+ Reply to Thread
    Could I BE any more converged tonydiv's Avatar

Over-moderating again???

I thought that we had the over-moderating problem on this forum solved, but it seems to be rearing its ugly head again.

Examples:
    A thread about SiriuCe stays in this forum, while a thread about the SiriuCe 2.0 release gets moved to general discussion.

My thread about whether 6700 users read the manual is moved to general discussion, despite the fact that it is aimed specifically at 6700 users.

Numerous threads about bluetooth stay in this forum even though most don't have anything to do with the 6700.

A thread about getting software for the 6700 gets moved to general discussion.

Can anyone find any rhyme or reason to this, I sure can't.

Why don't we just keep threads about the 6700 here, I'm sure that there won't be any adverse issues with the forum.

Vent over

For me as a 6700/pdaphonehome.com noob, this is the only place I go (specifically this forum) for anything related to my 6700. The first thread I started was asking about a single-line today screen weather program, which obviously got moved to the pda phone discussion forum. I then felt like a noob, and would've apologized to anyone applicable for doing something wrong. But you have a good point, there are other forums for this stuff, BUT I don't look in those other forums for info. I just look here. Frankly, I wish it would all stay here

Could I BE any more converged tonydiv's Avatar
    Wow did this ever prove my point.

A bit FU to whoever moved this thread TOO.

Agreed. Frankly most of the other forums aren't worth reading here, too full of useless stuff. The 6700 forum should remain for ANYTHING that involves a 6700. I bet 90% of the people who read that forum don't read ANY of the other forums here.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydiv
    Wow did this ever prove my point.

A bit FU to whoever moved this thread TOO.

I agree that your orginal thread appeared aimed at the 6700 crowd, and that most users probably only look at their device specific forum and do not look at the general forums. That being said, my guess is that the MODs are not paid for their activities, and that the 6700 forum especially would be a big unreadable mess without their help. I am a veteran of the 6600 forum (as a lurker, not a poster), and there was a time (the flame wars) when that forum got out of control. It took several MODs, including the head honcho of MODs who started this entire forum, to get the thing under control--users were banned from ever returning--it was a real mess (entertaining though). Anyway, I'm sure that the MODs have good cause for taking whatever actions they take, or that if they do act arbitrarilly, they do so rarely and it is a fair price to pay for there being MODs in the first place.

Bottom line, it is never appropriate to swear at someone in public who is (rightly or wrongly) engaging in a volunteer capacity as a public service--whether you are in the on-line or the meat world, this is considerered bad behavior.

Administrator
    guys, we are not going to keep doing this dance. moderation on a huge forum like this is a neccessary evil. it has to be done, period. a lot of stuff thats in one forum can and should be seen by the masses. we try not to segregate here as thats not the point. there are many other sub forums on this site that get the same attention. i am not here to try and argue once again the reasonings behind moderation. some other sites dont care what people post and how often the subject matter is posted. this is not that type of site. we HAVE to keep this site under control or it will get out of hand.

I personally moved THIS thread to THIS forum because thats where this type of subject belongs.. it does NOT belong in the main forums. do not air any dirty laundry so to speak in the fourms. those places are reserved for discussions of phone specific topics, NOT site management.

again, someone is bound to voice their opinion on how things are ran.. thats human nature. just understand everything is for the good of the site and search engine. all you have to do is subscribe to your threads (set it up automatically) and then it doesnt matter where a thread ends up.. you will always know where it is. we have RSS service that you can use to keep track of certain threads also. use the site to your advantage instead of trying to dirty its name and the kind people who take time out of their day to keep the site flowing.

cursing solves nothing and do not continue to do it.

I don't care how a site is moded.I'm a guest here.I am a little confused where to post.I have a 6700 but some of my questions are Pocket PC related.Where should we post these? For example, I have a mpeg file that plays fine on media player, but isnt recognized on my 6700.Where should I post a question like this?

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Dr. Geee, that sounds like a candidate for the 6700 forum... but I can't guarantee that once you post it, a Mod might not have a different view when its read.

To backup what Marc said, the "to mod, or not to mod" question is one that is constantly debated. Some people get very emotional about it, and I can't do anything about that. What I can tell you (believe me or not), is that I get as many comments from people that we need to mod more, as I do from people saying we mod too much.

The mods here are volunteers, and they do their best to try and keep things flowing and organized. It can be a thankless job at times, and the only reason they do it... is because they have a desire to help other users with what they've learned about the device.

I'd ask for all of your patience on this. If one of your posts gets moved, please don't take it personal. The only motivation is to try and make things better. Sometimes mistakes are made, and posts might get moved back where they started. I'd also ask that you all broaden your horizon... and try to use some of the other forums here so that we don't end up with some unmanagable mess in one busy forum.

Thanks for your cooperation...
    Mike - Been Converged?