+ Reply to Thread

Question Firefox prevents auto reloading.

I keep getting an error message from Firefox 3 only when I am on this website.
    "Firefox prevented this page from automatically reloading." I have to click on "ALLOW" 5 -6 times to close out this error message. It is only on this website and that is why I am mentioning here. I have looked on Firefox Web site with no luck. I have gone through all the options and nothing seems to help.
    I am running Win. XP pro. Wondering if anyone else has this problem. If I log in with UGH!! Windows browser, it is fine.

Administrator
    ya know its probably some script or a bogus AD thats jamming you up on this site. this site had rotating ads and its possible a bogus AD slipped in. ill alert the site owner, Convergent, about this.

thanks for your offer- sounds like you hit it right on the head.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    This site does reload, by design. This allows the site to load, and then the ads load independent served from a separate server. This results in better performance than before we did it that way. If you've got your browser set to prevent the site from reloading, then that's why you are probably getting those errors. I don't know any way around it unless you have a way to disable it prompting you to tell you that it blocked a reload. I am on the internet all day and have never had a problem, and I use Firefox, so my suggestion would be to turn off that reload thing as it is going to prevent a site from behaving the way the site designer intended it. But its up to you.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I just loaded Firefox V3 and am not seeing the problem you described, so there must be some setting that you turned on which blocks sites to reload.
    Mike - Been Converged?

My problem just might be what you are saying. What setting in Firefox 3 do I need to change. I've looked through the options, and made changes but nothing seems to help. UPDATE- it is happening on many different websites- not just this one. Just found that out. One more detail- I just changed back to Firefox 2 and it works fine.
    Last edited by vegasman; 07-08-2008 at 09:47 AM.

I understand the ads help pay for the site, but has anyone noticed any slowing of performance. I run Vista Ultimate with IE and it seems that indeed IE hangs for a good while (Little circle rotating for a couple minutes). Ths often leads me to close this tab of the browser for this site and the problem goes away. Does this happen with Firefox too?

BTW, what is the latest version of Firfox... I have a recent install of Vista and have not installed Firefox yet.

That latest version of Firefox is V3. I just loaded it after reading this thread and haven't had any problems in V2 or V3. I've used V2 Firefox and IE with XP extensively and not had any problems, and also used V2 and V3 Firefox with Mac OSX, as well as Safari. So that should cover most browsers that are used here.

The site loads from one server, and the ads load and reload from a separate server. There shouldn't be a delay in the page loading and being usable while the ads load. The site has been like this for over a year and we haven't made any changes made. That doesn't mean we don't have a problem, but I'm just suggesting that it may be a configuration problem on your browser.

The only problem I've been able to repeat is the clicking in IE, which we have instructions posted on how to disable that in the browser configuration.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    That latest version of Firefox is V3. I just loaded it after reading this thread and haven't had any problems in V2 or V3. I've used V2 Firefox and IE with XP extensively and not had any problems, and also used V2 and V3 Firefox with Mac OSX, as well as Safari. So that should cover most browsers that are used here.

The site loads from one server, and the ads load and reload from a separate server. There shouldn't be a delay in the page loading and being usable while the ads load. The site has been like this for over a year and we haven't made any changes made. That doesn't mean we don't have a problem, but I'm just suggesting that it may be a configuration problem on your browser.

The only problem I've been able to repeat is the clicking in IE, which we have instructions posted on how to disable that in the browser configuration.
    Still cannot figure out what I might have configured wrong. I downloaded and installed firefox 2 and it works fine and without my problem. So until/unless I figure out what is wrong, I'll stay with FF 2.

Do you have any plugins that could be blocking it.. like an ad blocking plugin. I know many plugins/addons/extendsions needed to be updated to run on FF3
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

ITS THE SETTING, Tools, Options, Advanced, then uncheck, 'Warn me.....' option.

thanks- that was it.