+ Reply to Thread
    ebb

A small rant....and a suggestion for searching

Those who participate in forums around the web for electronics, cars, etc. know that many of them end up as endless quasi-blogs for flames and other useless info. On the contrary, the pdaphonehome i730 forum has been, through the tireless efforts of MR, among the most useful around.

The past couple of weeks however, have seen, over and over, many restarted threads on topics that have been thoroughly discussed and carried not only since SDWM5 showed up, but back to the release of the device. By starting new threads again and again on the same topics, the forum disintegrates because information becomes harder to find, and new, useful topics and questions are lost as they are shunted to back pages. MR's patience and effort to try and "police" these duplicate (quintiplicate?) threads is unbelievable, and he deserves many thanks.

So for those that are really too challenged, or lazy, or self-important to use the pretty good search utility here, may I suggest just clicking the word "Replies" in the dark blue bar on the top of the forum above the stickies (that also seem too difficult for some to check). The forum will then re-sort with the most heavily utilized threads on top. Its a pretty good bet that your "very unique" question will be near the top, and if its got a recent reply date, then its also a good bet your answer will be there.

Sorry. Flame suit on. Comments?

thanks I for one never knew that! Course I always search!
    I started with a Psion Organizer in 1987!

Flame (ebb), Here's a new idea, let the mods moderate. By talking down to members and trying to moderate on your own helps no one!! You are starting a new thread which is exactly what MR does when needed, which goes against the whole point of your thread to begin with (repeat threads)???? Look at the big picture different people using a useful forum, with great advice, tools, and help. If people don't read and search the RED LINKS first do you think anyone will really listen to yours?? Leave the negs at home Flame

ebb
    Not moderating, just opinionating. And, check again- not speaking against new threads- the user community here begins many useful discussions- just annoyed, as many are (including the moderator), by the same ones being started over and over again, with the main issue being that these duplicates reduce the utility of the forum.

Hmmm... I give this thread 10 minutes until it's locked.... which is unfortunate, since I agree with your initial comment, ebb.

While I agree that thread propagation is a real danger, I find the search options lacking. Am I missing something or is there no option to search "the exact phrase". I am finding that when try to search I still get too much info and renders the search worthless. I will generally hold back asking a question rather then start with "I searched the forum but couldn't find..."

- Rich D.

Administrator
    if you want to search for a specific phrase use quotes. there is a section on searching here on the forum.

this site has thousands of members and more posts and threads. we have to limit the search function to keep load on the server minimal. server costs are high and to keep this site free for everyone, certain functions have to be limited.

with MW5 available to the users now i have seen a huge increase in multiple same topic threads and un neccessary threads/posts. mrailing has done a very good job of keeping that particular forum in line.

Quote Originally Posted by gprocket
    While I agree that thread propagation is a real danger, I find the search options lacking. Am I missing something or is there no option to search "the exact phrase". I am finding that when try to search I still get too much info and renders the search worthless. I will generally hold back asking a question rather then start with "I searched the forum but couldn't find..."

- Rich D.
    I agree with you. Telling people to search, and then finding that the answer lies somewhere within a 20-page thread, and that you can only view 10 or 20 replies at a time, is pretty discouraging.

- Tim
    Current: Verizon XV 6800 (HTC Mogul)
    Former: Samsung / Verizon i730 (insanely great, albeit odd in a few ways), Ipaq 5555 (ok but not great), Toshiba e740 (terrible), Palm V (great, for its time), Palm III, various Sharp Wizards (amazing and ahead of their time!)

ebb
    What usually works better and faster is to search twice, the first time to narrow down the number of threads to work with, and then a second search for the same terms within those few threads to identify the specific posts with those search terms.

I couldn't disagree with you more EBB. I hate the merged huge threads that get built up when people aren't allowed to start new similar threads. threads with more than 50 posts
    are a pain in the butt. merged threads are sometimes confusing.

People need to be more tolerant...IMHO

Allen