Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Member Bashing Threads !!

There shall be NO member bashing threads accepted in these forums. If ANY of you have ANY issues PM the member or PM a moderator............DONOT POST IT IN A THREAD AS IT WILL BE DELETED, OR SOMETIMES IT IS UPTO THE DISCRETION OF A MODERATOR TO DELETE THE ENTIRE THREAD.
    Thank you all for a very good job of helping each other in these forums and for keeping it clean and a fun place to be.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Here! Here!
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    who the hell are you? the thread police? what? you think this is kindergarten or something? skin too thin maybe? don't waste my time.

Originally posted by str82hell
    who the hell are you? the thread police? what? you think this is kindergarten or something? skin too thin maybe? don't waste my time.
    Maybe you missed the "Moderator" title.

By the way, that does make him the thread police.

now i'm scared. ooooooooh!! and the reason for this forum is what? get a thicker skin. what a waste of bandwith.

panties in a twist boys?

If you can't stand the heat, get the (fill in the blank) out of the kitchen. We come here for help, apparantly you do not. And your name fits.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Originally posted by str82hell
    panties in a twist boys?
    Must be a Red Sox fan...

The forum here has established itself with a certain personality. This has been written into the forum rules, if anyone cares to read them. A "family" atmosphere is the goal, and no cursing, member bashing, or otherwise obnoxious behavior will be tolerated. Also, there will be no extensive flashing graphics or pics dominating the threads like so many of the forums out there.

These are some of the reasons that so many of us like about this site, and what I believe makes it so popular. Good advice and tips, pushing the envelope, and good fun. I think Mike should be very proud of what he has created here, and I think he has picked good moderators to help keep it that way. Just my .02 worth.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Not that you (or anyone here) has the authority to judge.

Originally posted by Catman51
    And your name fits.

I totally agree SD, it's too bad there are some people here that think they are better than others and feel that gives them the right to talk down to other people. I'm all about helping people get information, even if the same question has already been asked.

T_squared, I don't think you read SD's comments because he was saying the same thing you are. I'm adding my $.02 worth of agreement on that. I used to post quite a bit but since buying a ppc6600 and reading those forums, I've lost a lot of desire to post or ask questions since some people feel compelled to jump all over those who either make the mistake of not doing a search (usually because they a VERY new) or because they didn't make an explanation of how they did search but didn't find an answer.

The attitude expressed that jumps all over newbies or anyone who doesn't ask an "approved" question has made the ppc6600 forums a lost less fun and a lot less inviting.

I don't feel much like posting anymore and I've been here for awhile, I can imagine how it must be for someone new and eager who has purchased their first pda who posts their first question and then gets jumped all over. Sure don't think that makes them feel welcome or like coming back.

Anyway, that's my opinion, as always YMMV!!

R

yes, sometimes people forget that they too were a n00b with this phone at some point.

Its pointless to waste bandwidth bashing someone when it would take half the time to just give the answer.

Like it was said before, sometimes its a pain to search for hours and days when someone can answer the question for you in minutes. Granted, searching is still the best way to find things, as you usually run across things you wouldnt have asked about, but learn ahead of time so you dont have to ask later. However, after an hour or 2 of searching and reading I much prefer to just ask.

Its about time this thread was made.

Thx equus.
    Sprint Mogul (PPC-6800) - dcd 3.0.1 ..... 3.35.04 ..... OliPro 2.40 ..... 60610 PRL
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.07.00 WWE ..... HA00_166 (spare phone laying around)
    Sprint PPC-6600 - 2.04.00 WWE ..... HA00_140 ..... 1.36.113 WWE (used for GPS only)

Racedog, I don't see in SD's posts where he talks about people that feel they are better than others....but I was basically agreeing with what he said....sorry if you feel I wasn't reading.

sounds like some general 'member bashing' goin' on in the 'no member bashing thread.'

roflmao..............
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

I was just apologising....no bashing here....lol

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar

An argument for bashing?

The funny thing is that I'm not sure I've ever seen a newbie get "bashed" just for asking a question.

Are they told to search before asking? Yes, but posting a reply telling someone to search before asking (even if done brusquely) isn't bashing. I'm not sure why this would bother someone unless they felt guilty about not searching in the first place.

Now, I have seen some bashing in the forum. Mostly this has been when someone attempts to hijack a thread, and in my opinion a little bashing in that instance isn't completely unwarranted (OK, it was me - I admit it and I'll try to stay on topic in the future).

Oh - there is one more general case I've seen, and it's my personal favorite. The type of poster who is new to the phone, and regards this group as their personal tech support staff. We've all seen these threads. They're the ones who ask questions, get responses, and say "yeah, but I don't want to work that hard" or "but I'm a non-techie - can't you do this for me?" At this point, much bashing generally occurs, and as long as it doesn't sink to the level of insults/slurs, I'm personally OK with that.

You see - I don't post much because I don't always have the time to research a response - but I read a lot. Frankly, I know way more about this phone because this group has conditioned me to search for an answer instead of opening a new thread to ask a question. I don't always get the answer I'm looking for right away, but I usually find something interesting that helps me later.

To me, that's the value of this group. If I need an instant response, I'll pay a technical support resource for it I'm not looking to use this group as a substitute for legwork, or to support the install base at my day job for me. I want to learn as much as I can about this wonderful (but oh-so expensive) toy that I bought. I suspect that there are a lot who feel that way.

So by all means, let's keep it clean, let's keep it from getting personal, and let's keep it legitimate - but don't be afraid to challenge each other. Some of the best threads ever have grown out of ones that began in conflict...

Moderators - you're doing a great job. Serial posters (and you know who you are) ditto.

I will now get off my soapbox. (Cue the dramatic closing music...)

Re: An argument for bashing?

Then you clearly haven't searched long enough.

Originally posted by EnnuiEnthusiast
    The funny thing is that I'm not sure I've ever seen a newbie get "bashed" just for asking a question.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar

Re: Re: An argument for bashing?

Originally posted by br549
    Then you clearly haven't searched long enough.
    heeheehee

The passive aggressive act of choosing not to post a reply to a repetitive question speaks louder than any witty redirect to search.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast