+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Can Admins Create A FAQ?

Once again i've found myself on a forum that is flooded with questions. Many successful forums I have found created a FAQ or a designated Thread to all common questions and their successful answers. Is there anyway to do this? I don't mind reading 20 pages to find an answer to one question... but it does get annoying. Another successful thing I've seen is at the very end of a thread, put the original question and what answered it. This makes finding the answer so much easier than scanning through 20 pages of what is sometimes nonsense. Yes, doing a search will help find the answer, but sometimes, you don't even know where to start and sometimes reading through a FAQ will keep you aware of possible issues and give you tips on things you didn't know about. I'm willing to help create this thread and update it.. but i'm just throwing the suggestion out there..

EDIT: I do realize there is a spot for tips and tricks as well as a spot for programs that do and don't work. But the type of thread I'm talking about is one along the lines of:

Bluetooth Not Working
    DSOD
    Tethering
    ETC

That either being the first post on the thread, linking to the answers down the line, or links to a completely different thread.
    Last edited by jhuroleye; 11-14-2006 at 07:24 PM.

I would be more than happy to voulunteer for this initiative...kind of along the lines of creating a wiki for the 6700. I probably won't be able to start until after thanksgiving though.

What you'll find is that this is specific to the device. For example, if you look at the i730 or i700 forum--you'll find some very nice FAQs. Obviously, some of these will overlap for each device, but since each device is unique, I would hold that there ought to be a FAQ for each device.
    Jeremiah 29:11

i just think that would make the overall experience here on these forums more enjoyable... new users to the 6700 could find answers right away without digging through hundreds of posts to find their answer... plus it will help do away with the repeted duplicate questions.. including a recent one i just saw with someone asking about how to save the contacts... thats an easy faq question.. another option is possibly making sub categories... like to certain aspects of the phone... such as bluetooth, wifi, basic use, etc.. to make searching easier... i dunno.. i just think it would benefit everyone... there won't be the need to want to "bump" your question so often for people to see it... i'm willing to help with anything...

EDIT: lol i just realized that my post had not fallen off to another page... but had been moved to a different section of the forum... lol whoops..

I've started a comprehensive FAQ/walkthrough guide for the WM5 devices in general and more specfic features for the 6700. Please post what you'd like to see in there.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    These are good ideas. Its ironic that PDAPhoneHome started out life as just an FAQ site... but as the number of devices multiplied and the traffic increased, it was tough to keep up. It is highly dependent on having a team of volunteers for a particular device that is willing to help put it together. In some of the device forums, very good FAQs have been developed.

We also started a beta wiki at PDAPhoneWiki.com but I haven't had a lot of time to work on it. If anyone is interested in helping to get that going for a device or to, let me know and we'll try to make it happen.
    Mike - Been Converged?