+ Reply to Thread

Thread: @#$%^!!!!!!

IT Goofball

@#$%^!!!!!!

argh!

guys (pdaphonehome.com) - c'mon! improve the 'search' component here!

I know there are so many people learning all these PPC's potentials, and they often ask the same question over and over again in various forums here - and yes I was one of those people.

However, the 'search' feature here SUCKS!!! Even after 2 years, I still can't find anything on here. What's up with the character verification?? wait 20 seconds later?? case sensitive?? I'd type something to search, and it has NEVER found a damned thing.

Sorry, I'm being vocal as possible to assist everyone here, but this is a great site, but the search feature here needs to improve to better help everyone - new and experienced PPC users for that matter.

So please, in the name of all that's holy and kind - improve the search component, or forever be bombarded with "guys, I'm new here, what's a good application to have on here?"

Gah!!!

James

Administrator
    you need to approach this site and its owner in a respectable manner. there is no reason to get all "vocal".

im not sure what you are looking for but the search feature works just fine. you have to understand theres thousands upon thousands of threads and many more posts so if you dont have an idea of what you are looking for, it can be a bit hectic. but whenever i search i find what im looking for. i suggest you read the tips on how to search on this site for some help. if there is something you need that you can not find, feel free to PM a moderator and ask for their help. you can also hit me up via email and ill help.

IT Goofball
    Quote Originally Posted by Marctronixx View Post
    you need to approach this site and its owner in a respectable manner. there is no reason to get all "vocal".

im not sure what you are looking for but the search feature works just fine. you have to understand theres thousands upon thousands of threads and many more posts so if you dont have an idea of what you are looking for, it can be a bit hectic. but whenever i search i find what im looking for. i suggest you read the tips on how to search on this site for some help. if there is something you need that you can not find, feel free to PM a moderator and ask for their help. you can also hit me up via email and ill help.
    That's part of the problem - I've managed to simply ask away when the same question has been asked dozens or more times. Don't get me wrong, I've come a long ways, and have managed to learn just as you have.

It's the new users that I'm concerned for. As I've said, I've tried to do a 'search', followed the tips, and still no go (I'm an IT guy myself, so I certainly know how to do a 'search'). In order to assist new people when they want to find the answers via search, as opposed to post a question, and pray someone does acknowledge and provides input. Or worse - no answer at all.

Anyways, I can only assume being a moderator, you must feel a sense of "oh no, not another question, use the Search button buddy!". Yet people have tried, and can only repeat the same question over and over again on here. Maybe the fault is mine, as I frequent here to learn new things, but I'm finding that people are posting the same thing time and time again.

I admire your patience and willingness to help others, but there are people who know how to do a search, yet the search feature on this site isn't effective.

Not to be a **** disturber or anything.

Thanks,

James

Administrator
    well as i told you, when i see new users ask questions thata have been discussed, i tell them they can send me an email (PMs i dont get but email i get ASAP) and i will find the info they are looking for if it exists... i have been with this site since BEFORE it began and i know a lot about where certain info is and i can use search terms that others may not use, hence why i ask folks to send me an email if they need help. i love this site and want to see it flourish, which is why i spend as much time as i can here. i googling this site from google is a great way to get info quickly but it can be overwhelming...

in the end, the site owner wants to give the users what they want, so if you have any constructive feedback on how to help the search, then by all means contact the site owner, Convergent, and let him know your thoughts. coming from an IT background, you may have info that we mods dont have...

IT Goofball
    rest assured - if there are any tips and tricks I've learned, I do share.

*winks*

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    The biggest complaint we have on searching is that people have trouble with the image verification. The simplest suggestion I can make for that is register and login. If you do that, then you will never have to do the image verification again. There is no negative of registering, so I really don't see why people who are having problems with the image verification wouldn't do this. That feature is part of the base vBulletin system which we can't change without resorting to custom code, or disabling it (which would have a big negative performance consequence).

Other than that, you know that there is a four character minimum for search terms, and you can use the "*" wildcard if you need to go with longer arguments. The search method we are using isn't the best, but it gives a good trade-off with overall site performance. We will be happy to embrace and enable new features of vBulletin as they become available and stable, but based on the current system and performance balancing, this is the best search we have available.
    Mike - Been Converged?