+ Reply to Thread

script choking ie8

against my better judgment i let MS update ie to 8 on my laptop.

I dont actually have problems on any sites EXCEPT here on pdaphonehome at times.

It locks up my session and I have to restart IE.

once before it did it it said something about a bad script on the page and it would try to disable.

ANy idea what it is? I'll try to nail it down better but for now that's all i got.

Speak of the devil- just got it again.

ie is unresponsive then comes up with a error window:

“stop running this script?
    A script on this page is causing internet explorer to run slowly. It it continues to run your computer might become unresponsive.”
    Yes or no

Administrator
    i will alert the site owner and he should post back... thank you for taking time to update us...

I ran into this also. Go into tools/compatibility view settings and add this website to the list and it won't crash any longer.
    General Aviation is not the stepchild of modern aviation, it is it's father.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Odd... we've not changed any scripts on the site in a long time, so it sounds like Microsoft is moving the bar again with IE8. I know that when I watched the announcement by Apple for Snow Leopard, they talked about the new version of Safari and that it was 100% compliant with standards, vs. IE8 that I think only was about 30% compliant. It also blew away IE8 at executing scripts speed-wise.

If you can find any more info, let me know. I can try to change any of the scripts, but without knowing what is giving it a problem it would be shooting in the dark.

Personally, I only run IE when I absolutely have to, for the odd site that is coded to only work with it. But our goal is obviously for the site to work with any browser.
    Mike - Been Converged?

From my IT support perspective with my other clients, I've been having a fair amount of troubles with IE8 so I've recommended that people not install it for this very reason. When some calls me and sez they are getting a "script not responding" message, 9.5 times out of 10, they have recently updated to ie8 and the website that worked before for them is now choking on ie8... I hate it when MS changes the bar for their own designs, you would think getting sued in two continents would make them realize... I'll not go there!

So @michaelk I would uninstall ie8 before you get to many updates that are dependent on it and you'll never get it off!

@Convergent... I too use IE only when I have to.. and I have to less and less since I installed "IE tab" add on in my Firefox. It allows you to use the IE rendering engine in a Firefox tab... its cool.
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 06-24-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

it happens more often than not when i go to edit a post. But sorry I can't provide more specifics.

I am SURE it's MS changing the bar (moving is too nice I think)- and it sucks even more for the poor website owners becasue MS basically downloads it on anyone that doesn't know to stop it. Worked fine with IE7 and firefox works fine too.

I am under the impression that you can request the site automatically get added to the compatibility list- might want to look into that rather than rewrite everything for the borg.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I'll definitely look into that, because it would take me a while to upgrade the site... we are a few versions back on the forum script and lots of custom stuff would need to be redone. I've been trying to use the "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" rule... but a new IE that doesn't work could be a pain.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    I'll definitely look into that, because it would take me a while to upgrade the site... we are a few versions back on the forum script and lots of custom stuff would need to be redone. I've been trying to use the "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" rule... but a new IE that doesn't work could be a pain.
    I'd suggest you don't change anything. As I said above, all I had to do was use compat. mode in IE8 and it worked fine immediately.

-Max
    General Aviation is not the stepchild of modern aviation, it is it's father.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    I'd suggest you don't change anything. As I said above, all I had to do was use compat. mode in IE8 and it worked fine immediately.

-Max
    yep- I manuallyt added the site to compaitbility mode list and it's been perfect.

I poked around and looks like if enough site visitors manually add your site to compaitibility mode that our browsers let the borg mothership know and you get added to the list for everyone.

incedently seems that ie8's "ie7 compatibility mode" isn't even the same as ie7. So you actually need to test against the real ie7, ie7 mode in ie8, and ie8 native mode. The borg really love the community....