+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

What is the ideal screen size for the PDA skin?

I need to get the designer some info on the size to make the skin for PDAs. Everyone has different size screens, but we need a minimum base. Assume that it will scale down and to the right... but we need the compressed size minimum. What do you think is the best size? I'm thinking 240x240 should be the base. Anyone agree or disagree? I need feedback on this quickly.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent
    I need to get the designer some info on the size to make the skin for PDAs. Everyone has different size screens, but we need a minimum base. Assume that it will scale down and to the right... but we need the compressed size minimum. What do you think is the best size? I'm thinking 240x240 should be the base. Anyone agree or disagree? I need feedback on this quickly.
    Agree with you on the base size to be 240x240. Seems that is what some of the LCD panel mfrs. are looking to mass produce and also I have heard some software developers are cranking up to desigh software to handle that screen size.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Now who do we hose up at that size? Smartphone OS is smaller, but that is going to be very tough to fit into anyways... so I'm thinking we cover Palm and larger. I think the P800 and P900 are at least 240 wide too, right? My memory is fading and I got rid of the device pages for now...
    Mike - Been Converged?

I think 240x240 would be a good place to start. That seems to be the "least common denominator" short of a WAP version.
    John

I think 240x240 is what we are going to do. It should even be usable on something a little smaller... I seem to remember a 200 width out there on something.
    Mike - Been Converged?

pda usage on the site

Convergent
    Have you guys figured out a way to maybe give two email "links" when you are following an email alert link that someone has posted to a thread you are following -- maybe one link for the regular version and one link for the pda version ??

Or have you figured out some other way?

Thanks for all you have done.

Not sure I follow why you'd want that. The skins are held in the cookie for the site, which is stored on your individual devices. If you go to the PDA session on your PDA, then it will stay in that state as long as you don't clear the cookie. If you followed and email link to a post on your PDA, it would go to the PDA version. If you followed the same link to a post on your PC, you'd get the full version. Having two links would just be overly confusing I think, and end up with people on that version on their PC I think.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent
    I think 240x240 is what we are going to do. It should even be usable on something a little smaller... I seem to remember a 200 width out there on something.
    Of course I stick my nose in on this dicussion too late. Being a die hard 7135 user (I know Old technolgy) I would recommend 160x160. The Treo 600's are also the same resolution. Just curious how 200x200 would like on a 160x160 screen.
    mg
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Hi,

You should use JS (or other tech) to autodetect the screen size and format dynamically. Also, you should keep in mind the way the mobile browsers work with respect to designing your navigation system. I strongly recommend a single column for all content, with all nav at very top or very bottom.

Let me know if you need any help on this stuff, it's a great site and I'd be happy to donate some HTML/JS/PHP/ASP code if you need it.

Best,
    Jeremy
    Last edited by jtoeman; 02-04-2006 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
    2 Slingboxes + Comcast DVR + 1 PPC6700 + 1 700W == Lots of my TV, anytime, anywhere.

240x240 screen would be great especially for us Treo & 6500 users. Also the basic 320x240 would be good too. Covers the new device and existing crowds well.
    My PDA & SmartPhone History: Palm Vx; M505;TungstenT; NX60; iPaq 1910; I700; Treo 600; hx4700; MPx220; hw6515, Treo 700w, XV6700,, Treo 700p, Moto Q Black, Moto Q9h, BlackBerry 8310 & BlackBerry 8820, BlackBerry Bold, BlackBerry Storm 9530; Droid Incredible; iPhone4; Samsung Captivate; Samsung Fascinate; Droid X, Droid2 Global, Droid X; Droid Incredible. Funny how the familiar is where you end up in the end.