+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazing

Amazing

I replied to a response to It has been said there are no stupid questions.......

I agreed with one other person who said the remarks were a bit rough. They removed the two responses and closed the thread. They kept the responses that was not considerate to a new person on the board. I said the answer to a stupid question is there are no stupid questions, just questions that get moved by the moderators to oblivion. I guess the war has just escalated.

Until this gets killed, people this is our board. It has been a great board because we have been able to freely discuss issues. I think it maybe time to find a new home. Howard's forums and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/index.php maybe two places to consider.

Instead of killing this thread maybe the moderators can speak to the issue of disappearing threads. We are your customers and deserve to be treated with respect. I still like this place and mean no ill will but if this board turns into a controlled medium then it is time to move on.

Always Believe In 1 GroundNPound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyoung
    I replied to a response to It has been said there are no stupid questions.......

I agreed with one other person who said the remarks were a bit rough. They removed the two responses and closed the thread. They kept the responses that was not considerate to a new person on the board. I said the answer to a stupid question is there are no stupid questions, just questions that get moved by the moderators to oblivion. I guess the war has just escalated.

Until this gets killed, people this is our board. It has been a great board because we have been able to freely discuss issues. I think it maybe time to find a new home. Howard's forums and http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/index.php maybe two places to consider.

Instead of killing this thread maybe the moderators can speak to the issue of disappearing threads. We are your customers and deserve to be treated with respect. I still like this place and mean no ill will but if this board turns into a controlled medium then it is time to move on.
    Agreed! The mods here like to do this and will probably always do it. Most of them seem to be on a power trip and feel they are gods. I don't come around here that much anymore and neither does my staff.
    There is no ideal routine. In fact, the key to any routine lies in your ability to abandon it for another.

-Always Believe In One Forum-

GroundNPound, where do you like to go for news and information about the PPC6700 or other pocketPC phones?

GroundNPound, where do you like to go for news and information about the PPC6700 or other pocketPC phones?
    PPC Geeks mostly and a couple others like you named already.
    There is no ideal routine. In fact, the key to any routine lies in your ability to abandon it for another.

Comfortably Converged
    A "controlled medium" is what a good forum should be imo. The i730 portion of the pdaphonehome site is the best forum I have ever used. This is largely due to the moderators removing, moving and/or locking threads like the one described above. It keeps it clean and keeps the relevant information more readily available on searches. Yes the responses were too rough, but perhaps looking through an owners manual or a few more minutes looking at each key would have solved the problem as well. I myself have looked for the '!' key dozens of times, but I have managed to find it every time.

Indeed, but I believe you are misunderstanding our gripe. We agree with a needed medium and this forum has them; however in our experience we believe they abuse their power and illogically manage.

I'll agree there is a time and place to manage threads and I do know that the old newsgroups on the Net turned into sex ads and other come ons without moderators. So moderators are a good thing.

Removing the two responses on that thread had nothing to do with cleaning up the thread. Closing the thread was crazy because the thread was probably going to quickly disappear with all the activity. In and of itself this is a trivial issue and not worthy of my getting a bit concerned over it. However as GroundNPound pointed out and others have mentioned in other threads these moderators have gone wild. Yes it is Moderators gone wild. They are over managing this place and it has changed. It is probably a matter of ads and making sure they stay on point to sell to the advertisers the selective audience. Unfortunately you manage it to much and the selective audience might disappear. I checked PPC Geeks and the place looks like the open forum this place use to be back a few years ago.

I checked PPC Geeks and the place looks like the open forum this place use to be back a few years ago.
    Oh yes! and now-

Moderators Gone Wild! is that on DVD yet?

All jokes aside, I know some of the comments (including mine) were a bit tuff. I understand how u guys feel as well. Maybe posts are deleted to save space on the server...
    ...WarDoggz...

Don't Bother Me .... I'm Makin Music ...

WarDogg, yours was a bit rough but I'm not here to judge. It was the guys first post so I thought he should be given a break but I'm not a moderator.

If they have to delete to save file space then they have serious problems. These messages can't take up anymore space than a small email. Probably each message is in the 2k, 4k size. I've been here since 2003 and you can go back to the first thread. If this was an issue then they have plenty of old thread to delete rather than touching the new ones. In terms of cost my bet is on bandwidth and the expense of having all of the traffic. By the way they just deleted a few replies but kept the thread.
    Last edited by timezone; 01-20-2007 at 04:43 PM.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    However as GroundNPound pointed out and others have mentioned in other threads these moderators have gone wild. Yes it is Moderators gone wild. They are over managing this place and it has changed.
    I have been involved as a member and as a moderator of many forums over the years....I've NEVER seen one over managed and as rude to new members as this one is. I can't count how many first time posters I've seen who were chastised by moderators and had their threads closed. I find it very upsetting because for those first time posters it is their first exposure to the Windows Mobile community and they get blasted. It is a reflection of the whole community. I have been an evangelist for this platform for a long time. I've worked hard to promote it, as many people here have. I was even a Microsoft Mobile Devices MVP for a while. Having seen so many others along with myself put such an effort into promoting this platform it truly does upset me to see moderators treat new member, or people who are simply looking for a solution to their problem, the way they do.

Think about this for a minute.....Is it really that big of a deal if someone asks a question that may have been asked before? How do you know that the answers given before are even useful to them? Does it matter if they ask a dumb question? Does it really matter if they ask more than one question? We're here to help each other and in particular to help new members of the community. Instead the moderators here turn them away in favor of some pristine search function that works without managing it in such a way.

.....and I know full well this post and thread will be deleted or moved to some obscure forum in order to hide it.

Dave
    Last edited by Paragon; 01-20-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon
    Think about this for a minute.....Is it really that big of a deal if someone asks a question that may have been asked before? How do you know that the answers given before are even useful to them?
    Said it best here! Yes this may cramp a bit, but over all we are here to learn and assist. How can we do that if questions are not asked?

Great points Dave.

Administrator
    i edited that post to only include the answer. if the comments there offended anyone, they should have contacted a mod to take care of it. there is no reason to disrespect anyone here and i dont kno wo fany mod who disrespects anyone. if they DO, by all means send us a heads up on it.

guys, if you have any issues with the way the board is managed, PM a mod or myself or Convergent or feel free to post here. i ask with respect that you do not use the fourm as a virtual soap box to voice your opinion on how things are handled here. this is a site for the information of pda phones and not a bashing forum for mods.

its the internet folks, you can not please everyone at once so why take things so personal??

Marctronixx,

These types of remarks are not meant as mod bashing, but as a means of pointing out how many people here feel about it. It's unfortunate that they are never taken seriously and are put down and usually deleted, and the posters made to feel like they are s***distrurbers in your replys and private messages.

I mean no harm to you and only wish the best for this forum....but geeezzz, let your members have a bit of freedom.

.........and once again moved to an obscure forum to hide it....not even a redirect. That is VERY telling.

I've said my bit and I'm done.

Dave
    Last edited by Paragon; 01-20-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Administrator
    this is not an obscure forum.. this is where such threads should go. if you navigate around the site, you may find more info. you and i have danced together before on this subject as im sure you can rememeber...

as i said, you can not please everyone. there are way more members on this site who do not have a problem with modding and then there are some people who have issues with it. we do the best we can for the masses. it was unfortunate for that thread referred to in this thread to not be corrected peoperly, but mistakes happen. i edited the comments and that was that.

and as for moving the thread to obscurity, hey you found it! this particular thread needs no redirect. it has nothing to do with the 6700 or ppc phones in general. we typically dont leave up redirects for threads that are way off base from the sub forum it was located in.

your comments and others are taken seriously and we do the best we can, but not all can be pleased.

and as for moving the thread to obscurity, hey you found it!
    The only way I found this thread was because of the email notification.

Young man, no one likes a smartass, especially when they are a moderator and they are being a smartass to people who are only trying to help.