+ Reply to Thread

Ad Pop-ups Now on Pdaphonehome?

For the last two days or so I am now getting pop-up ads here on pdaphonehome. It was my understanding that these types of ads were being specifically avoided because of their incredible nuisance value.

Is it a new policy here to have these floating ads popping up in the middle of the forums?

R

Administrator
    of course we dont condone popup ads. this is not tolerated here.

let me ask, what ad(s) did you see? was it a car ad?also, what other programs were you running at the time? AIM? and other instant messaging service? did you scan your pc for spyware?

First off let me tell you that I own two internet related companies so I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to virus or spyware or just computer related "stuff". There were no other programs running and there is neither spyware nor any virii running on my machine. There are always a number of processes running on any machine that I use because of my businesses and the manner in which I use my machines, both at work and personal at home.

The first ad was car related and I didn't pay much attention to it other than it caught me by surprise when it came up. The other happened this morning and again I didn't pay any attention to the ad material only that it was an annoying pop-up ad. I will pay more attention the next time. The ads were not ones that I remember seeing on other websites and I don't go to very many website at all except for a very few that I use on a regular basis and they are not sites that are likely to be infested or hijacked.

I'll get more information the next time one pops up.

R

Yeah, I've seen the car pop up as well. I'll try to remember the details next time I see it...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Administrator
    yo race,

i did not say you were ignorant to internet jive nor did i mean to ASSume that. i only asked pertinent questions to make sure we were all on the same page. no disrespect was intended amigo!

even though you are a guru in the internet jive that does not mean you know everything there is out there. again no disrespect is meant, just trying to get on the same page here.

the reason i asked if any IM programs were running is because i noticed a pop up ad for hyndai (spelling) here. it was on my home computer. prior to seeing this ad pop up i JUST installed AIM on my computer minutes before i saw the ad. before i installed AIM i had never seen any pop ups on this site. im using FF browser. i also know a bit about all of this stuff but i dont know everything.

Administrator

did it look like this?

was this the ad?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ad Pop-ups Now on Pdaphonehome?-popup.jpg  

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    yo race,

i did not say you were ignorant to internet jive nor did i mean to ASSume that. i only asked pertinent questions to make sure we were all on the same page. no disrespect was intended amigo!

LOL,

I didn't take any disrepect from your question. I was only interested in giving you some background because today if you can spell "pc" you are a "guru". I wanted to give you a little background to establish where I was coming from.

If you really want to know how far back I go I'll give you this little tidbit. Many, many years ago in computerville, hard drives were thick nickle cadmium plates.
    At that time I was going to law school and worked at a place called Data Magnetics to earn my keep. I was phenomenally lucky enough to get a job in the environmental test lab there and was on the team that developed the magnetic oxide plates that are used today. We develped this stuff for Sperry-Univac, Digital Equipment Corp. CDC etc. We had no monitors, we had no mouse's, we had no keyboards. We fed the computers via paper tape readers, or toggle switches (you have NEVER, EVER programmed a computer until you've entered it via toggle switches)!!

So, you see the english that I use is probably more formal that what most others use in here (that are younger) and sometimes people take that for "uppityness" or "irritation", its usually neither, its just the way I write. I never took offense at your question so no need to offer an explanation or apology.

And now that I've completely aged myself its time to end this longer than expected post.

R

That was probably one of the ads. As I said I didn't really pay any attention to what the ad was for, I was more stunned that I was seeing it at all but it would be safe bet to say that was one of them.

R

Yup, that was it. Must have been Equus that hacked into the site...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Administrator
    LOL MW, i was thinking the same thing!!! LOL...

Originally posted by mwfielder
    Yup, that was it. Must have been Equus that hacked into the site...
    lol
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I haven't seen that ad... I'll take a look and see if I can figure out where it is coming from and kill it. If it happens again, grab a screen print of the bottom part of the screen. It is most likely coming from the ad at the bottom of the page. The more info I can get, the easier it is to track it down and get rid of it.

Thanks for your patience.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Administrator
    mikey, did you see the bottom left on the screen grab i posted? does that help any?

I did, I think it was that Hyundia commercial and I banned it so we'll see if it repeats.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I had forgotten about a program I used to use on my computer called AdSubtract Pro, just reinstalled and now, no more pop ups or even embedded ads!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

So is anyone else getting popups? There shouldn't be any coming from this site.
    Mike - Been Converged?

MEG
    Have you seen my stylus?
    I have NEVER had a pop-up from this site.

Thanks,

Mark

I actually never had one either!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Nope no pop ups but I use Safari on my MAC and have PoP ups disabled too
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.