+ Reply to Thread

An alternative to random Postings

This is how you jump right in click on a guy at the top of the screen and start a PM, (If you lerk here long enough you will see the same names)to a member in the listings. I'm not trying to call any one out, I actually would rather answer your questions directly than read it is a posting. It keeps the board cleaner. It will however take longer to get a response.

This Does not mean however that you should skip over the searching or reading If you want answers you must actively per sue them. Also puting a " I did search " disclaimer at the front of your posts does not count.

I now this is a random blurb and pointless but i wanted to call attention to another way to get answer with out clogging up the board.

[QUOTE]
    ******* wrote on 08-28-2005 08:41 PM:
    what is the wifi hack? will this let me use wifi and my phone at the same time? if os, could you please direct me to some information on how to install it on my SCH-i730? Thanks!
    First welcome to the site. Second how did you manage to jump right into a PM to a infrequent member. Not that I mind just an odd way to go about searching.

Here is some of the information you need. in these posts.
    Wifi and Phone together - First Solution

Wifi and Phone together - Second Solution

I would recommend reading this as well

Faq V.2 - Samsung i730

This is By Mrailing and is the quickest way to catchup on all the possibilities. Please Read this and the first 2 to pages of the i730 forum.

This does not mean that you cant ask me questions...Just the opposite please do. However.....the quickest way to get a subject clarified is to read the topic and ask the questions in that topic.[/Qoute]
    -Jonas

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

haha that was actually how i got onto this board....I had one post and then I PMed a guy about something. You know, I think it helps the newbies feel more comfortable, sort of asking questions without everyone looking. But yeah, they should have searched...

I know the forum seems to be divided on this, but I really don't care if n00bs post questions in the forums. A little logical sense would be preferred (use the proper threads, search first), but chances are, if someone asks the question, there are probably about 10 people perusing the forum who want to know the same info. I would imagine by far the most people who read this forum are unregistered members looking for info, and any information would help.

With that said, I get about 1-2 PMs per week asking for help, and I answer them all (happy to do it). Whatever works. But I vote for asking in the threads so it can help all. The mods can always answer and lock it, therefore letting the thread die...
    Jeremiah 29:11

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    And because that is how I happened onto this site and began to use it, I felt comfotable enough to register and begin asking questions and posting experiences because I was not flamed by those with either inadequately sized grey matter or artificially inflated egos. Since those days, however, that has become the tone here and intervention is necessary, imo. If bandwidth costs have become unmanageable for the 'management' to handle the size of the site, another mathod than *****-slapping posters would be in order.

Originally posted by mwfielder
    I would imagine by far the most people who read this forum are unregistered members looking for info, and any information would help.

Yeah but i dont see the Mod's really making a big deal out of it, its more like a handful of the frequent users. I really dont get it, I mean they have time to tell someone to search, but not to answer a quick question? Yes you should search before hand and you should post in the correct forum, but just harassing the hell out of newbies doesnt help them learn or answer any questions. Thats the largest waste of time, energy, bandwidth, and disk space, if you ask me.

Originally posted by mrsyeltzin
    Yeah but i dont see the Mod's really making a big deal out of it, its more like a handful of the frequent users. I really dont get it, I mean they have time to tell someone to search, but not to answer a quick question? Yes you should search before hand and you should post in the correct forum, but just harassing the hell out of newbies doesnt help them learn or answer any questions. Thats the largest waste of time, energy, bandwidth, and disk space, if you ask me.
    I totally agree!! And lurkers are more likely to register if they see others well-treated.

I sometimes wonder if those posters that go on and on about searching and slapping down newbies instead of just answering simple questions along with a polite reminder to try a search next time really DON'T know the answers but just want to appear smart anyway.

Frank

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Originally posted by fmcgirt
    I totally agree!! And lurkers are more likely to register if they see others well-treated.

I sometimes wonder if those posters that go on and on about searching and slapping down newbies instead of just answering simple questions along with a polite reminder to try a search next time really DON'T know the answers but just want to appear smart anyway.

Frank
    BS

All the people that tell others to search are trying to teach, inform them. I used to ask people how to spell words until someone told me to look it up in the dictionary. I did and now I wilol always try and find the answer by searching. Impower the people!

Seriously? 'All'? Talk about BS! Do a search ( ) and you can easily locate all the multiple rude/dismissive/egotistical/disrepectful approaches to telling anyone, not just newbies, that essentially they are screwed unless they find their own way through what may amount to 50 pages of semi-related subjects, which doesn't empower anyone. It simply deflates what this site could be.

Originally posted by Mark_A_K
    BS

All the people that tell others to search are trying to teach, inform them. I used to ask people how to spell words until someone told me to look it up in the dictionary. I did and now I wilol always try and find the answer by searching. Impower the people!

what br549 said is exactly our points. Its one thing to help someone with the search options, telling them to search, but its another to be sarcastic and arrogant about it. If you treat people like they are morons because they didnt know how to search, then they wont learn, but if your nice about it, like im sure you are Mark_A_K, then people WILL learn.

And by the way.....not everyone on the internet are members of multiple (or any) forums. They just dont know about the 'rules' of search first or die.

Originally posted by mrsyeltzin
    They just dont know about the 'rules' of search first or die.
    But they learn pretty quickly, don't they?
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People

I came over from smartphonesource because I found the 7135 forum very helpful. There have been so many avenues of information to explore with new issues coming up all of the time. The regulars there always seemed to have fresh ideas and new approaches to some of the most simplistic and worn out questions.

Now I have an Audiovox PPC6600. I have had some questions about it for a couple of months which, as far my ability to search the internet goes, don't really have any answers. I have been continuing to search this whole time because folks keep getting slapped down in that forum. My observation is that it's just as easy to go ahead and help someone if you can. This creates a better environment for those of us who are not remarkably intelligent or technically oriented.

The one thing that needs to be recognized by this forum's users is that those who solely refer you to a 'search button' which is anything but a divining rod toward information are akin to those who would also smugly say 'Physician, heal thyself'. It's not your fault or the fault of all those who left this site because of the territiorial tantrums allowed and encouraged by their insider 'friends'. Those with detailed technical knowledge who belittle others are not worth being tolerated. Those who are in a position to change this scenario are complicite, yet, devoid of taking responsibility. Excellent points, all, Crain.

Originally posted by crain
    I came over from smartphonesource because I found the 7135 forum very helpful. There have been so many avenues of information to explore with new issues coming up all of the time. The regulars there always seemed to have fresh ideas and new approaches to some of the most simplistic and worn out questions.

Now I have an Audiovox PPC6600. I have had some questions about it for a couple of months which, as far my ability to search the internet goes, don't really have any answers. I have been continuing to search this whole time because folks keep getting slapped down in that forum. My observation is that it's just as easy to go ahead and help someone if you can. This creates a better environment for those of us who are not remarkably intelligent or technically oriented.