+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Wiki Testing - Please Read

There have been many requests for a wiki over the last several months, and we have had a wiki at pdaphonewiki.com for some time, but have not rolled it out because the integration level with the rest of the site wasn't where we wanted it. We are now testing a new approach to this, and are hopeful that it will work out. We are actually doing the testing right out in the open, which has potential problems associated with it, but its what I thought would be the quickest way to do it. Please note that there is nothing in there at this point worth looking at, or its just incorporating threads that already exist on the site... so you can ignore it for now. I will make an announcement when we are ready to have people start contributing, and the team will get the intial structure setup. So at this point please refrain from jumping in and editing. We will invite you to do that in the near future.

The rest of this is a test....

There is something special to look at.
    There is Something Special to look at.
    There is a processor in a computer.
    There are processors in a computer.
    I have a Pocket PC.
    I have a pocket pc in my pocket.
    I have a PocketPC.
    I have a PocketPC in my pocket.
    This is a test article that you may find useless.
    Mike - Been Converged?

ooo I was up trolling the forum last night and I must say... all these wiki test posts are getting me excited!
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

But the cool part this, when we actually get the bugs worked out, is that you WILL be able to see wiki updates when you are up trolling the forum. That is what we were shooting for, and the current approach should get us there. But the test posts I'm sure are just making your day!
    Mike - Been Converged?

Another test...

There is something special to look at.
    There is Something Special to look at.
    There is a processor in a computer.
    There are processors in a computer.
    I have a Pocket PC.
    I have a pocket pc in my pocket.
    I have a PocketPC.
    I have a PocketPC in my pocket.
    This is a test article that you may find useless.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Mike - Been Converged?

Can't wait to see the PDAPhone with the Ninendo processor in it.

I'm enjoying reading your tests. Reminds me of Mad magazine. Sure seems like you're having fun experimenting.

Although I have a basic idea of what a Wiki is, I'm not very familiar with them so I figure following your tests might be a good way to learn. Looking forward to the final version....
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Wow you guys beat me to it.

This will be a good thig.

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    Can't wait to see the PDAPhone with the Nintendo processor in it.

I'm enjoying reading your tests. Reminds me of Mad magazine. Sure seems like you're having fun experimenting.

Although I have a basic idea of what a Wiki is, I'm not very familiar with them so I figure following your tests might be a good way to learn. Looking forward to the final version....

Haha... yep, you are seeing part of my weird sense of humor!

We have been wanting to do a wiki for a long time, but we didn't like the lack of integration that it introduced to the site (our site has always been total forum based - under the covers - so that searches were complete). We now have the ability to implement this in a totally integrated manner.

A "wiki" is a concept for building an information database where anyone can contribute. Say you input an article on how to setup your PDAPhone to work with a Slingbox. But, you have a Pocket PC Phone, so that's all you could comment on. Someone with a Palm Phone comes along and adds some input to make it more complete... and they can edit what you typed to integrate it. Then another person comes along and notices that a new release of Slingbox came out so it needs to be updated... they update it. Unlike forum threads where only the author can update their post (or a moderator), with a wiki, any registered user can participate.

To keep things organized, the wiki article keeps track of all the history. If someone either intentionally or unintentionally input information that was totally wrong, then a moderator can roll the article back to a prior version. Each revision of each article is maintained in the historical database. Also, anyone who has contributed to an article is added to the contributor's list... and with the revision history you can see who added what (key if someone tries to wipe things out maliciously).

With the script we are using, each article name (usually articles are named by keywords - the subject they are about) are automatically linked into the cashed posts... you can see an example of that in this thread... as we get going, it will keep the links in recent posts updated with hotlinks to the wiki. So if you are talking about something, your post will get hot linked to wiki articles about the subject. Or, you can just use the wiki bbcode to link to it yourself. This is also kind of cool. Say you are going to describe what a ROM is to a new user. Rather than just type it, you input in your post that they can find a description in the wiki... and just use the wiki bbcode on the word ROM. You save your reply. You then notice that the word ROM is highlighted in red. You click on the word, and you get an empty wiki article called "ROM". You then can input your description of it there and save it. Now rather than being buried in a forum thread, your description is in the wiki, and will be automatically hotlinked to future discussions about ROMs. Moderators, or other members, may also permanently tie it into the wiki books/articles by editing them. But, what if a ROM wiki article already existed when you typed ROM in your new reply. Then when you clicked on the word ROM, you would have gone to the existing article. There can only be one article called ROM in the whole wiki.

That will give you a taste of what a wiki can do. It will be a key way for us to maintain our FAQs as well going forward... then members can update them if they find new information.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Thanks for the great explanation, Mike.

I wasn't able to check the forums yesterday, and today I notice a series of 4 new icons/buttons at the bottom of every post. Is this related to development of the Wiki?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Nope, unrelated to the wiki... they are for social bookmarking. The first one lets you Digg the thread... If you are not familiar with Digg, it is big in blogging and lets people rate an article as important to them, and sites like Digg rank them.
    Mike - Been Converged?