+ Reply to Thread
    Converged and Insane!

vBulletin Message...

Okay, something needs to be done about this:

The PDAPhoneHome server is experiencing an unusually large amount of traffic at this time, and is unable to accept additional visitors. Please wait a few minutes and try again. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Just my two cents here.

And your using the site for free. Sometimes there are problems with the server and/or vBulletin software. Some of these things are out of the control of Moderators and Administrators of the site.

This hasn't happened in quite a while so please take it easy on the site. If you would like to contribute towards the bill, then complain all you want, otherwise having the site down for a couple of hours a month isn't that big of a deal.

Converged and Insane!
    Originally posted by mrailing
    And your using the site for free. Sometimes there are problems with the server and/or vBulletin software. Some of these things are out of the control of Moderators and Administrators of the site.

This hasn't happened in quite a while so please take it easy on the site. If you would like to contribute towards the bill, then complain all you want, otherwise having the site down for a couple of hours a month isn't that big of a deal.
    Guess you told me off yet ONCE AGAIN railing. LOL I have not been able to log on for almost two days. This is an issue and in my humble opinion, needs to be addressed and looked into further. My opinion was being addressed to the administrator (Convergent) of this Website, not you. Additionally, this is an issue that can be researched by possibly finding a different server to host this site and/or increasing bandwidth. So, your comment about "nothing we can do" was inappropriate. There IS a solution. It's not only the members that are affected, but also the advertisers. When a site is down because of too many members accessing the site, I know I would be a little cranky if I was an advertiser. Additionally, this site is made up of MEMBERS and MODS. If you take one away from this equation, there would be NOTHING and/or TOTAL CHAOS!

Furthermore, the site will become larger and larger with more and more members. It's obvious that I don't pay to access the site. But I also don't pay to access many other sites on the internet, including Microsoft...which does not have this kind of a problem in forums. Ya, I know...they are much bigger...but, I have logged onto many other sites that are much smaller and don't have these issues.

Lastly, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to contribute towards the bill if that's what it takes to make the site more user FRIENDLY (no pun intended there good buddy, lol) and ACCESSIBLE. Just because I don't pay NOW, does that mean I can't make a suggestion or voice a concern? Where did I complain? Man, you look at the glass half empty too, don't you?!!! I come here a lot and would not have ONE problem with a premium forum access. If everyone paid let's say, $4.99 per month times 1000 members, that's a nice amount to CONTRIBUTE to Convergent each and every month. Use PayPal though, I just LOVE PayPal.

Man railing, you need to choose your words more wisely. They offend a lot of people, which I have witnessed with others in the past, including myself. I have ignored a lot of remarks you have made in the past that were directed towards me and others in an extremely condescending way, but THIS ONE will be answered in public, since that is the route you chose!!!

In conclusion, for the better part you do an "adequate" job here, though I personally would address your communication issues if I owned this site. So my hat is off to ya for the first part. For the latter part, you get two thumbs down. TONE it down dude. Some comments can be left unsaid. Maybe in the future we should just ignore eachother. It's obvious that you have a beef with me and can't get past stuff. I have tried over and over to be cordial and friendly with you. But you don't reciprocate and/or reply to my friendly gestures in the threads, but ONLY if you have something negative and/or condescending to say. So that makes me think that you still have a grudge from a while ago, don't you?!!! Or is it a power trip? Let me tell you this much, there is a big difference between "power" and "authority." Maybe you should research that and have a beer, smoke something, get you some, and chill out you cranky mod. LOL Life is too short to be cranky and mean. Or is it that time of the month again? LOL

But hey, that's just me putting my sense in again...but let me guess, your two cents are worth more than my sense, right?
    Last edited by GLP403b; 10-30-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    OK guys... have a beer or something.

The fact that the site is free isn't any excuse for it not being available. I completely agree with you on that, Rof. Unfortunately, things aren't always as simple to fix as they may seem. We are on a sizable dual Xenon server, hosted at a premium host, with all the good bandwidth we need. When the server starts misbehaving, it is not an issue of "bigger server" to solve the problem. I don't have a problem spending money to fix a problem, but only when I know where to spend it. In the last couple of days, something has been spiking the server and we haven't determined what it is. It is NOT normal traffic doing it, so it could be a DOS attack, or it could be some hacker activity.

We don't have the resources of Microsoft to throw at it, but even they have had attacks that took their sites down from time to time. We do have a 24x7 staff that keeps an eye on things, but finding this kind of stuff can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I appreciate your patience, and understand that I am never happy with any downtime.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Converged and Insane!
    Originally posted by Convergent
    OK guys... have a beer or something.

The fact that the site is free isn't any excuse for it not being available. I completely agree with you on that, Rof. Unfortunately, things aren't always as simple to fix as they may seem. We are on a sizable dual Xenon server, hosted at a premium host, with all the good bandwidth we need. When the server starts misbehaving, it is not an issue of "bigger server" to solve the problem. I don't have a problem spending money to fix a problem, but only when I know where to spend it. In the last couple of days, something has been spiking the server and we haven't determined what it is. It is NOT normal traffic doing it, so it could be a DOS attack, or it could be some hacker activity.

We don't have the resources of Microsoft to throw at it, but even they have had attacks that took their sites down from time to time. We do have a 24x7 staff that keeps an eye on things, but finding this kind of stuff can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I appreciate your patience, and understand that I am never happy with any downtime.
    No problem Convergent. I already had my beer and then some. I'm always open for more too. Hopefully you can narrow in on the problem and resolve it once and for all. On another note, good job with the site. Glad to have something like this to access, so keep up the good work.
    Last edited by GLP403b; 10-31-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Doc, sometimes the servers do things that defy "gravity" !!!!!!!!!!!!!bear with us and hope it will be fixed soon............Convergent is doing the best he can to get this resolved. Do appreciate the concern as I do experience this problem sometimes, yes it is frustrating cause this is MY ONLY dose of legal drugs I am allowed!!!!!!!. As Convergent said, it is being looked at as I type and I am a day late and dollar short as usual in the reply About the beer? are you over 21? cause we donot want to promote the "beer drinking" excuse for not able to surf!!!!!J/K
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Yeh, we don't want you getting an SWI... that's Surfing While Intoxicated for the layman.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Converged and Insane!

Talking LOL

Originally posted by equus
    About the beer? are you over 21? cause we donot want to promote the "beer drinking" excuse for not able to surf!!!!!J/K
    Yeh, we don't want you getting an SWI... that's Surfing While Intoxicated for the layman.
    lol, now what do you think? I'm holding strong at the age of 29. Eh, being honest here...I just turned 37 last month.

beer? Beer?!? did somebody say BEER! I have my bots programed to alert me when ever there is a thread about beer....,
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Spring chickens.... I'm 44.

With regard to the original topic... I think we finally cracked a 3 month mystery on why the server was overloading from time to time. It was malicious... and we've removed the method they were using. Hopefully they'll get bored and go somewhere else to create problems.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Converged and Insane!
    Spring chickens.... I'm 44.

With regard to the original topic... I think we finally cracked a 3 month mystery on why the server was overloading from time to time. It was malicious... and we've removed the method they were using. Hopefully they'll get bored and go somewhere else to create problems.
    That's good to hear, but it just happened again a few times to me. Date and time was 11-1-05 @ 2:40 PM (EST).

Maybe you can track that time Mike?

Converged and Insane!
    Originally posted by MGuzzy
    beer? Beer?!? did somebody say BEER! I have my bots programed to alert me when ever there is a thread about beer....,
    Man, with all those bots dude...maybe you're the culprit for the overloading of the server. Ever though about checking into AA? (JK-lol)

Yeh, I jinxed myself. We are still on the trail.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Converged and Insane!
    Haven't received any of those vBulletin error messages in a week. Is something wrong? lol

Converged and Insane!
    11-10-2005 @ 1:01 PM (EST)

Received another vBulletin error message.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by DoctorPDR
    11-10-2005 @ 1:01 PM (EST)

Received another vBulletin error message.
    Same here at 12:00 PM (CST).
    Michael

What message are we talking about... I think this thread was referring to the db errors... and they usually don't fix themselves. Things seem good now.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Converged and Insane!
    What message are we talking about... I think this thread was referring to the db errors... and they usually don't fix themselves. Things seem good now.
    Mike, as my first post stated:

The PDAPhoneHome server is experiencing an unusually large amount of traffic at this time, and is unable to accept additional visitors. Please wait a few minutes and try again. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I am posting the date and time I'm receiving this error from now on, in hopes to assist you in finding the problem.

OK... that was probably a DOS attack then. That message is the flood control kicking in to prevent the server from tanking when we are receiving unusual traffic.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Converged and Insane!
    OK... that was probably a DOS attack then. That message is the flood control kicking in to prevent the server from tanking when we are receiving unusual traffic.
    Want me to keep posting dates and times Mike when it happpens?