+ Reply to Thread

THis has got to be the

rudest forum I have ever visited. Anyone that is not a tech geek can't get anything done with the posted info on this site because half the instructions talk about things I have never heard of (and you have to decipher if it s a sprint or verizon issue...) Then when you ask, it is like you are the worst human in the world, you get chastised and then a locked thread. Whatever...I was going to add info, but I see that most you self annointed geniuses probably don't need it anyway......

Thanks to the admin for the link, I had found it by then..never thought to search for RAMBO, did not think it actually was a method, just thought the user made it up. Needless to say, the profile is on my machine, does not work, but don't want to ask anything else......

Sorry you've had a bad experience here.
    Not everyone here is rude - just ignore the rude ones. What I've done if I don't get the answer I need (or rude response) - is simply ignore them, and then ask the question again.

Welcome to the not so humble pdaphonehome. Enjoy your stay, just dont open your mouth.

The anonymity of the Internet doesn't do much to promote good manners. Most people here have been helpful to me, though I've been chewed on a little bit here and there. Just put on your teflon undies and you'll do fine. Remember, the experts here have been asked some of these questions hundreds of times-- imagine Special Ed saying "I've got mail" over and over again, if you get the reference.

If you really want to get your head handed to you, try posting something silly on XDA-dev. Those people are hardcore!

Actually I know MOST on here are friendly and helpful....

My point is if you don't want to answer it don't. The "experts" don't have to answer everytime. Someone else (like me who learns) will pass it on, and then that person may answer and so forth. Because they gripe, no one stays around to see what's new and help answer questions.

Search is good, but (and I may be messing up here) if you search for a term, it will bring up the whole post, if your answer is in the middle or end of the post that is a lot of reading. And half the long posts consist of posters who say "use search", so if you stop wasting time and space the posts would be EASIER to navigate.

Originally posted by dgikas
    Actually I know MOST on here are friendly and helpful....

My point is if you don't want to answer it don't. The "experts" don't have to answer everytime. Someone else (like me who learns) will pass it on, and then that person may answer and so forth. Because they gripe, no one stays around to see what's new and help answer questions.

Search is good, but (and I may be messing up here) if you search for a term, it will bring up the whole post, if your answer is in the middle or end of the post that is a lot of reading. And half the long posts consist of posters who say "use search", so if you stop wasting time and space the posts would be EASIER to navigate.
    I agree with you here, if your search term is found in a thread with 600 posts it isnt easy to find what your looking for. google helps a little, but it wont let you search just the 6600 section of a site, just the entire site.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...de&btnG=Search

google will point to the exact post, not just the thread

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Yes, it does sound like a really smart idea until you follow it through to its logical conclusion.

1. New guy/gal joins forum.
    2. Doesn't want to search or read faqs
    3. Starts new thread
    4. Subject line is nondescriptive
    5. Posts incomplete problem description, or insufficient to help identify what the real problem is.
    6. LOTS of people read the question. Each one of them is wasting his or her time WANTING to be helpful... or to learn from the thread... but instead can't.
    7. The experts don't respond (following your suggestion)
    8. Other non-experts chime in.
    9. More information is exchanged
    10. The user is frustrated
    11. The readers are frustrated
    12. The threads with useful info languish to the bottom of the screen.
    13. The forum fills up with people asking the SAME questions from yesterday or a week ago because they didn't read, search, or peruse the faq.

So you see, newbies who are too lazy to search ALWAYS say "You don't have to answer if you don't want to" but fortunately they don't make the rules.

It's like the parents who say "If you ignore the bullies they will stop picking on you." It's just stupid advice from people who have no clue.

Ehud

MOST People "peruse and read" before they ask a question. Heck my question even had a copy and paste from where I found what I needed (imagine having the instructions right there, hmmm)

And if it is so important to you "experts", take and merge the similar topics every week or so.

Instead after a while no one posts because they don't what to be "scolded" and you have a bunch of "experts" chatting back and forth about how awesome they are.

Actually I'm happy to inform anyone who cares that you don't have to accept the default "thread" view for searches. Just click the search button up top (linked for th lazy):
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/search.php

Then down near the bottom there are radio buttons for "Show results as threads" & "Show results as posts"--choose the latter and your search results will be much more useful.

Dan

Now see that was helpful info....thanks Dan

And even a link for us lazy SOB's...

Dan, you must not be an "expert", with being so helpful and all....

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    This site is not a Technical Manual, nor funtions as one. This site is not a knowledgebase, nor functions as one. It is a simple vbulletin site which supports many formats of 'smartphones'. For those who do not make Tech their careers nor blood-boiling passionate hobby, (I suspect that constitutes many if not most lurkers as well as members) but who utilize 'smartphones' to further their ability to communicate and/or organize, to be treated as if you are a clueless imbecile because the hamstrung Search feature only produced 50 pages of semi-related blathering is a giant waste of more than time to the searcher. Either check youe ego at the door to become a genuine knowledgebase, or continue to be a deluted shadow of what this site could be. Either pony-up with what it takes to be more than just another easily forgotten vbulletin site or just let it be what it is. If the latter is chosen, it will become another HoFo over time. I'd personally not like to see that occur, but then, it's not my choice. It's also not the choice of the mods, unless they are also involved with the mechanics and funding of this site. Shutting down discussion, disencouraging open dialogue will shut down this site faster than any other factor. Someone else with deeper pockets who is familiar with this site will finally decide that they've had it and will create a support site which is actually that. Nothing but support. But, claiming that this site is a knowledgebase is simply intellectually dishonest, regardless of the desires of its management.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Originally posted by dgikas
    And if it is so important to you "experts", take and merge the similar topics every week or so.

Instead after a while no one posts because they don't what to be "scolded" and you have a bunch of "experts" chatting back and forth about how awesome they are.
    Hmmm;

So you're saying that the same people who volunteer their time to answer questions should volunteer more time to perform administrative tasks for those who don't take the time to organize things efficiently? (never mind the howls when it becomes impossible to monitor a thread over time as threads are merged and re-merged into other threads every week or so)

I think the end result of this approach is a system where the experts decide it's not worth their time to post and everyone else spends their time trading misinformation politely.

The "experts" are already saying it is not worth their time to post. Every time they chastise someone for not searching for 4 hrs.

Someone is running this site for a reason, their are ads at the top and bottom of every page. More users means higher paying ads. So if that someone wants to make more money then they should manage the site.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Interesting point. I wonder what generates more clicks - insightful, reasoned discussions, or people tuning in to see who's going to get flamed next.

Personally, I never underestimate the public's appetite for spectacle. Maybe we should turn the non-bashing sticky into a bashing sticky and get Springer to moderate...

"Today on pdaphonehome: Transgender Verizon users who have replaced SBP Pocket Plus with PhoneAlarm and the women who say they still love them!"

We seriously need a wiki. I would suggest branching off from the xda-dev one for the Blue Angel (although it's a bit more specialized in scope) but that site is so damn slow at times. The administration here ought to consider hosting one. Sections can be created for each device and the users of the site can maintain it. Those FAQ and newbie threads at the top are a poor substitute because in order to be useful the original poster has to keep updating the first post all the time. The beauty of a wiki is that everyone can contribute and searching is easy because you don't have to wade through all of superfluous discussion that makes its way into threads.

I hope the admins will give serious consideration to the idea. A wiki and forum complement each other quite well. The forum is used to work on a problem and hammer out a definitive answer, which is then posted to the wiki (with a link to the related thread(s)). That answer is then revised or deprecated as appropriate.

Dan

Luv2Chill,
    Excellent Idea!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

In case anyone else did not know what wiki stood for (like me):

Wiki is in Ward's original description:
    The simplest online database that could possibly work.

Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser. Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for creating new pages and crosslinks between internal pages on the fly.

Wiki is unusual among group communication mechanisms in that it allows the organization of contributions to be edited in addition to the content itself.

Like many simple concepts, "open editing" has some profound and subtle effects on Wiki usage. Allowing everyday users to create and edit any page in a Web site is exciting in that it encourages democratic use of the Web and promotes content composition by nontechnical users.

Originally posted by luv2chill
    Actually I'm happy to inform anyone who cares that you don't have to accept the default "thread" view for searches. Just click the search button up top (linked for th lazy):
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/search.php?s=

Then down near the bottom there are radio buttons for "Show results as threads" & "Show results as posts"--choose the latter and your search results will be much more useful.

Dan
    Great idea! I did not even know you could should results as posts. I think the default should be changed to that. It is just too discouraging to find your search term as part of a 10 page thread and try to figure out where it occurs.

Originally posted by TechnoHippie
    Sorry you've had a bad experience here.
    Not everyone here is rude - just ignore the rude ones. What I've done if I don't get the answer I need (or rude response) - is simply ignore them, and then ask the question again.
    ITA. Most people here are helpful and fulfilled via Karma. A few others are helpful and full of themselves. If the latter get on your nerves, ignore them or tell them to f-off.

Use the search feature but if you can't find the answer by using a few search arguments, ask away.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

I beg to differ...this is the "most Helpful" forum I've ever visited. The flame wars are kept to a minimum and just about everybody is interested in helping out a posters questions.... sure there are those "times" when things get out of hand but overall this is a cool place! I think we forget at times how overwhelming the amount of information that is cooped up in the electrons in this site....
    just my dos centavos
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.