+ Reply to Thread

i550-Is there anyone successfully using their i550 in the US?

Please someone help me. If I bring an i550 from Mexico, will it work with any carrier here? I live in the Dallas area. Is there anyone successfully using their i550 successfully in the US?
    Last edited by sun2002; 04-04-2006 at 06:11 AM. Reason: grammar mistake

So, did you receive any replies to this? Did you bring in a Mexican version? I'm surprised there are no definitive posts on this topic. At least none that I've found -- and I've been doing a lot of searching and reading in this little forum. i330 notes that no phone can be activated on Sprint if the ESN is not in their database, which is true. So I was hoping maybe the ESN of the Mexican version was in the database (or was the same as the "original" i550). But that's hoping for quite a bit, I admit.

jlv
    I, too, had hoped that some brave soul would blaze the trail!

this subject has really been beaten to death, but again,
    Sprint never has and never will activate a phone that is not in thieir database, so if doesnt say sprint on it, sprint wont activate it, period.
    Verizon used to activate phones not in their database, but that policy changed last year, and unless you or your best friend work for them, VZW is out as well.
    As far as Alltel or any other small regional CDMA carrier, YMMV depending on the employee, but even if you do get it activated the data side will most likely not work.
    I got my i500 and i550 activated in Brazil, but i never could get the data sides to work at all.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Amy W

ESN #s

Isn't there some way to mask the ESN number? I remember hearing about this with the old analog cells... perhaps it is illegal? Perhaps not? Since this thread is so old I wonder if any will see it.

I would still love to have a i550 and use it with Sprint.

Sprint has a database of valid ESN's, so masking will not help.

If you want an i550 for sprint, you'll have to buy one that says sprint on it!
    My Palm phone evolution:

It seems like in theory it would be possible to use UniPst to update the ESN (as in a refurbish) of a non-sprint i550 to match an i500 and then stop using the i500.

I guess a copy of PSTI550.dll (and a Mexican SPH-i550) would need to be found...

Maybe there is a way to use i550 from Mexico, Ecuador or Venezuela in USA. I am bringing one from Ecuador. You should have an old working i500 that you don't use and have transfer all the info from that one to the i550.

There is a cell shop in San Luis Potosi, Mexico that they could do it with a special software (Service tool). You could contact him at memhta@yahoo.com.mx . I don't know if they speak english.

I will try in the next couple of weeks and I will let you know if it works.

Ric

good luck-you're gonna need it!
    My Palm phone evolution:

i would be down for experimenting with the ESN spoofing, although i'm positive it's illegal. i have some extra phones that could be rendered useless in the name of science.

if the thieves can do it to successfully steal your phone service -- why cant we do it to successfully get what we want?

Quote Originally Posted by ricgold View Post
    Maybe there is a way to use i550 from Mexico, Ecuador or Venezuela in USA. I am bringing one from Ecuador. You should have an old working i500 that you don't use and have transfer all the info from that one to the i550.

I will try in the next couple of weeks and I will let you know if it works.

Ric
    Bump...any luck?