+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hi again. I haven't been getting pop ups in last few days, but this evening have had another problem. I start at the 760 index page of threads. When I go to look at a thread, and then click on the back button (after I have finished reading the thread), it is not going back to the index of threads. I click again, nada... I click again, and finally after the 3rd try it goes back to the index. I have tried to see the web address in the status bar below, and it is admt or something. By the way- it is only happening on this site. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem. I do notice that you have dynamic ads now on the bottom of the page- so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Nadine

Forever Confused
    I've been getting this also. It's like the page refreshes every so often. This puts another page into my "back" history. Meaning I have to hit the back button multiple times just to back up one page.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    You'll have to give me more information on this one... never heard of it before. I am using IE7 and Firefox and haven't seen it at all. I'd also try logging out, closing your browser, restarting and logging back in. Usually weird stuff ends up being cookie issues.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Hi there. It is happening again today, on a totally different machine, and in this thread. My cookies, and cache is clear. The back button does not work. I was able to catch some quick words in status bar- "a bad url- view.atdmt....", and another one- a bad url http:// ad.doubleclick.net/adi/n4854.......

It definitely has something to do with the revolving ads on the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps, as the problem is very distracting.

Nadine

P.S Since the back button didn't work, I tried the little arrow to the right of back button.... and all past urls say http://media.adrevolver.com/adrevolv...ace=19177&cpy=..........
    Last edited by verysleepy; 10-25-2007 at 06:56 AM.
    Nadine

I get this too; have to use the back button many times

The history list has a bunch of media.adrollover.com entries in it.

I have to constantly move the mouse over the right ad skyscraper to keep the "helpful" topic popup's from blocking my view (a pita, btw) maybe that does it?

IE7, XP SP2

pp
    fwiw

Ad me to the list of users seeing this behavior in the past day or two. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.8 with the built-in pop-up blocker enabled and the NoScript extention installed. I have PDAPhoneHome & GoogleSyndication whitelisted.

Every 5 to 15 seconds (it seems to vary) the NoScript "blocked script" warning comes up and another page is added to the "Back" list.

This is the only site I've seen this behavior at.

pat----

24 hours later, the behavior I outlined above is no longer occurring. Thank you!

pat----

Hi again. Same here... it is not acting up today... but Convergent- it definitely has something to do with adrevolver.com That is the URL that kept coming up when the little arrow next to back button that showed history was clicked on.
    Nadine

I forgot to post back in here that I fixed it. That ad on the bottom of the page was rotating multiple banners while you were on a single page, and they aren't supposed to get added into history. When you hit Back, you were just going back through the banners which obiously is not something you want to do. I will leave it turned up until the ad network provides a solution. I hadn't seen the problem because I've not been on a page long enough for it to trigger the cycling. I appreciate everyone's patience as I continue to try and fine tune this stuff. This stuff is so complicated that every time you touch one thing, you cause 3 other things to be effected.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Forever Confused
    Thank you for the quick fix. I hope you can get it set so that it can bring the most benifit to the board.

I am trying a different method now that I believe will load the overall page faster, but with some browsers may produce extra click noises. I'm going to post how to turn that off.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike,

I'm sorry to report it's happening again. Pages are reloading every 10-20 seconds. Some sort of script is trying to execute (and being blocked by NoScript) and the Back Button is being flooded with ad changes instead of actual prior pages.

pat----

Hmm... not sure what would have caused that. Is it doing it now? I have made major changes to the ad serving for the site today, including bringing on line a totally separate server to serve them so that the pages can load faster. I briefly tried a different script about a half hour ago... but removed it within about 5 minutes because it wasn't working. Let me know if its still doing it, and any details that you see. You should see the ads reloading, but that should have no effect now on the back button, and it should have no effect on the page loading.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Hi Mike

Sorry to report.. it is happening right now. The back button is not operative. In the drop down menu under the arrow, it lists all the ads. Some are specific, some just say advertisement.
    Nadine

I rolled everything back to the way it was before... will regroup and try again. I talked to a couple of other people that were having big problems with it in Mozilla... IE seemed to be OK.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I had crashed after posting my note Monday night and didn't notice your reply. I did not notice the same behavior Tuesday or last night in FireFox. This morning I am noticing siginificant page reloads (every 10-20 seconds) and "loss of "focus" in IE7 (at work). By "loss of focus" I mean I'm typing away in the Quick Reply box and all the sudden my cursor's gone and my typing is no longer showing up until I move the mouse and click back inside the text box.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, I've gotten two "talking" adverts ... definitely not a good thing for a site that's likely to be read in the workplace.

I'm really sorry to be such a nudge about this. I can't thank you enough for running a site like this. I used to SysOp for Delphi and GEnie years ago and can barely imagine the effort it takes to run a whole site like this.

pat----

Hi Pat,

I'm sorry about the problems. Its odd about the typing behavior because the only change I've made to the ads in the last day is to slow the rotation down. Does this consistenly happen all the time? I have had some bizarre problems with IE7 sometimes and found that restarting it periodically solved them. I was literally on support with someone because a script wasn't working correctly and it turned out that it was just IE7 being flakey. Restarted it and all was well. I'm not saying there isn't a problem, I'm just saying I've not seen it at all running IE7 and Mozilla all day. I had a number or refreshes while I was typing this reply and never had a loss of focus or cursor move. Keep an eye on it and let me know if it continues after a browser reset.

On the talking ads, you are going to have to tell me which ad it is, and try to get a url that it is tied to which will help me figure out which network is feeding it. We've always had an occaisional rogue ad that pops up and slips through the filters. I don't want any talking ads on the site, so if they are here I want to quickly weed them out. I have several sessions going with two browsers all day and I've not heard any of them... so any help you could give in finding them would be great. We deal with multiple networks and each of them have hundreds of advertisers that change from day to day... so its like finding a needle in a haystack.

I am truly sorry about the problems, but do want to know about them. Thats why I started this thread to alert everyone to pending changes in this stuff that might have some side effects. I've been testing 3 different ad management systems over the last week, which meant installing each of them multiple times, and then recreating all of the campaigns and ads in each one multiple times. Unfortunately, I'm right back where I started because there were negative side effects with both of the enhanced systems. Except that the ad management system is running on a second server now.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Mike,

Unfortunately I didn't "see" the talking advert today and it only spoke twice, but it said "Congratulations, you've won an iPhone" in a womans voice (or was it an "iPod" ... can't remember, already been a busy morning). Last time I heard it was last week and it was the right side vertical advert that has a bunch of animated smilies in it. Not sure what it was for.

The focus stealing advert bit me probably 6 or 7 times while typing my earlier message and again just now. This time it happened just as I hit the ENTER key to for a new paragraph and the browser jumped to the bottom of the window and the advert there right now is for "TimeToTalk.org".

Thanks,
    pat----

OK, I'll be on the lookout for the "you've won an iphone" deal. I've also reported the problem to the ad networks to see if they can find it. Unfortunately, over the years there have been a number of times where a rogue ad slipped through all the filters. I think that they change their ads creative after its approved or something. Usually they get found pretty quickly because all the publishers converge on them. Its kind of like the people that post SPAM in the forum. Thy know they are going to get caught, so what's the point. Its part of the crap part of the web... always a few bad eggs out there that like to do things that cause many other people a lot of wasted time.

On the focus stealing thing... I can't recreate it. If you get a chance, see if you run into the same thing on another PC. I would think that this would be reported a lot if it were widespread. As I've been doing this testing, I know immediately when I hit a problem because all my communications methods light up with people pointing it out to me. In the interim, if you need to type something of length, then maybe try the "Post a Reply" button. I would think that would be safer, but not positive. I'll keep trying to get it to trip up. By the way, do you have a lot of windows open to the site at the same time?
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    ... By the way, do you have a lot of windows open to the site at the same time?
    errr ... umm ... why? {blush}

hehe, yeah, i do tend to do that. I come into the site, click on "New Posts" and then go down the list of updated threads opening a new IE window for each thread I want to read (here at work, at home on FireFox, I open each thread into a new tab) and then read them, closing each window/tab as I finish the new postings in that thread.

I'm doing a "QUOTE USER" reply, so I got the dedicated editor page ... and just lost focus. After having lost focus I have an NYTimes adver on the right hand side and "TimeToTalk.org" adverts at top and bottom of the window. I think it was the NYTimes ad change that took the focus away since the window shifted right when I hit ENTER.

That right hand side advert has changed three times since then without stealing focus and the TimeToTalk.org ad hasn't changed.

pat----