+ Reply to Thread

Treo 600 'Expanding Favorites' doesn't work

Hi,

I am using TAKEphONE version 505m Beta (build 99e) on my Treo 600 (Rev B - CDMA Sprint). For some reason, I cannot get the feature "press SPACE on a favorites entry to pop all phone fields" to work. Favorites = Speed Dial entries, right? Is there a setting somewhere that I need to set in order to enable this feature?

Also, is there any way to be able to program Favorites with both 'hard' (wait until key-press) and timed pauses embedded in a phone number? Currently, the Treo 600 only allows timed pauses using a comma or a 'p' (I think).

Thanks!

-Brian-

Fully Converged
    Hi,

1. Can you give me an example of how a name is stored in Favorites and how it is stored in the address-book ?

2. I'm afraid the Treo built-in s/w introduces this issue (not handling hard pauses)...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE for PalmOS
    www.shsh.com

Name storage

Hello again,

I hope that I am answering your question with the information that you are seeking.... If not, let me know what I missed.

In my contacts list, I have several entries for which I have specified only a FIRST NAME -- such as for my wife, brothers, parents & friends. For this example, my wife's entry is under 'JACKIE'.

Now, as you probably already know, there are quite a few limitations with regards to the Favorites list on the Treo 600. For example, assigning a special ringer and/or picture to a contact is done by creating a Favorite for each & every PHONE NUMBER for the contact. If the contact has three phone numbers, then you need to create a Favorite for each one in order to have the special ringer/picture work for the 'Contact' in all situations.

So I have defined a Favorite for my wife's work pager so that I could automate the call back number using the 'extra digits' feature. This Favorite is labelled 'JACKIE (wP)'. Due to display limitations, the Favorite is shown as 'JACKIE (wP' (without a right parenthesis) though.

To be more concise, my situation is this:

1) In Contacts, I have an entry for my wife 'JACKIE' (only first name is defined). She has a few different phone numbers assigned to her (pager, mobile, work, home).

2) In Favorites, I have an entry for my wife's work pager. The Favorite is labelled 'JACKIE (wP)'.

3) If I select/highlight the Favorite 'JACKIE (wP)' and press SPACE, a box pops-up containing all four of her phone numbers.

4) In TAKEphONE, if I select/highlight the Speed Dial/Favorite for 'JACKIE (wP)' and press SPACE, nothing happens. Her other phone numbers are not listed.

Make sense or not?

-Brian-

Fully Converged
    Hi,

Please try the new build I posted (5.05m 99h) at www.shsh.com/beta
    Shimon Shnitzer
    www.shsh.com

Bad news...

Sorry to report that the latest version (99h) did not fix the problem. Pressing SPACE on my wife's Speed-Dial entry (which I described in my previous post) still does not show her additional phone numbers. Nothing happens when I press SPACE.

Just in case it matters, I installed the new version directly over the old. I did not delete the old version first. Could this cause any issues with regards to seeing the new functionality that you put into the latest version?

Thanks for your excellent support!

-Brian-

Fully Converged
    Hi,

Can you tell me if the actual phone numbers are stored differently in the contacts and favorites ?
    Shimon Shnitzer
    www.shsh.com

Phone Numbers

Well, they don't appear to be stored differently other than TAKEphONE has the extra digits appended to the end of the phone number.

In Contacts, for example, I have my wife's work pager entered as '111-222-3333' (and I explicitly entered the hyphens in the number).

In Favorites, the number is stored the same -- '111-222-3333' with extra digits defined using the MORE option. I do not have the extra digits dial automatically -- I prefer to hit the 'extra digits' box manually.

In TAKEphONE, the Speed-Dial entry shows the phone number as '111-222-3333x4445556666'. Possibly, are you including the extra digits in your comparison?

Hope that helps!

-Brian-

Fully Converged

Re: Phone Numbers

Originally posted by bmahan
    Well, they don't appear to be stored differently other than TAKEphONE has the extra digits appended to the end of the phone number.

In Contacts, for example, I have my wife's work pager entered as '111-222-3333' (and I explicitly entered the hyphens in the number).

In Favorites, the number is stored the same -- '111-222-3333' with extra digits defined using the MORE option. I do not have the extra digits dial automatically -- I prefer to hit the 'extra digits' box manually.

In TAKEphONE, the Speed-Dial entry shows the phone number as '111-222-3333x4445556666'. Possibly, are you including the extra digits in your comparison?

Hope that helps!
    CORRECT !

Thanks !!!

Fixed that - download 5.05m 99k at www.shsh.com/beta
    Shimon Shnitzer
    www.shsh.com

It works!!!!! Another '?' (cringe!)

Thank you so much! Your level of support is 'out-of-this-world'!

I couldn't believe it when I went to download the version that you mentioned (99k) only to find that you had issued TWO Newer versions already! The latest was 99m.

Don't you ever sleep?!

==========================================

Am I allowed to throw you another semi-related 'curve ball'? See below! I apologize in advance!

==========================================

The situation is this:

I have entries in my Contacts list for myself & my wife. We both have multiple phone numbers, email addresses, etc -- including, obviously, sharing the SAME Home phone number. Now, I happened to create a Favorite (Speed-Dial) for my Home phone number. What should I see when I press SPACE on this Favorite?

In the Treo's Favorites application, I see all of MY other phone numbers. I assume that this is because, alphabetically, 'Brian' comes before 'Jackie'. And, obviously, the process takes the first match and then stops.

In TAKEphONE, I see all of MY other phone numbers as well as MY email addresses.

Do you think that I should see the other phone numbers (& email addresses) for my wife as well?

I know that this is probably a very 'odd' situation but I can see this being applied to a (small) business environment as well. Like, maybe, a company (e.g. XYZ Company) has a general 'Main' phone number that you need to call and then tell the operator/receptionist to whom you would like to speak. If there happens to be multiple people (e.g. Tim ,Tom, Jim & Joe) at this company that you deal with, shouldn't you see their email addresses (Tim@XYX, Tom@XYZ...), etc as well?

Obviously, another way to go about this is by doing a search on the company name....but the SPACE feature is supposed to be a short-cut, right?

Of course, this would create 'issues' with how to display (& differentiate) between all the phone numbers & email addresses.

Sorry for the headache!
    Last edited by bmahan; 01-13-2004 at 11:02 AM.

-Brian-

Fully Converged
    Hi,

Cool idea, but -

Afraid this would be a bit too much right now - I want to make this a release asap...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    www.shsh.com