+ Reply to Thread

Android PDAPhones Section?

With the growing number of Android OS based smartphones, recommend their own section with a general Android OS forum within for developers.
    Ron Honey
    7135 Nut

Administrator
    hello, if you look midway down there are sections for the G1, droid, eris and hero.

in regards to the general OS section for developers, ill have the site owner , Convergent, chime in. i think its a great idea....

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I am going to be reorganizing all the forums soon. Android is getting big enough to warrant its own section and I plan to split it out like the other platforms. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Android section

Just a thought...

There are now enough different phones running the Android OS for pdaPhoneHome to create a Forum section for Android rather than lumping all the phones using Android in "other pdaphones".
    Dave

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?

Lightbulb How about a Droid Incredible forum?

My pre-order's on the way. Looking forward to have a place to go with it when I fire it up.

Mark

I found this post interesting because I was about to make a reog suggestion when I came upon this thread. What I am about to suggest may appear to be a bit risky because it might be 6 months to a year ahead of time.

It appears as if the phones may soon start to fade a bit to the background. Sure they will always be important to some degree and there should still be forums for them. However it appears with the iphone, blackberry and now windows mobile phone to arrive we are about to enter into the world of the platform. You are either a Window, iphone, blackberry and sure android user who just happens to have a particular phone. I am slow to add android because I do believe they are following Microsoft's about to be old lead by creating different phone versions. The android has the potential to fragment into different segments based on the phone manufacturer and cell carrier. In fact there are already programs being marketed to the phone rather than the platform.

Returning to original idea I do think there will be a more focused marketplace on the platform rather than the phone. One advantage of this change will allow the forums to be more active because they won't be segmented into the many dozens of important phones out there. What do you think?

An EVO sub-forum would be appreciated, there are some great resources out there but nothing brings mobile devices together like pdaphonehome! The collection of people and ideas here have been super helpful way back in the Samsung i730/i830 days. I look forward to being back here under the Android flag (for now, anyway).
    In the palm of my hand...

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    Looks like somebodies "hobby" is no longer "fun". This site will either evolve or fade away...
    From where I'm sitting, it's Iphone and Android for the money. Looks like Sybian is a US no show and Windows Mobile is "dead". Is anyone waiting for a WM7 phone?
    PS - having an EVO sub-forum before the Incredible is ridiculous.

Hi MEG, sorry for being late at the wheel. Its not so much a matter of being fun or not.. more like work overload. I have a lot of stuff to do to the site and have bought the latest version of vBulletin, but haven't had the time to work on it... will be a total redo. Not sure I agree that WM is dead, but we'll see. I agree that iPhone and Android are growing like crazy. I have an iPhone 4 reserved for launch day and will try to post a review on it. I'll also get the Incredible taken care of. Sorry for sleeping at the wheel too much. If anyone wants to help out with the site, let me know because we could use some moderators on some of the newer devices.
    Mike - Been Converged?

We now have an Android section and an Incredible forum! Sorry for the delay. I now need to create an iPhone section also and split it up somehow.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I know i am but what are you?
    Convergent, It's too bad that you are the only one who can "Admin" the site.
    I stopped coming to the site when i went from my O2, HTC, (WM phones). to a BB device as there was little or no info on that OS.
    I used to rely on this site for new phones coming down the pipe. The Droid X is coming (7/15/10) and looks like a Bad A88 phone. I hope you find your support, so this place can come back to what it used to be. (a central place for PDA info of course).

Administrator
    dangerous, there are more phone sites than ever before. we have a core group of people (yourself included) who still come by here and share info.

there are so many places people can go to find info. this site also had a certain demographic whereas, say , sprintusers, had a certain demographic (younger audience). things change... these phones are pretty much easy to use, wereas back in the samsung i300/i330 kyocera 6035/7135/hitachi G, etc days those phones had so much tech inside it prompted the geeks to get online and find info.

now the iphones and androids are all over the place. people usually now just go to a site, lurk (with no need to post), find their info and be on their way... although there may be a handful of registered users on this site daily, there are a couple hundred "lurkers" who slide on in and slide out..

its hard to find folk willing to volunteer their precious time on forums.. im a die hard fan of this site and always and forever will be. as long as Convergent keeps the lights on, ill be here...

I know i am but what are you?
    Marctronixx,
    thanks for your response.

I agree with you, there are many (more) sites our there and, I would never have ventured away from this site if say, there were a BB section and a handful of BB phones for me to keep up on..

There are a lot of Android phones, and more coming, and will probably be better than 50% of the phones in use in the next year or two.
    The IPHONE is the number one selling phone with 100Milion copies being sold through 2010 (i read that somewhere). The android phones are expected to over come that number SOONer than later..

I also agree that It's hard to find good volunteers to manage the site.

IPROB8 is an Iphone user since he gave up his I760 and still is here.
    Soon all the phones that are listed here will be gone, unless the newer PDA PHONE(s) are added to this HOME, Hey PDAPHONEHOME,,, dot com.....

You can't expect an Iphone user to moderate a Windows device or android device and really have their hear in it. (by the way, what phone do you have?)

Add to the Android phones section , the Top 7 android phones starting with the Droid X being released on 7/15/10 and i'm sure you will see activity increase here. That will bring a larger pool of people you can select from to help manage (or moderate) this site. Put some keyword filtering to block the real nasty stuff and let the users mostly self moderate the forums until you can "manage to whatever level you want too".

Sorry for the rant... Just want to see this site continue to grow and stay current with the times.

I will also be a member, by choice, as you say, "as long as Convergent keeps the lights on...."

Have a great weekend....

dangerous,

Appreciate the feedback. Marctronixx and I are the administrators of the site and that has been the case for years. We have had a lot of moderators over the years... and they come and go from time to time. We could certainly use a few more, but its really up to the community if someone wants to take that on or not.

As for the devices, we did have a Blackberry section with different devices at one point, but a rogue moderator kind of killed it by building a lot of content and then deleting it all. I collapsed things back into one forum after that because I didn't really have the time to try and sort it out and there weren't any other active moderators that were Blackberry fluent.

We've had an iPhone section since it was first released and several of us have iPhones, iprob8 and myself included. I just picked up the iPhone 4 last week.

Android is a rapidly growing platform and its tough to decide the best way to support it. I don't want 30 forums with 10 threads in them... if that is the choice then I would probably opt to just have one forum. Our strategy with starting new forums has always been that we start them when people ask for them. That at least shows enough interest that there are some folks who will be creating discussion in them.

We've never had moderators supporting forums for devices that they don't have, or are interested in. It is possible that they are still a moderator in a forum for a device or platform they used to have, and that is fine, but its up to the moderators if they don't want to continue that. Many of the moderators have switched platforms that they support over time.

Thanks for the feedback. I need to spend some more time on the site and install vBulletin 4.
    Mike - Been Converged?