+ Reply to Thread

Is it just me, or has this site become the most ad-laden forum?

Is it just me, or has this site become the most ad-laden forum after the redesign?

Mike

These ads were always there.lol, a lot of them used to scroll on top or everytime you refreshed a page or came back to it it would be a different ad. Now it has been added to a side of the screen.........
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson
    Is it just me, or has this site become the most ad-laden forum after the redesign?

Mike
    I just shrink the sides of the web page so the add are hidden.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson
    Isn't that a little extreme? I know we have ads on here, but I have certainly been to a LOT worse sites for ads. We have always had a banner at the top and bottom, and Adwords below the navigation. Based on the number of people that click on them, at least some portion of the users are finding them of interest. The only new ad that we have put on the site is the one in the right column. If you use the site like me, you can completely ignore the right column if you wish because it is not even visible if you size the window to hide it.

All of that said, I have stated that we are trying different things with the new design, and it is a work in progress... far from done. I personally, would like to target things so that the ads were specific to a particular area of the site. We aren't there yet. I have also stated that we'd like to be able to offer an Ad-Free version of the site for those folks that feel they need that (for a small annual fee).

We have added more ads to the site if you are not registered or not logged in. There are a few more google ads that appear in the threads, and there are ads in the archive pages. These are new, and should have no effect on our regular visitors. If you are seeing them, then all I can say is register and login and they will go away.

We have always had a policy of not doing pop-ups, and when they do slip in through the ad networks, we quickly get rid of them as soon as they are brought to our attention.

Which ads are bothering you the most?

By the way, the little Friends Link buttons are not new either... and most of the are not even active. We will definitely be doing something different with that, but this stuff all takes time to get done. Our priority right now is the PDA skin and so that is what is being worked on.
    Mike - Been Converged?

By the way, I wasn't complaining -- I just offered a comment. If I were to give my browsing experience some more thinking, I believe I find the horizontal ad spaces inserted between every 2 or so posts the most distracting, from a forum reading continuity standpoint.

It won't deter me from coming back here though.

Mike

Oh, wait.... I just noticed that the horizontal ad spaced I mentioned in my previous post only display if you're not logged it. Once you're logged in, you only have the side ads.

I guess I should've looked around more before posting in the first place.

Mike

Right... we did crank up the ads for people that aren't registered and logged in. I still don't think they are that bad, but it is going to do two things... encourage more people to join the site, and also generate more support for the site from people that just cruise by, grab some information, and then leave. If you notice, at any point in time there are a huge number of un-registered visitors on the site. I'm simply trying to tap them for some support since they aren't contributing to the discussion.

Ultimately, I'd like to get 3 stages... unregistered, registered, and premium. It isn't on the top of the list, but something we should get to when we have the time.

Thanks for the positive comments on the site.

By the way, I have noticed some sluggishness this evening and I'm going to look into that.... and be doing some tuning.
    Mike - Been Converged?

The adds in between posts in the thread is a bit much.

I am getting real tired of the adds, it is toooo much. Some of them have nothing to do with PDA Phones! "Whose sexy legs are these?" add That is getting to be a bit MUCH!!!! Please, relax on the adds, you are driving me out of here.

-rp-
    -rp-

~I760~
    (retired I700,XV6600,I730)

Administrator
    i dont see any ads between threads. i can understand if you see them while not logged in though..

as convegent stated, the site is a work in progress. please relax as we format the site for our demographics.

The ads between posts appear if you log out, and they will probably stay. I don't see any reason not to run them, and they are getting a lot of clicks so I would assume that some people like them. Its usually one ad between the 3rd and 4th post I believe. You'll never see them if you are logged in.

As for the sky ad on the right side with the legs... it is annoying me too, but I wanted to give it a little time to run and see what happens. That network has had crap ads for the last few weeks, while 90% of the time they usually are pretty relevant. My preference is to use that right column for sponsored ads instead... like from specific vendors that bet a static spot over there for a period of time. We are still working all this out and I've unfortunatly been pretty well buried the last few weeks and had very little time to work on it. Please have some patience as we continue to try and improve the site.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Also you can close the whole right side pane, just click the little <> next to where it says login panel. It will close on the current page you are viewing and then when refreshing or browsing another page, it will reappear. If you don't want to see it while reading lots of posts, then just hide it.

Also you are getting lots of free content, a few adds placed outside major content areas isn't that bad. If you go to almost all major news sites, you will find adds directly in the middle of the articles.