+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

What is the clicking noise I hear while viewing pages

I am working on some site changes right now with the end goal to speed up page load times. This will use iframes which will allow parts of the page to load after the initial page load. This is going to take a few days to fully get worked out and tested, but one side effect is that you will get extra audible clicking noises in IE... possibly other browsers but I'm not sure. In IE (Internet Explorer), you can turn this highly annoying clicking off by doing the following.

For Windows XP...
    1. Go to Control Panel
    2. Go to Sounds and Audio Devices
    3. Select the Sounds menu
    4. Move down to "Windows Explorer"
    5. Click "Start Navigation"
    6. In the drop down menu called "Name", scroll up and choose "None".
    7. Hit "Apply" and "OK"

This will turn off the clicking you get everytime you hit a link too, which I find kind of annoying, so a double bonus.
    Mike - Been Converged?

About your I frames thing: Sometimes I use an IE computer and the frame around the thread will load, then it will show up as done. A minute or two later, it loads the rest. This doesn't happen when I switch to firefox...

- 2 Bunny

Is that on a slower connection? I use IE all the time and it loads fine about 99% of the time. Ever once in a while the page doesn't load and I just hit refresh and it somes up fine. I wouldn't wait two minutes unless you are on a very slow connection.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent View Post
    Is that on a slower connection? I use IE all the time and it loads fine about 99% of the time. Ever once in a while the page doesn't load and I just hit refresh and it somes up fine. I wouldn't wait two minutes unless you are on a very slow connection.
    No, its not that its slow - it just loads the outside, and stops like its done loading: It says "done" and stops for a few moments, and then loads the body of the page.

- 2 Bunny

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

slow page load time here

i have a dual core laptop and a 3.0ghz desktop, one vista sp1 and one xp with the most current updates, both take about 10-15 seconds to load a page. I have a 3.5 megabit connection, dsl reports speed test confirms im getting 90% of that speed.

Im guessing it needs to confirm with the ad server that the ad has loaded before the page will load.

The 2 minutes that it takes me to type this out, i had the page reload on the right side about 5 times. This has to be a big part of the problem.

I dont know of any other web sites that have this speed / loading issue, is there a way that you can get revenue for the web site and allow the web pages to quickly load like the rest of the web/internet?

Otherwise its a great site, but because of the lethargic way the pages load and the refreshing ads, i usually come here last on my list of tech / pda sites.

Speed it up and ditch the revolving ads and you would be #1 on my favorites list.

Thanks,

I'll try to explain this again. The page loading times are FASTER with the ads being loaded this way, than when they were loaded the old way. The pages do NOT wait for the ads to load to complete. They are in iframes and don't have to wait. You can see this yourself if you watch the spots when pages load... sometimes the ads don't appear until later. Pages load most of the time for me in 2-3 seconds, even when the site is very busy. That is faster than most forum sites I visit. Once in a while it takes longer and can probably spike up to 10-15 seconds, but that is the exception rather than the norm, from what I've seen. I am pretty sure this is just database loading depending on what is happening on the server at the instant you load the page. I have noticed that the first visit to the forum will sometimes take longer, but that has nothing to do with the ads. I've tried a couple of things to get that to speed up and thus far haven't found a solution. It will probably require a site redesign to lighten the pages, but I don't have the resources to do that at present.

By having ALL the ads loaded from a separate server, it has greatly improved the database situation. There were times in the past when the site would get so overloaded that it couldn't keep up and it would prevent anyone from getting in including me... this happened often with the old setup. I appreciate that it annoys you to see the ad load 5 times, but if the ad loading has no effect on your ability to read and input your post then what difference does it make. In the last month, I know that one of the other PDA sites has been down about 3 times for several days at a clip because of overloading and such. I don't believe that will happen here with our dual server setup anymore, but it did happen to us from time to time in the past. If you don't want to use the site, I can't make you, but I don't share your view on the page loading situation. The current setup has performed much better overall than anything we've tried in the past, and two high end servers do have a price.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

15 seconds to get to this page

My computers show this "blankrefresh75" at the bottem of the page before the page loads, it takes an average of 10-15 seconds for the main part of the page to load. In an age of innovation and technology, this issue seems to be a step backwards.

This is my main gripe with this site. Please dont take it personally.

It seems as if many others have this same problem, so the "its just me" issue does not apply.

I can deal with the reloading ads on the side of the page, i turned off the clicking noise myself.

Thanks.

Thats what I was kind of getting at.

- 2 Bunny

Hmmm.. I'm not sure what "blankrefresh75" is... I'll try to look into it. The bottom line is that iframes should load independent of the page... and they are loading like that for me about 95% of the time. Every once in a while I'll get a lag. It may have nothing to do with the rotating banners. I'll need to find someone to help me with that because I'm at the edge of my abilities with page design.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Just to get on the same page:

If I am in a forum window such as this, the gray space and menu bars at the top load in 5 seconds. Then I have to wait 10-15 more seconds (sorry about before, I was exaggerating) before the actual page within the borders loads. do you see what I mean now?

- 2 Bunny

2 bunny... I see that delay every once in a while... maybe 1 out of 10 or 15 screen refreshes. But, that delay may have nothing to do with the ads... if it were the ads then I'd think they would delay on refreshes from time to time and they don't. The header doesn't need to do any database queries when it loads.... the delay happens right before the database driven content is fetched... and that could be the delay. It may be something related to connections to MySQL. I can tell you that before I moved to the way it is now, the delays on page loading were much worse, and nearly constant when the site was busy. On a daily basis we'd have periods where you couldn't get in at all because of overloading. I will try to find a programmer that can help us look at this particular issue.
    Mike - Been Converged?