+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up I550 Questions and Answers

A few Questions for anyone who knows

1. Where do you write with the stylus -- on what part of the screen and how is the recognition of the graffiti? -- how do you like this

2. What size battery did it have on it in the photo -- slim or extended -- how was the batt life

3. How much faster was the processor was it able to access the contacts and calendar quicker?

4. did they fix the horrible ringers on the 1550 -- meaning can we now download ringers??

5. Does this have true SMS messaging?

Elvis has left the building

1. there is a transparant graffiti pop up box that can be easily toggled to go away...
    2.the size in the photos has been the standard battery, i dont think there will be a "slim" battery
    3.the processor speeds are listed in the faq's, obviously everything is much faster
    4.you can download and create ringers now
    5 it does have true sms
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

And you can't have one.
    Dale2 - The "P" in PDA is for Personal. There is no "best" PDA.
    Sprint CDMA Treo 650 since 11/05

Smile

Great reply -- thank you for the excellent response, very thorough. I think you must be as eager as me to get my hands on one. Im completley addicted to palm os and my i500.

I know -- I think Samsung loves to torture America with these products -- Its killing me I guess my i500 will hold me over, but I can still dream !!

I hear the release date is May or June realistically next year -- true

Originally posted by elvis1403
    I hear the release date is May or June realistically next year -- true

It does not hurt to let a fellow dream, but don't count on EVER seeing the 550 here.

BB
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Originally posted by blazorboy
    It does not hurt to let a fellow dream, but don't count on EVER seeing the 550 here.

BB
    from what i have read around the net it sounds like the phone is delayed, not canceled. i certainly wouldnt hold my breath waiting on it but i also do not think it is unrealistic to hope to see the phone within the next year.

i also think the i550 was so far ahead of its time that even if we do not see it commercially available till NEXT christmas it will still be a competitive and attractive phone. besides, while the phone is being delayed thay can add stuff in that makes it even more 'up to date'.

peace,
    dumwaldo
    Peace out,
    dumwaldo

and I'm sure the Treo 700 will be out by then and will be a step ahead of it.
    Save at least 15% on ProClip Products. PM me for info how to order. My website is down now that I dumped comcast for verizon.

i checked out a treo 650. when i tried to fold it in half like the i550 it broke. i tried to put it in my pocket and carry it like that but since it wouldnt fold the sensitive screen broke.

candybars are still for kids IMHO.

Peace out,
    dumwaldo

Dumwald,

You are supposed to use your table saw to to CUT not fold the 650 into three pieces that can then be carried in your pocket without calling too much attention to yourself.

Nice going with I330, a deserving guy!

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 12-07-2004 at 09:21 AM.
    That'sssssssss all folks!

i550 question

To i330 or dumwaldo or Rave (or anyone who knows):

In total darkness, are the silkscreen buttons below the screen visible? From the pics I've seen they aren't backlit (which seems like it would have been easy enough to do).

That's one thing that bugs me on the i500. In the dark I have to bend the screen over to light the graffiti area to hit the silkscreen buttons correctly (especially the keyboard "dot".)

Thanks.

for what its worth, I stopped by the Samsung store in NYC again last weekend. They still had the i550 on display and were showing it off to everyone. The staff there still claim its on for a March release and hadn't heard anything about it being pulled...

reidme,
    the silkscreen buttons are not visible in the dark. at first it annoyed the hell out of me but fairly quickly i was able to use them by just remembering where they were in relation to the screen (center, left center, right center, far right and far left).

the most frequently used one for me was the keyboard and home and they are the easiest to 'find' in the dark. the pull down button was the most difficult to get adjusted to and the grafitti button i just plain did not use to much.

peace,
    dumwaldo
    Peace out,
    dumwaldo

Thanks. It sounds like it will at least be easier to use in the dark than the i500. The keyboard button is the one I use the most, and on the i500 it's the hardest one to hit (even in daylight.)

A followup question if you don't mind: can the silkscreen buttons be reassigned new functions?