+ Reply to Thread

Why are the Mods closing threads prematurely?

I'm sure this thread will be closed before it meets the internet(s) but I've noticed a lot of threads being closed while dialogue is still working out an issue. for instance: this one

I wanted to ask a few pertinent q's regarding the subject but alas, the thread has been closed prematurely.
    Oh. By the way. I used the search button before starting this thread.

(can you tell I'm in a bad mood?)

Things do seem a bit mod happy around here lately.

Plus there's the reviews and whatnot that get moved to other forums because they could possibly pertain to more devices than the 6700.. and yet I'm sure a large portion of us never leave this one forum here hehe

Quote Originally Posted by rennyn
    Things do seem a bit mod happy around here lately.

Plus there's the reviews and whatnot that get moved to other forums because they could possibly pertain to more devices than the 6700.. and yet I'm sure a large portion of us never leave this one forum here hehe
    Reviews and other information gets moved because it may benefit other forums? Well...that sucks, because I'm guessing 90% of us never leave this forum. Bummer.

Why are threads closed anyway? For instance, what's the point of closing the aforementioend thread?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    It is because of the "helpful" moderating that I do NOT participate in this forum. I have never seen a forum where so many threads start with "I did a search" for fear that their thread willl be deleted. This is a very uncomfortable forum to post in. It's a shame because there are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people here. I hesitate to take the time to put together any kind of a lengthy reply to any questions here because of the likelyhood that it will be deamed useless and deleted, and I will have wasted my time....as I have with this post which will surely disappear.

Hopefully this thread will make the management of this site aware of the issue and correct it, so that the forum can continue on as a very helpful tool and a great forum.

Dave
    Last edited by Paragon; 07-09-2006 at 08:22 AM.

I agree with Dave, I'm very worried everytime I make a post because the search sucks and doesn't seem to find what you exactly need. And what really sucks is so many threads get off topic that when you do think you found the thread, you can't find the answer cause its totally off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggaAdams
    I agree with Dave, I'm very worried everytime I make a post because the search sucks and doesn't seem to find what you exactly need. And what really sucks is so many threads get off topic that when you do think you found the thread, you can't find the answer cause its totally off topic.

BiggaAdams, I understand your concern about off toplic content in a thread, at times it can be annoying, I agree. However I have noticed over the years that many, many times, the most useful info in a thread is the off topic discussion that evolved from the original discussion. I think it can be difficult to know when and more importantly HOW to handle off topic discussions without editing and loosing important information, that gets deleted here because it does not share the same thread title. There needs to be a balance between them that makes it easy and comfortable for everyone.

Dave

Administrator
    gents,

first off, if you have a gripe or issue or praise about this site, post it here... NOT in the forum themselves...

threads are closed for a number of reasons. as for the example posted above, it was closed becuase the info has been posted already and we like to keep duplicate threads down as much as possible on this site.
    you will not please everyone and this is one such case that someone is not pleased. no one should take anything personally on this site. its to help the next user down the road. we DO have other forums on this site and moving info into "general" forums will help it to get noticed by others who "dont venture out" into the other forums of this site. if you only stay in one forum on this site you are doing yourself a disservice. this site has a lot of information and we have to take a proactive step to keep things from getting out of line. not many forums have as many members and threads as this one so some folks will get their feelings hurt when their info has been moved or modified.

other sites may or may not care what gets posted or moved.. each site is different. and to those who refuse to "participate" on this forum becuase of modding... well, the fact that you are a member and that you READ this forum means you are "participating". you do not have to post to participate.. this site is a database and we got a ton of traffic from internet surfers on a daily basis...

now, this post is not in defense of what mods do, its just a response to this thread.

we get a thread like this every once in a while.. search and you will see what im talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Marctronixx
    search and you will see what im talking about...
    nice touch!

gents,
    we DO have other forums on this site and moving info into "general" forums will help it to get noticed by others who "dont venture out" into the other forums of this site. if you only stay in one forum on this site you are doing yourself a disservice.
    And in turn you are making it not get noticed by the people it was intended to be shared with...6700 users. The person posting it here is likely a 6700 user and wants to share the information with others who own the same. A sense of community starts to be broken when you start to shift people's posts.

I do not venture out into the "general" forums because I have a specific forum for my needs...where I can get input from and the perspective of other 6700 users. It can also be argued that those who do not venture into the more specific forums are doing themselves a disservice because that's where all the specific information for a particular device and accessories for that device are located....or at least would be unless they get moved.

gents,
    threads are closed for a number of reasons. as for the example posted above, it was closed becuase the info has been posted already and we like to keep duplicate threads down as much as possible on this site.
    Perhaps then a message capping the closed thread with links to all those other relevant threads should be posted.

Administrator
    gents, trying to list all threads for a particular subject is pointless when the search function works. if you dont venture out of your forum then thats fine (even though since you are replying to this thread you have "ventured" out of your comfort zone... ), but this forum is for the masses and not one particular person. if you wanted to look for a thread that has seem to have disappeared, just search for it site -wide and not that particular forum to see if it was merged with another thread or moved to another forum.

again, there is no best way to please everyone, so comprimises will have to be made and some folks will have a negative reaction as we see here.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3d
    And in turn you are making it not get noticed by the people it was intended to be shared with...6700 users. The person posting it here is likely a 6700 user and wants to share the information with others who own the same. A sense of community starts to be broken when you start to shift people's posts.
    I'm with you greg3d.

This thread was moved here to hide it. Not leaving a redirect made that plainly clear. Closing it as it was when it was first moved was a slap in the face to those who posted the thread and replied to it. Many of the concerns have not been address. Just the easy ones.

As I said before, I do not participate in this forum, even though Marctronixx wants to make it look like reading the forums is participating. It's not. I'm simply taking from the forum, and not giving anything. There have been many times I could have answered a question here, but I refuse to do so when I see how it is run. I would really like to participate in this forum, but I won't when I have posts deleted without good reason, and I see it happen to so many others as well. That is very unfortunate, since I'm sure I'm far from alone in this matter. It's the members who get hurt because of it. Just because one or two moderators feel deleting and moving people's posts "Helps them a lot"

Running a forum should never be as Draconian as this. Forums should be helpful and FUN to participate in. You should never feel the need to start a thread with the sentance "I did a search" for fear that it will be deleted, as we see happen here pretty much on a daily basis.

I truly hope the day will come when I feel comfortable posting here and helping my fellow PPC users.

Dave

Administrator
    amigo, why must you get bitter in your posts? OK, so you are NOT participating... even though every post you make counts towards overall posts on the site.. but.. have it your way...

so i moved this thread here to HIDE IT??? this is a public forum and this is where you post issues with the site, etc.. how is that hiding? we do not like redirects as they clog up the forums.

this thread has run its course and its clear you dont accept the rules. thats your view so who am i to change it. i only wanted to voice that when things are edited, moved, etc. no one should take it personal.. its for the better of the site.

Yeah, that's cool. Ignore the comments that people make. Put them down for doing so, and defend your position to the end. Don't ever think that some of your members may have a valid point. It's not bitterness you are reading, it's disappointment.