Carl

Carl, I have been following the early adopter commentaries over on Howard Forums.

HoFo PocketPC forum

Apparently some engineering prototypes of the MPx have fallen into the wrong hands and boy have they been having fun with their new toys. BengalBoy reports 3 hours of talk time and 8 hours of battery life on about page 13 of the 96-page MPx sticky thread. I imagine the production version of the phone will use a larger battery, but I don't see how they can get to 24 hours standby, which is the bare minimum.
    Last edited by Iceman; 08-09-2004 at 03:15 PM.

I started reading that thread, but grew tired of it. By the time I got to it, all the pictures were gone, to protect the guilty. Maybe someday when I have nothing to do, I will read it all. I agree, one day is the bare minimum. Since the Treo300 I have gotten into the habit of charging nightly. But, I have to be able to comfortablly get through a business day and not worry about going dead.
    Carl

Mod:
    We need to have an "other", "neither", or MPx added to this poll.
    Carl

That is one of the most TEDIOUS threads I've ever seen. There may be some diamonds salted in there, but you need the patience of a saint to find them.

That said, the MPx is a very intriguing phone. Unfortunately, it looks Kyocera 7135 size to me, which will be a downer for me. The i500 is my limit on flip phones (well, maybe i550) and the Treo 600 maxes my candybar acceptance. Regardless, Moto is on the right track in its combination - and using cellular/wifi/bluetooth auto switching is a real boon. This at least ought o raise the bar for all the rest .

Motorola - please, please, please - 128mb RAM and MINIMUM 24 hour standby on the battery.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

There are more MPx threads on that forum, and one of them still has some pictures. Size is an issue for me also, which is why the i550 is still in the running. One of the reasons I am strongly attracted to the MPx is, if you are surfing the Web, and you get a call, you can answer the call and then go back to surfing the web where you left off. As I understand it, you will not be able to do this with a Palm-based phone until we get to Cobalt.