+ Reply to Thread

My $.02 about moderating,organizing, and FAQs.

Hi people ! Iíve been on this site quite a while, but fairly new to this particular forum. I found this site when I first bought my Samsung i700 with Verizon, and it was very helpful about learning about it and configuring it !!

My i700 is getting to be middle-aged in techno-years, so itís time to upgrade. I was deciding what to get and thought the i730 would be the obvious selection, so I spent a lot of time on the i730 forum to learn and get up to speed for my own future i730 upgrade.
    I REALLLYYYY wanted to have a camera version, so when the rumors of an i730 camera version didnít seem to be coming to fruition, I began looking at other options. I found info about the 6700, started looking at it as an option, and poking around on this forum.

Seeing that Verizon is releasing the 6700, I chose to upgrade to this phone and just ordered for it to be sent as soon as itís released to personal accounts.

Ok, all this is to say that since I PERSONALLY will be spending a LOT more time on this forum, and probably a whole new wave of people that have been waiting for the Verizon release, I thought I would add my $.02. I saw this thread about moderating
    Let's try an experiment here... and it got
    me thinking, but it was closed to new posters, but I just wanted to add my thoughts as a new user, and maybe as a voice of other new Verizon users.

First of all, let me say that this is not trying to put down Marty and the other moderators. I know this is NOT your full-time job ! You guys have limited time, like we all do, and Iím sure you have better things to do rather than hang around this forum 24/7. With that said, I would like to add that it feels like it is taking me a lot longer to get up to speed with the info on the 6700, than it did with my i700. I think that has more to do with organization rather than with moderating. I mean, I think for the most part, people are ok with moderating themselves, and even without that, I see that there are some veterans on here that help moderate within the post. Now, I am not a total newbie to PDA phones in general, since I had the i700, but I AM new to the 6700, and some of the newer technology that comes along with it. When I was considering the i730 and poking around that forum, there was a HIGHLY organized FAQ sticky by Mrailing that was EXTREMELY helpful for me in learning, even though I didnít even have the i730 !!! Hereís the link Let's try an experiment here... Now, I realize that everyone that moderates has their own particular style and time constraints. Iím just throwing out suggestions to make this post better for everyone in the future. Better for the Verizon newbies just coming on board, and better for the veterans that are tired of seeing/answering the same questions. I think the vets on here need to be a little more patient with the newbies. I read some posts on here with questions and people just write ď do a searchĒ or whatever. Would it take that much more typing energy to say do a search on this or that, or to write a quick answer or something to get people started? Arenít we really here to try to help each other ??? I become leery of asking a question in case I missed the answer in a search and just get a whole lotta crap about my question instead of a real answer. I mean, Iíve done searches on here, and itís sometimes difficult to surmise the answer or point of the post. I think some of that has to do with me as a newbie still getting up to speed with all the terms and such. I mean , donít assume that people KNOW what youíre talking about when you use certain terms and initials. I think the moderating can be kept at a minimum in a thread where people are hashing out their ideas and experiences, but then it would be nice if a moderator could sift through info and just post the important stuff on a FAQ sticky. Take
    mini sd cards as an example. There were a few different posts about these and talking about which ones work, where to get them and how much money, what sizes, speeds, etc. Well, all that could be organized under one heading, right? Now, a good FAQ would obviously have to be updated as well, since Iím sure new information would come out. Itís not like Iím saying this is what I want, now do it !!!! I would even be willing to help organize it, since I will also be spending a bit of time on this board, especially when my 6700 first comes. I wouldnít be much help as far as the info itself, but I could help as far as ideas and organizing it. Again, I think that i730 FAQ sticky is a FINE model !!! It is very well organized !! As a newbie, it is helpful to know what you donít even know !!!!

Ok, so to sum upÖÖ
    1) I appreciate you moderators that donate your time on here !!!!!
    2) It would be SOOO nice to have a ďFAQ For DummiesĒ sticky that it written in such away that it assumes the reader doesnít know much of anything at all.

Alllllrightyyyy thennnn, Iím looking forward to getting my 6700 in a couple of weeks WOOOOO HOOOOOO !!!!!!

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    How sad that you didnít get a reply from the mods.

Welcome to the forum.

I think they should take you up on your volunteering and enthusiasm.

Mark

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Mark and Sam... WE HERE YOU!!!

As Joe Pecci said in My Cousin Vinny, "I think I get the point... " I know, I know, the judge then through him in jail because he didn't get the point... but I do here... believe me.

This site started as an FAQ site for newbies. We've fallen out of that because of the sheer volume of people coming to the forum and that has really consumed things. We have a lot of plans and ideas for making things better, but they all take time and effort... and patience from you guys. We are spending so much mental energy on this stuff about people being ticked that they don't like what forum their thread got moved to, that there is little time for the other stuff. Cut these guys some slack and try to help them out.

Hopefully in the next couple of days, you will come here and see a shocking transformation of the site... new skin, and updated forum software. That will give us the foundation to add more new capabilities to help everyone get what they want... FAQ information being a big part of it. We are testing a Wiki, we are looking at a new Content Management System, and I am working with custom coders. It can't happen overnight, but you will hopefully see an overnight change within the next week that will give you hope that good things will eventually come.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Sounds cool !! I'm looking forward to it !!

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I am looking forward too I guess.

The thing is, compared to other boards, this is a quality one. It's becuse of the members and the content they provide. What took place in the last few days shuld not have happened.

I would hope that the mods involved will be advised. There where many members that got pissed off and these are the members that are adding quality content to this forum.

Thanks for listening.

Mark

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Mark, they are listening... we have had a lot of discussions behind the scenes, and they have been trying different techniques to find the right balance.

Thanks for the positive comments about the site.
    Mike - Been Converged?