Closed Thread
    DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar

Please move the slingbox thread back to the i730 forum

I started that thread in the i730 forum, because I wanted to discuss slingbox use with i730 users, period. The only real responses of substance were from i730 users. I (and probably others) don't want to start to have to search other forums to find about the experience i730 users are having with products that can be applied to other phones, (or pda's) for that matter.

Geez, according to this policy, next you will be moving all gps, headset, third party styli, generic car mounts, etc to the "general" forum. The whole point of posting about them here is so that i730 users can compare experiences about using them with the i730

I always thought that the "modding" at pdaPhone home was diligent, and resonable. But, since last summer its gone over the edge. Please move this thread back to the i730 forum.
    The only constant is change.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    JIm,

I have also tried to post my thougths on this but my posts were deleted or locked.

I love this forum also but I want to understand the reason when threads get moved.

This is the link to the slingbox thread:
    Slingbox set to go mobile with home TV
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 01-19-2006 at 06:40 PM.

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    I'll throw my two cents in here too. When the SlingBox thread was moved, I ran a search for slingbox and found 20 threads. Of those that did more than just mention slingbox in passing, the majority ended up as flame wars with very little sustantual information.

I'm not sure if we i730 owners are just a little higher class of bleeding edgers or its just that we have superior moderators, but one of the reasons I stuck around this forum was that most people here seemed to be genuinely interested in getting the most out of their devices, and helping others to do that also.

Now I find one of the threads that I'm subscribed to bobbing around in a sea of fire. Please bring it back.
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

yes, i also agree that the sling box thread should be moved back here. im on this site several times a day and if it had not been posted here originally i never would have known what the heck it was. i am so addicted to this i730 forum and am also very anxious to here whatever news anyone has related to this device.
    i feel very humbled by all the wisdom i have gained here.
    please bring the sling box thread back.
    i700>i730>vx6700>tmobilemda>iphone>tilt

Administrator
    please post any forum issues/concerns here in the site feedback section.

the slingbox thread was moved to general discussion because its a general device that applies to more than the i730. thats what the general discussion forum is for, so others who may not know about a phone neutral device or software can go there and see it.

subscribing to the thread will keep you up to date on the latest posting and it allows others to see the information who may not yet have a ppc phone or smart device.

To be quit honest, I don't see the point of moving post around the forums, What is the big deal of talking about the same subject on different forums? for instance, we are talking about Slingbox here, and obvious, this is pretty exclusive to broadband phone, so what is the point of moving out to the other forums where there is no relation to broadband phones?? besides if people in i730 wants to talk about slingbox and 700w users wants to talk about slingbox, I am sure other user or even mod can make a reference some where in the post to reference about the 700w was talking about the same subject see reference here, or i730 users is talking about the same if not similar and here is the reference. However by moving around threads like these does NOT help any one at all.. Boy, I begain to hate boards like these..Where the MODS are just abusing their powers!!

My Two Cents! and By all means, if any mod don't like this message, please deleted like there is no FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    There is certainly freedom of speech. Just because moderators try to streamline things doesn't mean you can't talk. My guess is that if your message was deleted, there must have been a reason. I just read through the thread we are talking about and I didn't really see where it had anything at all to do with an i730. If the thread was about how to use the Slingbox with an i730, or user experiences with those two devices, I think I'd be with you in that it shouldn't be moved. In this case, it really is a general item. As for the issue of "broadband devices", ummm.... everything on this site for the most part has to do with them... pdaPhones remember? This issue of moving threads comes up a lot. Guys... lighten up here. We are just trying to keep some assemblance of order on a very busy forum. Everyone isn't going to always agree with what is done. The fact is that there are different discussion forums for a reason. I know that some people like to only ever watch one forum, but that isn't the way the site is organized. Life is too short to get your shorts in a knot over which forum a thread is in.

I don't mean to be flip about this, but work with us here... try to use some of the other forums here when they apply so that we don't end up with separate little groups of people that don't want to associate with each other. Where's the love???
    Mike - Been Converged?

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    If the thread was about how to use the Slingbox with an i730, or user experiences with those two devices, I think I'd be with you in that it shouldn't be moved.
    OK, I just did another search for "slingbox" and found some interesting results. 12 entries were in the PPC-6700 / XV6700 forum, two in PPC-6600 / PPC-6601 / XV6600, one in HP h6300 / h6315 / h6340 Pocket PC Phone, one in Treo 650, three in Samsung i730, one (the one that got moved) in pdaPhone Discussion, and one in this forum.

Does anyone see any inconsistancy here?
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Convergent, I agree with you to interact with others. but we really have no business at other groups if we don't own their devices, that's why you created a different fourm for different devices right. Sorry if I sounded pissed, because I was, from day one since I joined the board i730 seems to be the strightest forum in the pdaphonehome. Like wodin said, if you want to be fair, please play fair and move all of the other post to where they belong, then I won't complain a bit, but if you are just moving the i730 forum because some mod (I don't want to call names) monitor that forum more frequently and also strighter then please forgive us by calling NOT FAIR!

P.S. Don't give me wrong, I love this board and most if not all users and mods are friendly here, but it really tick us off if the mods don't play fair and not tell us the reason why our post got deleted or moved. Also one suggestion, If you want to delete someone's post, instead of just delete it, please just edit that post and say **** Deleted **** and give a reason, that way we know the reason why it get deleted, instead of finding out by our self that the post got deleted and for no reason.
    Last edited by Pekkle; 01-20-2006 at 03:25 AM.

Originally posted by wodin
    OK, I just did another search for "slingbox" and found some interesting results. 12 entries were in the PPC-6700 / XV6700 forum, two in PPC-6600 / PPC-6601 / XV6600, one in HP h6300 / h6315 / h6340 Pocket PC Phone, one in Treo 650, three in Samsung i730, one (the one that got moved) in pdaPhone Discussion, and one in this forum.

Does anyone see any inconsistancy here?
    Wodin, you've just identified the rough distribution of activity on the site. The busiest forums here are the ones that had more posts in your results.... so that isn't surprising.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    This is BS!

What is the differnce about talking about Phone Alarm or GPS usints and the Slingbox?

Its the same thing.

Stop moving our threads and put this back.

Next time you move a thread at least tell us why.

If I were a MOD I would take the time to explain this.

If you need help , make me a MOD.

Originally posted by Pekkle
    Convergent, I agree with you to interact with others. but we really have no business at other groups if we don't own their devices, that's why you created a different fourm for different devices right. Sorry if I sounded pissed, because I was, from day one since I joined the board i730 seems to be the strightest forum in the pdaphonehome. Like wodin said, if you want to be fair, please play fair and move all of the other post to where they belong, then I won't complain a bit, but if you are just moving the i730 forum because some mod (I don't want to call names) monitor that forum more frequently and also strighter then please forgive us by calling NOT FAIR!

P.S. Don't give me wrong, I love this board and most if not all users and mods are friendly here, but it really tick us off if the mods don't play fair and not tell us the reason why our post got deleted or moved. Also one suggestion, If you want to delete someone's post, instead of just delete it, please just edit that post and say **** Deleted **** and give a reason, that way we know the reason why it get deleted, instead of finding out by our self that the post got deleted and for no reason.
    Pekkle, when I said that the part about the other forums, I was meaning the forums that span multiple devices. There are other forums here that may have relevence than just the one for the device you own. And precisely for that reason, if you were having a talk about Slingbox, then it would pretty much be something that anyone on any device could participate in. By placing that discussion in a device specific forum, well... you've excluded those people with other devices who like you, "really have no business at other groups if they don't own their devices". So there is value in venturing out of the device specific groups sometime.

I will try to think of a more user friendly approach for us to use when something is snipped from the forum. I guess I can understand the frustration you'd have is something just disappeared on you. But also, please don't take forum moderation personally. It is not intended to be personal. There is an attempt being made to make it easier to find information... and I guess we are failing in some people's eyes in fulfilling that wish. The moderators have different styles and are not all going to do it exactly the same way. They are volunteers and spend a lot of time here... so I really think we need to be greatful for all the work they do. I have been to many forums that are a wreck and have a lot of meaningless hot air being batted about. We will keep working to improve our game and hopefully strike the ideal balance.

With that said, much of my own envergy is in trying to bring you a new and better PPH forum ... very soon. I believe there will be additional moderation tools to help with this.
    Mike - Been Converged?

DroidX>Omnia>i760/30>00>ipaq+nokia JimCapraro's Avatar
    Originally posted by Convergent
    Wodin, you've just identified the rough distribution of activity on the site. The busiest forums here are the ones that had more posts in your results.... so that isn't surprising.
    Mike,
    I think you missed wodin's point -- which was that there are several slingbox threads in several device specific forums -- which were not moved to the "general" forum. Thread movement seems rather arbitrary. The slingbox thread in the i730 forum was just starting to get substantive in that a couple of i730 users just purchased the slingbox in anticipation of the ppc software... I for one was waiting, in anticipation, to see what their experience was. Now that it is in the general forum, either no one with the i730 will come here to weigh in, or the thread will be diluted with content about slingbox connection on non i730 devices -- something that won't happen in the ppc6600 slingbox threads that wodin identified.

I love this board, and am very appreciative of your efforts and that of the mods on our behalf. But, please stop trying to make it so neat and pristine that it becomes less useful to those who use it.
    The only constant is change.

Originally posted by Mark_A_K
    This is BS!

What is the differnce about talking about Phone Alarm or GPS usints and the Slingbox?

Its the same thing.

Stop moving our threads and put this back.

Next time you move a thread at least tell us why.

If I were a MOD I would take the time to explain this.

If you need help , make me a MOD.
    I'm sure your tender approach will win over many of our members. I just SAID in the next thread that we would try to think of a more user friendly ways to do this.

You've obviously been here for a while and know that in general we try to keep the site informative and not a free for all. You are not always going to agree with every moderator's decision. They are not perfect... I am not perfect... you are not perfect. We all have different ideas and different views. In spite of what you may think about yourself, everyone in the i730 forum doesn't agree with your view either. I get the PMs and emails with the complaints in both directions. We will try to listen when someone thinks we've made a wrong call. In the case of the Slingbox thread, it has nothing to do with the i730. The i730 forum is for discussion about i730 related topics. I read the thread. If you want to talk about Slingbox, then talk about it where the thread was moved. If you want to talk about hooking a Slingbox to the i730, then I think that would be relevant to the i730 forum. If you want to have an exclusive conversation about some non-i730 topic, just with the i730 users, we don't have a forum for that.

I don' t know what other threads you are talking about that you think should be moved if this one was moved... if you want to provide urls, I'll be happy to look at them and decide if they should be moved or not. As the other team members have said... this is not personal. Its a big forum with a lot of traffic. We all do the best we can, and we are not going to be perfectly uniform in our approach.... we are human.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by Mark_A_K
    JIm,

I have also tried to post my thougths on this but my posts were deleted or locked.

I love this forum also but I want to understand the reason when threads get moved.

This is the link to the slingbox thread:
    Slingbox set to go mobile with home TV
    We are working on how to do this better. If you've got ideas, please PM them to me.

Originally posted by JimCapraro
    Mike,
    I think you missed wodin's point -- which was that there are several slingbox threads in several device specific forums -- which were not moved to the "general" forum. Thread movement seems rather arbitrary. The slingbox thread in the i730 forum was just starting to get substantive in that a couple of i730 users just purchased the slingbox in anticipation of the ppc software... I for one was waiting, in anticipation, to see what their experience was. Now that it is in the general forum, either no one with the i730 will come here to weigh in, or the thread will be diluted with content about slingbox connection on non i730 devices -- something that won't happen in the ppc6600 slingbox threads that wodin identified.

I love this board, and am very appreciative of your efforts and that of the mods on our behalf. But, please stop trying to make it so neat and pristine that it becomes less useful to those who use it.
    Jim, thanks for being diplomatic. We are trying to find the right balance. This thread, which I did read... had no discussion in it about the i730. Read my last reply and see if it has any valid thoughts at all. No one is going to the other forums because everyone is thinking the way that is being portrayed in this thread... this is precisely the problem we are trying to improve. Everyone wants to only talk with their fellow device owners about anything. If people would try to use the other forums for their intended purpose, then they would get more traffic and get more comments. Are the comments of other PPC device owners relevent? I can almost guaranteee that they won't see it in the i730 forum.

If you guys want to talk about how the Slingbox relates to the i730, then go for it.... but make it clear that is what the thread is about.

I am going to close this thread out with hopefully a positive note. We ARE listening to all of you guys.... even the ones that get testy with us. Your opinion does mean something and we are trying. There are discussion threads going on in the moderator forum about how to do this better. Just try to bear with us. We'll try to listen and move a thread back if we made a bad call. My opinion is that the Slingbox thread was moved for the right reason.

OK, I am going to close this thread now because I think we've beat this to death. Please PM me if you have more that you must say about it.
    Mike - Been Converged?