+ Reply to Thread

Green Card Popup

I keep getting this occasional popup trying to offer me an entry into a Green Card Lottery. I'll post up the URL when it happens again. At first I thought it was my PC but it only happens while visiting this site.

EDIT: here it is Green Card Application Process | step 1
    Last edited by mrsyeltzin; 11-13-2008 at 08:26 PM.

I just got that too, knocked me out of a Quick Reply! Super annoying. I thought I was going INSANE until I saw this post!

What kind of ad completely and irrevocably redirects to a totally different website without warning? That sounds like a hell of a scam at worst, and the sloppiest kind of coding at best (on their end, not yours, PDAPhoneHome admins).

Quote Originally Posted by savedR View Post
    I just got that too, knocked me out of a Quick Reply! Super annoying. I thought I was going INSANE until I saw this post!

What kind of ad completely and irrevocably redirects to a totally different website without warning? That sounds like a hell of a scam at worst, and the sloppiest kind of coding at best (on their end, not yours, PDAPhoneHome admins).

It seems like it's a popup (that opens in a new tab for me) half the time and the other half it just redirects the page. I'll open up a new thread in a different tab in FF and the next thing i know I've got that green card thing. I actually thought it wasn't this site because it would redirect away and I would no longer be on pdaphonehome.com (of course forgetting I was there in the first place).

HAHA it redirected me during this reply. awesome!

Same here...super annoying!!! And my Spyware Doctor doesn't catch it.

Administrator
    ive sent an alert to Convergent. Thank you guys for being patient. sometimes bad ads sneak in as some of you may have noticed a time or two in the past.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    As Marc said, this is some rogue ad that has slipped into one of the networks. It is not intentional and completely violates our ad policies. We have not changed our ad rotation in well over a year and all the ad networks we use are tier 1 companies that we've been with for anywhere from 2-6 years. Please be patient and post anything you can to try and help us laso this thing. The challenge will be be to figure out what network its coming from. Most likely the ad is registered with the network as a different company and they have pulled a switch in their ad code or something, so it will be hard to find. I do apologize. I guess with the economy having so many problems, people are resorting to crazy things. We haven't had one of these pop up in a very long time.
    Mike - Been Converged?

A quick google search shows me that this is hitting a lot of forums, so we are not alone. One forum I was just on had a problem thread about this ad that went for 7 pages of replies!

Reading through that one, it seems like this thing is VERY, VERY nasty. The admin on that forum seems to think its coming from Google and has reported it numerous time yet they are still getting hit. They seem to think the ad has done something in a cookie. I will continue to look into this and try to figure out what is going on. This looks like a pretty big issue that is hitting many forums and blogs, not just ours, and it looks like whoever is doing it is pretty crafty.
    Mike - Been Converged?

From info on another forum (I had to join the forum to get this), they seem to think this ad is the culprit, a Google ad. The thing is that we don't allow any graphical banners in the Google spot, so this should never appear. Can you guys help me look for this? I need to find it popping up to see what network its coming from. If you see anything like this ad, please post here which spot it was in. If Google is serving it, it is totally against what we've got set for our campaigns.

I had this stupid ad pop up once while I was doing my original post, and since then in hours its not shown up.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Green Card Popup-greencardad.jpg  
    Mike - Been Converged?

FWIW PPCGeeks also gets the same ad, so maybe there is some similarity that can be found?

Well I've spent several hours tonight trying to figure out where this is coming from to no avail. I've put out some contacts with another forum having the problem, as well as a forum that is on ad networks. The only way that I seem to be able to stop it is to turn off javascript in the browser and then it never loads so I can see what it looks like or where its coming from. I'm sure we will eventually find it, but this is a particularly bad one. If anyone smarter than me has any ideas, let me know. If I can figure out where its coming from then we can get it stopped. The problem is that its most likely incognito with the network.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Dang... unbelievable. The morons doing this just spammed this thread!!! Arghhhh.... How stupid can they be to post spam in a thread where people are mad about them spamming via rogue ads??? I did ban them and dispose of the spam.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Through discussions with the admin at Cadillac Forums, I think we are narrowing down where this may be coming from. Hopefully we'll contain it pretty quickly.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Based on conversations with other forum owners and a lot of manual checking of campaign creative in the networks, I am 95% certain I know where the ad is being served from and have opened a ticket with that network to stop it. If I don't get any action from them, I'll just pull them completely out of our ad rotation. I do want to give them a chance to fix it first, however, because it is a fairly complex task to change the rotation and not mess everything up. I have not had the ad hit this morning... not sure if others have.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Seems like we either stopped them, or they went back under the rock they came from to wait for another day to attack. The network that I thought they were coming from denies that it came from them, but once I opened a ticket with them and argued a bit with them about the process of elimination that pointed to them, the attack-ad stopped being served to the best of my knowledge. I will assume this is fixed since no one is reporting a recurrence in the last few days.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Administrator
    Convergent,

excellent job on staying on top of this. im not sure many people would go the course to try and get this solved. the community thanks you.

thank you convergent!