+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Thumbs up New Feature - Forum Exclusion from New Posts

I know a lot of people have asked for this over the years, and thanks to member JDSX for pointing out where to find the hack to do it, you can now selectively exclude any number of forums from the "New Posts" search. Go to Edit Options in your Profile, scroll to the bottom of the list, and then select away. Hold the Cntl key as you select so that you can pick more than one. I don't think picking a parent necessarily excludes the children, so make sure to pick all you want to exclude.

I know some of you like to "live" in one forum. I would caution you not to get carried away with this or you may end up missing updates around the site. If you are not interested in Palm and Smartphone, fine... but please don't exclude the general forums that go with your device... the OS, news, FAQs, and also please don't exclude things like Site Problems, and some of the general forums that might apply. We have the ability to exclude some forums from exclusion, and eventually I'll implement that on a number of the non-device specific forums. Those forums aren't that busy, so it shouldn't clog you up to bad to have them in your daily updates.

I only tested this briefly, so if it causes problems we may have to remove it. Enjoy, and use it "wisely".
    Mike - Been Converged?

Very cool. Thanks for adding this!

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I've also changed the way that the site remembers what you've read. It will now not mark threads read until you actually read them, or a period of time passes buy.... several days, or you go up to the Misc Links menu and select the option for Mark Forums Read. The way it used to work was the new threads stop being new about a half hour after you came to the site, even if you didn't read them.
    Mike - Been Converged?