+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Upgrades - We may experience some outages

I am preparing to upgrade the scripts that comprise PDAPhoneHome, so that we can add some new capabilities, and the update to the vBulletin script will likely cause the site to be down for a period of time, as well as potentially some odd template behaviors during the upgrade. I will try to minimize the problems, but there is not much way to avoid some of it. I ask for your patience. We are planning to deploy a more integrated wiki engine that requires the upgrades, and it is also time to refresh the scripts anyways. Hopefully my nights and coffee consumed won't be too bad!
    Mike - Been Converged?

I have completed the upgrades on the scripts, but it will take some time to get through all the templates and make sure everything is as it should be. If you run into anything behaving in a weird manner, please report it hear so we can take a look at it.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike, when I hit "Quick Reply," nothing happens. I get no response both on my work PC (Windows XP) and my home Mac (Safari). Any idea why I can't Quick Reply?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

iProb8, it is working fine for me here... in fact I'm using it to reply. Can you possibly let me know what browser/versions you are using? We can then see if anyone else reports the problem. I'd also try clearing and reseting your cookie, as often browser problems with vBulletin are related to that.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike, at work I'm use IE version 7.0.5730.11. I'm at work now so I can't tell you what version of Safari I'm using at home, but it's whatever the most current version is. What's so bizarre is that the problem occurs under both Safari and IE. I'll try reseting my cookie and let you know what happens.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Mike, I tried clearing my cookies and still cannot use Quick Reply. FYI, before the recent changes to the site, I was able to use Quick Reply. My problems started only after the recent changes to the site.

Also, to clarify, the problem is when I click the "Quick Reply" button to a post, not when I use the Quick Reply button below the message box.
    -Jay

Ah... now I got you. That doesn't work for me either. I turned off Threaded View, so that might be the reason. It is recommended that if you allow the normal quick reply (without requiring the selection of a post) that you disable Threaded view since it makes the forum discussion totally nonsensical in a threaded view... vs. serialized which is the normal view.

Just out of curiosity, why do you use the Quick Reply button instead of the Quick Reply at the bottom?

I will look into what is causing this and put Threaded view back if its the cause...and the users want to use the Quick Reply button.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I use the Quicky Reply button at the bottom of the post because it enables the "Quote message in reply" checkbox in the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the thread. Also, often times I find I want to reply to a post that's in the middle (rather than end) of a thread. When I hit the Quick Reply button at the bottom of the post, it jumps me down to the end of the thread (so I don't have to scroll) and puts my cursor (I think) in the Quick Reply message box. And, like I just mentioned, it allows me to use the "Quote message in reply?" box to quote from the post to which I am replying.

FWIW, I think I use the serialized view. Is this the ones that list all posts in chronological order without trying to link posts to one another?
    -Jay

Test or quick reply...
    Mike - Been Converged?

Well this is a mystery... I thought it might just be a simple template problem, but the url that shows up when you hover over the button is correct, but yet it doesn't do anything when you select it. Odd.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Well, I must confess that I'm a bit pleased that I stumped you because it means that I'm not a total idiot who was missing something simple.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Well, I must confess that I'm a bit pleased that I stumped you because it means that I'm not a total idiot who was missing something simple.
    Well, the downside is that it will probably be a pain to fix. Unfortunately the only way to get help from the developer on such things is to totally back out all hacks/modifications/templates and go to vanilla vBulletin... which would be a bit tough on this site. I will try to get it fixed, but it may take a while.
    Mike - Been Converged?

This is another test with the standard template...
    Mike - Been Converged?

OK, Try it now. I am going to look like a genious because it seems to be working now, but I can't explain why. I copied one of the templates to Notepad, and then reverted it to the default. Quick Reply then worked. So then I placed the contents of Notepad back into the template and saved it, and now it works. Go figure.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike, it's still not working for me.

BTW, I didn't mean that I was glad it's going to be a pain for you. It's just that sometimes I try to multi-task a bit too much and, as a result, miss things. Thus, I was just relieved that I didn't miss something obvious.

Sorry you're having problems here.
    -Jay

Hey, I took it the way you intended... no worries. As a close friend always says, "Nothing hard is every easy!". Besides, I just watched a dude lose $475K on "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"... he had $500K and went for the million dollar question and missed it. So this isn't so bad.

Try this. It is now working for me on the first post or the last post only, and the Multi-Quote button does the same thing.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Interesting, it works on the first post for me, but not the last. Now, I've only tried it on this thread. Would it make a difference if I tried a different thread?

Glad you didn't tell me who got kicked off American Idol. Oh wait, that was last night.
    -Jay

I think I got it fixed... let me know if it gives you any more trouble. Multiquote and QuickReply should work.

For those that aren't familiar with Multiquote, you click the little Quotes icon between Quote User and Quick Reply on as many replies as you want to include as quotes. Then when you hit reply or quick reply, it will bring in quotes from all those folks, separated and identifying each user separately too... pretty cool.
    Mike - Been Converged?

This is an example...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    OK, Try it now. I am going to look like a genious because it seems to be working now, but I can't explain why. I copied one of the templates to Notepad, and then reverted it to the default. Quick Reply then worked. So then I placed the contents of Notepad back into the template and saved it, and now it works. Go figure.
    ... of how multi-quote works...

Mike, it's still not working for me.

BTW, I didn't mean that I was glad it's going to be a pain for you. It's just that sometimes I try to multi-task a bit too much and, as a result, miss things. Thus, I was just relieved that I didn't miss something obvious.

Sorry you're having problems here.
    ... feel free to try it out.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    I think I got it fixed... let me know if it gives you any more trouble. Multiquote and QuickReply should work.

For those that aren't familiar with Multiquote, you click the little Quotes icon between Quote User and Quick Reply on as many replies as you want to include as quotes. Then when you hit reply or quick reply, it will bring in quotes from all those folks, separated and identifying each user separately too... pretty cool.
    Yup, Mike, I too think you have it fixed. I tried using Quick Reply in a couple of other threads, as well as this one, and had not problems.

And, btw, thanks for explaining what the multi-quotes button does. I hadn't figured that one out yet.
    -Jay