+ Reply to Thread

"Virus Doctor" virus on this site

twice in the last week I have gotten a pop-up that my computer has a virus click OK to scan it.

This is a Scam

Are they allowed to advertise here? I don't see a link but can't figure out why it is happening only on this site.

lenny

Lenny
    if you can get the URL and/or a screen shot of the Ad that is causing it the Site admin/owner, Convergent, would like to find out if there are rogue ads have made their way into the ad banners. Post what you find in the Site Problems thread. This has happened before through no fault of the owners but as a result of someone trying to sneak these ads through the system. Convergent is really active about chasing them down.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Got hit again

I have attached a screen shot
    Attached Files

1. Wow that's a lot of toolbars...are you sure it's not coming from there?

2. I don't see this site listed as being open in your browser...

It's not the site, your computer has malware.
    Try this fix.

Its this site, the same day this post was created I also got the same thing though it has not happened since.... Mine happened when I clicked the "Search This Forum" link.

I get the Virus Doctor intrusion from time to time on this site.... Scans show nothing on my computer. I have to go to program manager and stop it from running. It appears they've got something planted somewhere on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
    1. Wow that's a lot of toolbars...are you sure it's not coming from there?

2. I don't see this site listed as being open in your browser...
    Nope, it is this site. I only get the alert when I'm on this particular site. As soon as the "Ad" hit's it takes you to the site where the bogus scan starts. it is not a real scan there are no virus's on your computer.

You have to hit Cntrl Alt Del and close IE.

Stay on this site and let the Ads click through. after a few minutes you will get hit.

Lenny

I hate those rogue antivirus/antispware exploits.. I spend way too much time chasing them off my clients PC's... As I stated earlier if anyone can isolate the Ad that is generating the exploit the Site admins can shut it down..
    I'm curious of those that have gotten it which browser they are using? I use Firefox 3.5 and I've not gotten it and I'm on the site all the time...lwleedy I noticed in your screen shot you are using IE... eesh it seems these things always sneak through IE somehow.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I've got Safari, Firefox, and IE running nearly all the time and haven't seen it. If I can get something to work from, then I can certainly check the ad networks to see if they are serving it.
    Mike - Been Converged?