+ Reply to Thread

SGH-i530 car kit - any Samsung alternative?

Well, I got myself an SGH-i530 off eBay and it's superb, except no Bluetooth, but what the heck, it's Palm and it's a flip phone. Meanwhile, I need a proper car kit - obviously Samsung don't even acknowledge this phone, leat alone tell you which car kit (if any) will work with it. What I need is a proper cradle - I may even have to build my own - but where to start? The SPH-i500 car kits are available - but the form factor of the SGH-i530 is less rounded than the SPH-i500 so it doesn't look like it will fit out of the box. Time to file some plastic maybe. I have a Lil Sync i500 USB Sync-n-Charge which works fine with the SGH-i530, so I assume the data connection with the SPH-i500 is the same - hence my assumption that the SPH-i500 car kit is a good place to start? Any info and comments greatly appreciated. I am UK-based but buy bits from USA all the time. Cheers!

Follow-up: I've ordered an SPH-i500 car kit from the USA - time to get the Dremel out. Will post pics on my web site in due course.

Please keep us posted. I also love my i530 - and its working very well for me here in Dubai.

I am just wondering if you've found any flip-phone covers that work well with the i530. The one's I tried either fit too tight or too loosely.

To be honest I don't envisage using a cover - I use the phone for work and it's constantly swapping between car and pocket so a cover would get in the way. Of course, one has to take care and not drop it!

BTW, I was looking at the Samsung web site for info and found a user manual for the SGH-i530 - so they do acknowledge it exists after all. I've sent emails to Samsung asking for any info re car kits (above) but no replies yet. Will advise.

Did a bit more slogging away on the net the other night, and discovered that the SGH-P730 has the same headset connection as the SGH-i530. It's not the standard issue 2.5mm jack plug - but a 10-pin connector which can be seen clearly on this page:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...-p730-en.shtml

scroll down just before half way to see detailed pics of connector. Great, now just gotta find the *name* of the connector and/or the Samsung name for the headset type that fits in it....

Update: my SPH-i500 car kit finally arrived and the good news is that the SGH-i530 fits straight into the car cradle and connects up nicely. The bad news is that the plastic retaining pins are not correct for the phone. I spent 2 hours with a Dremmel filing away at both the phone and the cradle, and I finally have a snug fit and the pins retain the phone, with the release mechanism working properly.

The next step is to install the car kit into the car.

Further research shows that the headset connector for the SGH-i530 is also the same as the E630 and the E800.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/5011.htm

More soon.

Just received the Samsung Mini Boom for the E800 and it fits and works.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/5011.htm

Installed car kit myself but need some remedial work so will report on that later.