+ Reply to Thread

Can we separate the VZW and Sprint Forums?

Is it me but I sometimes find it confusing, that although the devices are very similar (physically), there are differences in some software implementations (like the WiFi/CDMA radios) and this forum is doing a poor job of keeping the topics separated OR clearly identified?

When it was only Sprint, it was fine, now it's VZW, then it will be HTC Apaches, then etc...hopefully we can develop thread standard titles like:

VZW XV6700: How can I keep wifi and phone on at the same time?
    Sprint PPC6700: What are the rules for USB Tethering on Sprint Network?
    ALL: What programs work on this thing?

Just a suggestion...
    Current: 8125 and 2125 Cingular and Nokia N70 for the weekend
    Returned: XV6700 - VZW, Treo 700w - VZW

It's kind of ironic that your fellow Verizonians were clamoring to get the title of this forum changed even before the XV6700 was released. If it were to be separated by carrier now, that would make it even more ironic.

Besides, if the 2125 is your "keeper" I doubt that forum will be crowded with multiple carrier options.

ramjet73
    Last edited by ramjet73; 01-27-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Just because Verizon gimped your phone doesn't mean we need to seperate the forums. If anything, it's probably better for the Verizon users that they're together so they can see what their phone should be able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze1
    Is it me but I sometimes find it confusing, that although the devices are very similar (physically), there are differences in some software implementations (like the WiFi/CDMA radios) and this forum is doing a poor job of keeping the topics separated OR clearly identified?

When it was only Sprint, it was fine, now it's VZW, then it will be HTC Apaches, then etc...hopefully we can develop thread standard titles like:

VZW XV6700: How can I keep wifi and phone on at the same time?
    Sprint PPC6700: What are the rules for USB Tethering on Sprint Network?
    ALL: What programs work on this thing?

Just a suggestion...
    Sorry but we are not going to split the forum into two (this has been discussed before). Fact of the matter is, the two devices share far more in common than they do differences and splitting the forum would only result in a ton of redundant information and members from each camp not being able to take advantage of the hacks discovered by users of the other carrier.

Now do me a favor and take a step back and gloss over all the thread titles. I think you will clearly notice that each thread is clearly titled to reflect the question the original poster is seeking to have answered. I cannot help it if the focus of the thread changes later or someone posts a new interesting piece of info within the thread that people start discussing.

If you look at the thread titles, you will notice that for any issue that is specific to the carrier, I have edited the title to reflect that. For instance, I have clearly titled the wifi and phone together Verizon thread to clearly indicate that this is for Verizon (besides, everyone knows that the Sprint model does not have this limitation so any thread on this subject by default refers to Verizon). Please show me a thread or two where you have a carrier specific issue and the title does not clearly reflect that. I edit probably 50% of the thread titles per day in part to specifically avoid this issue.

I realize you are also just using these as example title formats that you would like to see and I actually think that might not be a bad idea but at the same time, no way will we even get close to 25% compliance on this as there are just too many people. To further complicate matters, since we have so many people that are new to pdaphones in general that use this 6700 forum, if we did use your format, I can easily see a large number of people incorrectly titling their thread as specific to one of the carriers when it would be a general question and then I have to go in and change it.

I don't think it is a good idea to split the forum just because there are a few issues (that I can likely count on one or two hands) that are specific to one carrier or the other. Look at the thread titles on any given page and make a list of how many are specific to the carrier and how many are common to both devices. I think the answer will be obvious why we aren't going to split this forum.
    Last edited by Marty; 01-27-2006 at 04:35 AM.

I agree... the phones are WAYYY too much alike to actually split the forums into two. I've even noticed myself that threads that are specific to one carrier or the other are generally clearly marked either with Sprint in the title or even by identifying the phone as PPC or XV (not VX, btw!).

I second (or third?) that. XV6700 is so new that much of the software compatibility and reg-edit hacks i've learned on the forum were posted by PPC-6700 users over the last 3 months. I still have to test them out on my device anyway to see if/how they work, but it beats having to search two or three parallel and largely redundant forums.
    - jl
    V710/HS850 & Jornada 720 >> XV6700/Plantronics Voyager 510

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    Please show me a thread or two where you have a carrier specific issue and the title does not clearly reflect that. I edit probably 50% of the thread titles per day in part to specifically avoid this issue.
    Now, I could be mistaken, because I have overlooked the codes, but the thread Slow Ringer response appears to be only Sprint specific. There isn't any codes for Verizon displayed throught the whole thread to change the SCI for the XV6700.
    Sprint Slow Ringtone / Ringer Response Thread (force 1x/EVDO?? slot cycle index)

Please correct me if I am wrong, and I would much rather than be wrong than right in this instance.

Thanks
    VZW XV6700

I'm interested in finding out how the phone differ. I can't any posts on that. Can anyone tell me the differences (hardware, software, network, etc.)?

Thanks,

~Cyndy~

Yeah, I don't think we should SPLIT the forum, but I think it would be helpful for everyone if we specify PPC6700 or XV6700. I know that I've found some things on my new Verizon phone to be different than the Sprints, but much is the same. I try to specify XV6700 in the subject line when I post. I just think it may help me get an answer sooner, and also be helpful to others, and also try to do my part to keep the forum organized. Cannnnnnnn youuuuuuuu diggggg itttttttttttttttttttt !?!?!? < Cyrus -"The Warriors"

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    We are leaving them together... not enough different to separate them. Shoot, I've got people that want the CDMA and GSM devices in the same forum. I think people work this out in their dialog. You can pretty quickly tell if its a verizon or sprint issue. One thing I was thinking about doing was trying to add a spot in the forum to put your carrier and primary device... and maybe have it show up under your avatar or something.
    Mike - Been Converged?

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 471366" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2>
    One thing I was thinking about doing was trying to add a spot in the forum to put your carrier and primary device... and maybe have it show up under your avatar or something.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I really like that idea. The multiple carrier issue not so big with the I730 but with the GSM I830 it would be pretty handy information to see.
    -Jonas

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Administrator
    maybe folks should insert brackets in their posts when starting new threads, that may help a bit no?

for example, they could say "ppc 6601 hangs [verizon]". this would of course require the members to take the couple of seconds to add this in their posts but its just a thought...

Never mind...

Thanks for hearing me out on the forum suggestion....but I just returned my XV6700 based on my first 48 hours of experience.

I'm sure they can be fixed with hacks but:
    - MS Exchange AUTD turns on the phone/screen (my i730 didn't) - maybe its a WM5 issue? But my WM5 Cingular 2125 doesn't do it ... hm.?
    - After the Glyph hacks, the keyboard slide out and rotate still has a bit of a delay - not as "instant" as I want it.
    - The keyboard, although bigger, is too wide when "two thumbing"...I find myself "reaching" for keys (I'm 5'11 250LBS, so I'm a big guy with big hands and thumbs) - one handed was tough - easy to fall out of the hands.
    - Mini SD
    - Mini SD again
    - slider feels "flimsy" - people that tried out the device ask me if the slider was broken because when it didn't "click" into place, the alignment was off (both on open and close).
    - Keyboard characthers (the alt/fn symbols) are hard to see at night (primary characters are fine)
    - Radio is not as good as the Cingular and Samsung (i730) phones - I don't get good service in my areas of primary use (bedroom, bathroom, home office, office office, etc.) Keep in mind my i730 Samsung was just fine.

That's the core of it...

He're what I'll miss:
    - Fantastic camera/flash/video
    - Camera App is great
    - Aesthetic design is very industrial and "smart looking"
    - WM 5 in a PPC format
    - Fast EVDO (including USB Tethering)

Here's what I didn't get a chance to check out...
    - Battery life

Either way, it went back. I'm also dumping a bunch of stuff on ebay (Treo 600 (gsm unbranded unlocked), Treo 650 (gsm unbranded unlocked), Samsung i730 (VZW).

Sorry if this was in the wrong forum...I may cross post - Admin, please move if necessary.
    Current: 8125 and 2125 Cingular and Nokia N70 for the weekend
    Returned: XV6700 - VZW, Treo 700w - VZW