+ Reply to Thread

Am I missing something?

Hi all
    I just registered here as I too am on a quest for the ideal or just adequate PDA/Phone again.

I have had the I300 and now have an I330 but is is dying slowly.

What I can't understand is how the Treo,thought by some to be the Holy Grail,can be compared to any phone that can roam analog as well as digital.
    It seems that is rarely discussed in forums yet for me if a primary feature I require.

I travel a lot and mostly I drive around the country and although I would have a Treo in a second if it was both Analog and Digital I am afraid it will be nearly useless to me since it does not.

Anyone who compares the two phones without even mentioning this seems to be doing a dis service. They are not the same thing even though they both use a Palm OS.
    I can't understand how this always is glossed over.
    Am I the only one left who does Roam outside cities?!?

I will not make it with digital alone.

I think that leaves me with the I500 and it has its own downsides for me.
    I don't really want to spend the money on one as it is an old design(in phone years) and the lack of speakerphone is unbelievable.
    It also does not seem nearly as friendly to use Graffiti on as the I330 I have now.

It seems like the manufacturers just refuse to build one single phone with the features needed to make it work.
    I don't need a cheesy camera.
    I don't need games and ringers.
    I just need a reliable phone that roams everywhere and vibrates reliably and has a decent speakerphone,et,.

Oh wait I already do have that.....no wonder they killed it and dropped its design altogether!

I read in another thread reviewing the I550 that the Samsung guy just didn't seem to get it when asked where the hell the phone was.

I beleive this is the whole problem.
    They just do not get it.
    They listen to no real input from users it feels like and give us too much crap we don't want and not enough of what we do want.

What to do?

Re: Am I missing something?

Originally posted by AVService
    I read in another thread reviewing the I550 that the Samsung guy just didn't seem to get it when asked where the hell the phone was.

I beleive this is the whole problem.
    They just do not get it.
    They listen to no real input from users it feels like and give us too much crap we don't want and not enough of what we do want.

What to do?
    Well maybe its Samsung that doesn't get it. But methinks the carriers also do not get it. Between Sprint and Verizon, these two carriers have now manage to kill off the two original PalmOS Smartphone manufacturers, Kyocera/Qualcomm and now Samsung. Between Sprint nixing the 7135 and now the i550, they have kill what was once the king-of-the-hill in Smartphones, leaving us with that MS-gorilla-mess. And I can just see folks at PalmSource running around in circles shouting "What to do?!?, What to do?!?" (Linda Hunt, Year of Living Dangerously).

Maybe PalmOne is really pleased with themselves having allowed their PalmOS Smartphone compatriots to wither away, leaving the Treo as the only PalmOS phone, but they are going to regret this as MS, like a lethal oilslick, gradually covers the entire Smartphone market with its mediocre black ooze (OS...)

AV, I travel all over the place, and do a lot of camping with my kids Scout groups, so I often find myself in the middle of no where, and the lack of analog has not been a problem. Verizon has put CDMA on every tower it has analog on, so you should be able to find a digital signal just about everywhere. I havent had analog on a phone since mu i300, and I have never once missed it.

Do you have the latest PRL on your phone (I assume you have either SPCS or VZW)? The latest PRL should perfer digital over analog in most places. In places where it does not, the lack of analog will move you over to digital roaming.

I'd suggest going all digital, and getting a car with something like the On-star service for when you need to make emergancy calls.
    Carl

Thanks for the replies somfar.
    Yes I am with Sprint now. I have been from the start. I do wish they seemed to have any interest at al in my continuing as a customer but that is the topic for another thread.

I do have the latest PRL list and when going from STL to Miami I am analog roaming for a big part of the way.

Of course during that time I try to catch-up on phone calls too. I try to make the time in the car usefulo although it does depend a lot on thhe book I am listening to at the time also.

I have thought about getting a second line for these times and using my old 2200 which I liked so I could have both.
    I am afraid though of trying to do anything at all with my plan as Sprint can never make it work without there being a dark period first which costs me time and money.

Then if I did that my options don't get all that much better,do they?
    I can't really imagine a Windows phone which leaves me with the Treo I think.
    I have been using Windows PPC(or whatever they are called now) to access streaming music for clients. Really slick when working but not something I want to rely on.
    The Treao just makes me nervous in general. It seems they released it for us to shake down and QC and I just resent spending that kind of money for a brand new device that already has had some nightmare problems and engineered lack of functionality.

Can you tell I am sort of discouraged here?

Thanks Again

Originally posted by AVService
    Thanks for the replies somfar.
    Yes I am with Sprint now. I have been from the start. I do wish they seemed to have any interest at al in my continuing as a customer but that is the topic for another thread.

I do have the latest PRL list and when going from STL to Miami I am analog roaming for a big part of the way.

Of course during that time I try to catch-up on phone calls too. I try to make the time in the car usefulo although it does depend a lot on thhe book I am listening to at the time also.

I have thought about getting a second line for these times and using my old 2200 which I liked so I could have both.
    I am afraid though of trying to do anything at all with my plan as Sprint can never make it work without there being a dark period first which costs me time and money.

Then if I did that my options don't get all that much better,do they?
    I can't really imagine a Windows phone which leaves me with the Treo I think.
    I have been using Windows PPC(or whatever they are called now) to access streaming music for clients. Really slick when working but not something I want to rely on.
    The Treao just makes me nervous in general. It seems they released it for us to shake down and QC and I just resent spending that kind of money for a brand new device that already has had some nightmare problems and engineered lack of functionality.

Can you tell I am sort of discouraged here?

Thanks Again
    Remember, you are far more likely to read about problems associated with devices like the Treo 650 on these boards than to read posts praising the device. People come hear to get answers to their problems so it can portray somewhat of a distorted view of any device.

I noticed you are currently using a Samsung I330. I am not 100% sure on this, but it was my understanding that only the CDMA 1900 (what Sprint uses) and AMPS 800 (analog) radios are enabled on the device. Devices like the Treo 650, while not supporting analog, do support both CDMA 1900 and CDMA 800 (what Verizon mainly uses) so wherever there is Verizon digital voice coverage, you would be able to make a phone call. Assuming CDMA 1900 is all the I330 picks up (in addition to analog), you could very well have CDMA 800 coverage in your dead-spot areas and not even know it. However, I could be completely mistaken and the I330 does have its CDMA 800 capabilities enabled. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the device can shed some light...

all of the sprint/samsung palm phones are tri-band, i.e. digital 800/1900, and amps...none of the cdma treos have amps...
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

AV ...

FWIW, I can totally relate. I can't survive without my analog either!
    Nicky

I switched to a PPC device for about 2 month (iMate PDA2K), and hated it. I sold it on eBay and amd back to using a Treo.

I wonder if the PRL is set up to perfer analog over digital in the places you get digital roaming. Have you tried an all digital phone in the place you go, just to see if perhaps you could get a digital roam signal. AFAIK, Verizon has rolled out CDMA 800 on all of their analog towers. I have not had an analog phone since I had my i300. When I had the i300, I analog roamed a lot, and I was concerned that when I got my Treo I would be out of luck in many places without analog, but that has not been true at all. If Verizon services the areas you are in, then there will be digital.
    Carl

My husband still carries an analog only Verizon phone (in addition to his Sprint phone). He has a 3 watt kit in his truck, and it will only work with an analog phone. He travels to a lot of remote areas for work, and he get service (analog) where NOBODY else gets any service.

When you live in the last area that gets upgraded, you really need analog.
    Nicky

Nanotechnology Nerd shadowboxer's Avatar
    Yep,
    same here in the sticks.
    No digital signal of any type at my camp as in many other outlying areas around here. Have a analog 3 watt bag phone from the old days that works out at the camp like a charm....

dale1
    my story in phones....
    i300-->i330-->i500-->sprintt650-->ppc6700-->gsmt650-->HTC Universal-->gsmt650-->8525-->back again to my trusty t650

Dale, who is your analog carrier? Would something like GAIT work for you? I have thought about picking up a GAIT phone and activating it on my accout, switching my SIM to it only when I knew I was going to be away for all civilization.
    Carl