+ Reply to Thread
    Comfortably Converged

Floating pop-up ads

This morning I noticed those ads (dont know the real name for them) that float across your screen while you are trying to read while on this site. Just wanted to state that is the most annoying type of ad for me. Banner ads, ads on the side of the screen, even ads in the posts, dont bother me as much as that. I do click on the ads you have on the site, especially the ones for ppc accessories. Are you doing these floating ads now Convergent, or did it possibly come from the site I was on before that? If you are doing those now, I am not going to threaten you with leaving the site because you have an awesome site. However, I will not click on those.

Administrator
    i am 100% sure convergent is not using those ads here. sometimes the ad rotation gets in it some nasty ads. this has happened a few times in the past. if you can get any info from the ad itself or if you look at the bottom of the page it will show you the script thats loading. make a note of that and let convergent know. he can then go and reprimand that ad sponsor. its not the policy of the site to use such ads... pop ups/unders...

Comfortably Converged
    One came up this morning. At the bottom of the browser it said http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/ (I might be a bit off on that) It was a red square that said "We need your opinion! Take a survey" I had been through maybe 8 pages on the site.

Administrator
    thank you for the follow up. i will let Convergent know about this thread and have him speak on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixftunda View Post
    One came up this morning. At the bottom of the browser it said http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/# (I might be a bit off on that) It was a red square that said "We need your opinion! Take a survey" I had been through maybe 8 pages on the site.
    Just Curious... what browser are you using... I use Firefox 2.0.0.4 currently and I have not seen any adds you describe. You might want to do a scan for Spyware/Adware and check out your BHO settings with HijackThis. I have seen those type of floating ads in some adware BHO's that load themselves in IE. Just a thought.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    If such an ad is running, it has slipped in inadvertantly and we will get rid of it. Any information you can provide about it would be helpful. I haven't seen any, but I haven't been on much over the weekend. I'll definitely be on the lookout on Monday. What browser are you using, and any info about the ad will help. Also check your maching as MGuzzy suggested.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I have now seen the popup floating add... Next time I see it I'll try and get a screen shot with the banner adds...If it makes any difference I'm running WinXP Home SP2 (w/all the updates) and Firefox 2.0.0.4.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Comfortably Converged
    Sorry, I spose I should subscribe to this ad. I havent seen it lately. I am running win xp pro sp2 and firefox 2.0.0.4