+ Reply to Thread

Question my first impressions but what do you want to know

the first thing i have to say is that the phone i have is definatley an early test model. it crashes often and not all of the services work. i have the voicemail icon on the screen lit up practically since i got it because the phone crashes every time i check voice mail and never removes the icon. despite the bugs and glitches i want to share what i can about this phone and try to offer some info.

unfortunatley i am still without vision services on the phone so there will be no mentioning of internet aspects of the phone. there are preloaded configuration for using other internet service aside from sprint but i do not have an account with any other providers that could be used but i may sign up with something to see if it will work. so far every attempt to connect to vision including setting up a connection manually have all yeilded a "no carrier" error.

the most stellar and noticable thing about this phone is the screens. they are both quite exceptional and something that the pictures just have not done justice to. the outside screen with a combination of static OLED area and a dynamic color area. i have not found specific information on the outside screen but it looks to be TFT not STN. it is very crisp and sharp even using a picture for the screensaver. it is also a nice size, measuring over an inch and a quarter diagnally. it is very nice for picture caller ID.

the interior screen is also quite a site. it is very bright, much brighter than my samsung i600. the resolution is very 'tight' and edges are very smooth on the diagnals. the phone supports animated screen savers and the one i have came with 3 preinstalled but i have not had time to investigate what format they are. looking at the screen on this phone is just like looking at a nice flatscreen computer monitor. it is not quite as bright as sony xbrite monitor but every bit as crisp. if this is the same screen that is used in the upcoming treo 600 then prepare to be impressed.

without even opening the phone there is actually quite alot that can be done. by default the key guard is active so if you hit a side key all that happens is the front screen lights up showing a lock but it lets you know if you press the stop button it releases the key guard. with the key guard off the volume keys and camera key can be used for the obvious but there is also a key under the volume keys that brings up a program chooser. from there you can launch voice assist, an mp3 player, the camera or the camcorder.

the mp3 player was my main interest. this is the single best supliment to a cell phone IMHO. it is the feature i find myself using most often even outweighing actual cell phone usage for voice calls. the mp3 player in the i550 is good but lacks a simple fast forward and rewind. the controls only allow for skip forward, skip backwards, play/pause and stop. from the phones internal speaker the music gets surprisingly loud but not the best quality. using a stereo hands free headset designed for a kyo 7135 the sound was fairly rich and quite enjoyable to listen to but i suspect serious audiophiles would be dissapointed in the sound. however i do not know if this is due to the limitations of the phone itself or due to the headset i used. perhaps if shure made some ec3's for a 2.5 mm headset jack this would be an entirely different paragraph.

one other thing worth noting is that the i550 seems to use a standard 2.5mm connection. my i600 has a propritary jack and does not work in stereo with other headsets besides the included one.

the camera is a fantastic camera for the VGA competition but not quite there yet as far as the mega pixel images go. at full size the images look just as grainy as any other camera phone i have ever seen, its just a bigger image. BUT if you drop the resolution down to VGA the result is a very claen, sharp image. the auto mode on the camera generally has some fairly decent results but it is a bit slow to adjust. this is not a camera you want to try and catch fast paced sporting events with but you can get some good images of still motion stuff.

the camcodrer sucks. all camcorders on phones suck. who wants to watch a postage stamp sized video? besides it records in 3GPP format (.3g2) thats pretty useless.

both pictures and video can be saved directly to a storage card offering quite a large capacity.

well it is obvious i can babble alot so instead of babbling on and on i will instead invite any specific questions that anybody might have. so if there is anything you would like to know or like me to try then feel free to ask. unfortunatley it has been a real thorn in my side that i do not have vision service so this does greatly limit what i can do with the phone. just something to keep in mind when asking questions.

peace out,
    dumwaldo
    Peace out,
    dumwaldo

Administrator
    what i want to know is when are YOU coming back to PPC and getting the ppc 6601 or 00??

well i tell you this much. i am done with telesales so sprint would need to actually get some out to the stores before i would even consider getting one.

i would guess the soonest possibility would be next year sometime. i am intrigued by the phone but not enough to be in a rush to drop another $700. after all i have spent over a thousand in the last 6 weeks.

right now an i600 and i550 is more than enough.

peacxe,
    dumwaldo
    Peace out,
    dumwaldo

Re: my first impressions but what do you want to know

Thanks for the impressions. A couple of comments/questions. I think the outside screen is all OLED, not just the static part. On the MP3 player, did you try holding the skip buttons down? Sometimes that acts as FF/REW on players. Are the buttons easy to accidently press? If the OLED screen comes on every time an outside button is pressed it seems like the batteries might drain fast in-pocket. Which begs the question, what is battery life like?