+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down this site is becoming like hofo (and i don't like it)

i've been coming to this site for a while for it's wealth of information. i've migrated from the xda to the 6600 after upgrading. whenever people wanted help i've pointed them here. it seems lately this board is being taken over by board nazi's. post a simple question and prepare to be *****slapped. i must have posted the information about phone themes and dialing skins about 5 times in the past few months. it was no big deal. i didn't get pissed off and start trashing people. i hate to say it but i'd like to see the moderators step in and try and get the board back to the way it was. if someone posts a question that has been posted before, you can choose to ignore it if you are too stuck up to answer it. (it's not that hard) if i know the answer i'll try and help. i wouldn't bother trashing people just because they are new at it. the post that set me off said the clueless verizon people told him to upgrade when he didn't need to. doesn't seem like it would be justification to beat the guy up.

I agree, I think a friendly "push" to use the search, followed by either the answer to their question or a link to the search results that answer their question would do much more to help vs. posting with both barrels blazing... Most people who post "stupid" questions are new and have no idea about searching or anything, so to chastise them will do nothing to increase the membership of our community and plus is just downright wrong. First and foremost forums are there to help other people, so I think we need to tone it down a bit and try to be more constructive and less critical. This is ESPECIALLY true of seasoned members of the bbs, IMHO.
    Tom

What you don't want is to move from search Nazi's to Moderator Nazis. This is an open discussion and yeah some people are zealous in the way they post. Asking moderators to shut down disscussions becuase you don't like the tone is a bad idea. What if your idea of OK is different than their idea of OK?

To be fair, the Mods have done a good job so far in keeping this place nice and friendly (overall)

Just like you have a right to post a question that has been asked before, others have a right to respond, you suck do a search. But like mom said, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

I strongly dislike overly-moderated forums. I find the laissez-faire approach to be much preferable. If you feel that someone hasn't been helpful enough, feel free to come to the rescue and post a helpful post to counteract it. This board is so popular precisely because smart people hang out here... and from what I've seen most people get their questions answered in lightning-fast time--for free.

The world has all kinds of people in it, and everyone's not going to like everyone else. You can't expect a large forum to be an oasis from that simple fact of life.

Also, I want to add that the person you're complaining about in this thread has helped you a great deal, whether you realize it or not.

Dan

I agree everyone here has the right to post whatever they want (within the guidelines of the forums that is) but telling someone in a not nice way to use the search will more than likely result in them not returning, not exactly the best way to attract new members. We were all beginners at one time, I think sometimes we all lose perspective on that...
    T.

I usually don't participate in this type of thread but this time I think its important to add my agreement on this. I like this forum because it has always been a friendly and helpful place but lately I've noticed an upsurge in general nastiness coming from people who believe that everyone should start out from a experienced knowledge level and no one should ever have to learn and be helped to learn to use the tools available. A little kindness and help goes a long way to helping the new users to learn and to stay and feel welcome.

Its one thing to point out the tools available the proper netiquette and another to land all over someone who is new. If someone has been around for awhile and still hasn't learned that's a different story.

R

I would have to Second RaceDog's post.

Edit: But I would have to add that this is still the best place to hang out....at least that I have personally found. I never really felt welcome at HoFo. PocketPCThoughts is often times too slow to be of much use. SprintPCS is okay, but sometimes slow and posters can be very biased at times for or against a certain phone. TC's Other Phone Forum is actually a cool place to hang out, it can actually offer some great information and support, though obviously a lot slower than here.

The best solution I still think, is sad but sometimes necessary, is to post positive reinforcing posts to counter the negative or ones putting down for a newbie question. This is a far better approach than Monitors closing threads on a good or innocent question because of a bad response. There a certainingly a lot more helpful posters here than not. And even those that were hinted at in this thread still offer very informative posts and offer a great deal of support to us all.

I just think sometimes we have to recognize and remember we are all here to help and learn from all levels of users and approach each post as such.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05-14-2005 at 12:26 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    I would have to Second RaceDog's post.
    +1 on that. But I doubt anything will change - I've seen way to many boards overtaken by the #$&* of the world, just drives people away, board turns into a discussion between #$(*, board dies.

Moderator Nazi's are better than self-proclaimed Nazi's.

Like it is written in so many other places - if you don't have anything nice (or helpful) to say, don't say anything at all.

You know who you are.

Notice I don't hang out here as much as I used to. Too much negativity....

Has HoFo died? Not in the slightest.

This is THE source for information on CDMA Pocket PC phones (I realize there are other devices covered here but those forums aren't nearly as popular). Regardless of anything else, people will still come here to seek out information because here is where they stand the best chance of getting their question answered and moving on with their lives.

And rather than piss and moan about someone else, why not just "kill 'em with kindness" and start overwhelming the board with flowery prose to help newbies out with their questions? I know there are plenty of knowledgable people who primarily just lurk--why not lend a hand so it's not the same five people answering 90% of the questions?

Again, the only utopian forums I've ever seen are ones with about ten users. It is INEVITABLE that a large forum will have all kinds of different personalities--it's a reflection on society as a whole. You get overzealous moderators in here and you're going to see complaints about heavy-handedness.

It's a fine line the moderators have to walk, and I think they do a good job of staying out of all but the worst flamewars (which there aren't nearly as many here to begin with, compared to some other places).

I will say this--we need a proper FAQ for this forum--preferably in a wiki format so everyone can update and make changes as necessary. The current FAQ was a valiant effort, but the only one who can update the first post is mswlogo, and he's not here often enough to do that.

I really disagree with these "witch hunt" threads--they very rarely solve anything, and only serve to "incite the masses". This kind of thing should have been PM'ed to the individual involved or to a moderator.

Dan

Dan,

You make some very good points and a number of them I agree with. I do think this thread can be valuable if it doesn't degenerate into a name calling, finger pointing exercise.

I just wanted to add one thing on HOFO. I do go there but I spend more time here (when I have time) because the feeling is better/friendlier and there is more information about the particular devices that I use. I do spend less time on HOFO also because it does seem less friendly.

With that I'll also add that this will be my last post in this thread as I think it has run it course, given out its message and that's all it can do.

R

How are moderator Nazis better? A Moderator can move, delete, merge. A user can only post. So, if your moderator becomes a Nazi, information can get squelched. If you don't like a user, use the ignore user function. Then all you'll see is that the user posted, not the post itself. Just like they don't have to respond, you don't have to read it. The forums even give you tools for that.

You want information to flow freely, always.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Originally posted by IvanLasston
    How are moderator Nazis better? A Moderator can move, delete, merge. A user can only post. So, if your moderator becomes a Nazi, information can get squelched. If you don't like a user, use the ignore user function. Then all you'll see is that the user posted, not the post itself. Just like they don't have to respond, you don't have to read it. The forums even give you tools for that.

You want information to flow freely, always.
    Quoted for truth!

Dan

Add me to the like. Strongly agree!!!

I would like to make two points and I did search first and I have found
    1. There are post which are now old and outdated. Update, New products and discoveries arise from Newbie questions. Just looks at the new cases, BT and applications hitting the market.
    2. Some threads are just plain too big. How can someone read through 100 post just to find out it don’t work. Isn’t There more to life.

cheers

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    I agree, I think a friendly "push" to use the search, followed by either the answer to their question or a link to the search results that answer their question would do much more to help vs. posting with both barrels blazing... Most people who post "stupid" questions are new and have no idea about searching or anything, so to chastise them will do nothing to increase the membership of our community and plus is just downright wrong. First and foremost forums are there to help other people, so I think we need to tone it down a bit and try to be more constructive and less critical. This is ESPECIALLY true of seasoned members of the bbs, IMHO.
    Tom
    I agree completely, and I try to take this approach with the forum. You can see from my post count I am an active member, and I enjoy the "family" we have here. Most of the active posters do contribute positive info. There will always be some "edgy" people, but such is life. I, for one, will continue to help where I can, learn a ton, and add some witty repartee! (maybe not very witty to you, but I find it funny! )
    Jeremiah 29:11

A timely discussion.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Originally posted by mwfielder
    I agree completely, and I try to take this approach with the forum. You can see from my post count I am an active member, and I enjoy the "family" we have here. Most of the active posters do contribute positive info. There will always be some "edgy" people, but such is life. I, for one, will continue to help where I can, learn a ton, and add some witty repartee! (maybe not very witty to you, but I find it funny! )
    I agree... we as members can dictate the feel of the forum. By encouraging a helpful discourse and not incite arguements if someone gets rash. When necessary I've found the mods to be even handed when the flame wars get out of hand.
    I like hanging out here and have found few forums that have as friendly and family an atmosphere as this. People were always helpful for me and I just try to pass it on.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Thank for your thoughts on the matter guys. Just a reminder that if see a post you don't like, please report it using the "report this post to a moderator link" as there is no way we can go over every post in every forum we are responsible for everyday.

Sorry I'm late to the thread. I think there is only one person that consistently berates our newbies, Ehud. After Ehud makes his remarks, theres a few that will bandwagon with him. Mods don't seem to care though, I've used the "report this post" many times.

I am a reformed "search nazi". When the board was much smaller and there were only a few of us answering most posts, I would get irritated when someone came on and had not tried even the most basic research before asking a question that had been asked dozens or hundreds of times. Every few weeks I would pick some poor newbie and let them have it (although usually with a link to their answer).

Now, I just ignore questions that I have answered several times, and someone else always steps in with the answer. The board is also so big now that it is hard to dig through the search results for valid answers unless you know for a fact the answer is there.

Alan