View Poll Results: Your opion of the reloading and reloading and reloading webpages / advertisments

Voters
0. This poll is closed
  • I dont mind because of the wealth of information here!

0 0%
  • It drives me up the wall!

0 0%
Closed Thread
    I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

WHO HERE IS DISGUSTED WITH THE RELOADING PAGES ???

Have you slowed or just nearly stopped coming here, either from windows or your phone?

I know that some of the admins might look at this as deconstructive critisism, but i think the owner of this site might like the honest feed back from his supporters.

Über-converged
    As I posted in the other thread verbatim:

Quote Originally Posted by compooternurd View Post
    Damm, could someone please ask the owner of this web site to end the incessant loading and reloading of the web pages / ads?

Its nausiating..
    Ummm... How about you? I too am really annoyed by the constant ad reloading but posting in a thread wont help. Try contacting convergent (i think) and kindly expressing your displeasure. And being rude won't help, so slip him a nice PM. I encourage others to do the same.
    Palm IIIe > Palm IIIxe > Zire71 + Samsung a660 > PPC-6700 > Sprint PPC-6800 Mogul
    Help make your wireless company fair

I stopped going to Sprintusers for this same reason.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

yeah

i have found out nearly the hard way that i have to walk on eggshells.

I have been stupid in the past with my arrogant conclusions, even though i still come across as rude 1/2 the time.

I like the forum alot, i almost get nauseous with the clicking and reloading. Im not trying to be dramatic, i actually feel queezy right now, i think its the reloading ad on the right side that keeps pulling my right eye to it, while im trying to concentrate on either typing or reading, some how the clicking noise seems to exacerbate it.

and the site is soooo slow because of it.
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Ad Block Plus for FireFox makes the internet a nice place.

I think the point is to draw your eye to the ad, right? You should probably leave that part out when you contact them to complain!

I use Ad Block Pro for IE7. works nicely. I would offer to check it out.

Adblock Pro : Make your browser faster and cleaner with no ads

Über-converged
    Quote Originally Posted by zebroid1 View Post
    I think the point is to draw your eye to the ad, right? You should probably leave that part out when you contact them to complain!
    Good point. Lets revise that complaint:

"...and those reloading ads are extremely distracting. I often find myself looking at an ad with interest only to be shocked and disappointed as it reloads with a much less intriguing product..."
    Palm IIIe > Palm IIIxe > Zire71 + Samsung a660 > PPC-6700 > Sprint PPC-6800 Mogul
    Help make your wireless company fair

Administrator
    LOL what is this mutiny? if you guys/gals have any issues with the site, then send CONVERGENT an email. he welcomes feedback from the users of this site. his goal is not to make you stop coming here, but he needs to generate money to keep this site going. some of you may know how much it costs per month to host a site and bandwidth, etc.

in any event, send Convergent a respectable email and voice your concerns. if his users stop coming here then he is wasting his money and your time. constructive feedback from the users will help convergent decide what he needs to do to keep you guys happy.

Convergent is in the process of moving to another state so he has not been on the site as much as he has wanted, but he wants all of you to know that once he gets settled in he will indeed get the site back up to speed.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I appreciate the concern on the ads, but don't think its appropriate to start a poll about it. I really doubt that you'd have anyone say they like ads, so I think we can predict the outcome. According to the site rules, if you have issues with things like this, you should post about them here, OR speak to me directly about it. I made the change to rotate ads about 5 months ago, and up until this thread, I have received only 2 complaints about it following some very negative effects that happened when I was initially testing it. During the testing, I made a lot of adjustments to minimize the effect, and also looked at how they were behaving with IE and Firefox browsers.

In terms of the ads, they are occupying no more space than they have in the past, however they are refreshing periodically. So the viewing of a page should be the same, or at least that was the intent. If you are hearing clicking in IE, this is a browser setting that can easily be changed. There is a sticky thread in this forum explaining how to change the setting. I use IE to browse the site and I don't get any clicking at all. Firefox doesn't do it to start with. By loading the images in iFrames, we are also allowing the page to load prior to the ads being loaded fully, which should avoid some of the page loading problems we experienced under heavy loading in the past. We added a separate dedicated server to just deal with the ads, and the current method helps pay for the server. If you recall, last year we had a lot of page loading problems frequently when the site saw heavy loads. You couldn't get to the site at all at times. I've got two high end servers now dedicated to this site.

The only situation that you will likely have a bad experience is if you are on a very low bandwidth connection such as using your PDA. The site is relatively heavy and has never been a good experience from a PDA, with or without rotating ads. That is why we have the PDA version of the site, and that is what I'd suggest you use to view the site from your PDA. I, and the moderators, use the site daily about as much as anyone, and I have no ad blockers on my machine (I can't speak for the moderators). I also often have several sessions up at the same time, so if it is going to be a bad experience, then I'm going to see it.

Bottom line is this is a free site. I have resisted going to other funding models besides advertising, and the changes in economy have really hit online advertising. Last month was terrible, and this month is even worse. When I get time, I'll re-look at the ad methods and see if there is any more optimization that can be done, but we need to fund the site. We try to be conservative and stay away from full page, pop-up, flashy, and noisy ads. Those types of ads pay a lot more than the ones we run, but they annoy the heck out of me so I dont' want to put things on the site that are that annoying.

Feel free to provide respectful discussion here about ads, but if the thread turns into a site bashing exercise, then I will close it. Because of the move, it will probably be several weeks before I have time to dig back into optimization, and I'm hoping a new version of our ad management system will help in the future, but that has been pretty slow coming. Thanks for using the site, and for giving us feedback.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I agree with the sentiment of the original poster. When this new page-refresh behavior started, I didn't write to complain nor did I post about it -- I just stopped coming here altogether because I find this so grating. I wouldn't be here today except that I'm having an issue with my phone and ppcgeeks seems to be down. Anyhow, I hope you find some alternative to the currently adopted solution because this one is definitely going to keep me away. Regards.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pcjoe View Post
    I agree with the sentiment of the original poster. When this new page-refresh behavior started, I didn't write to complain nor did I post about it -- I just stopped coming here altogether because I find this so grating. I wouldn't be here today except that I'm having an issue with my phone and ppcgeeks seems to be down. Anyhow, I hope you find some alternative to the currently adopted solution because this one is definitely going to keep me away. Regards.
    Umm... you kind of made my point. Our site was up and down a lot too and we now have proper server resources to support the load and have consistant availability. The increased ad revenue was useful in paying for the server resources needed to support the site properly. I am sorry that it didn't work for you.
    Mike - Been Converged?