+ Reply to Thread

Spyware/malware is loading from one of your ads

On two separate computers I have gotten a popup from performanceoptimizer.com. It tries to get me to load an ActiveX control. I don't know what it does, but I've only been on PDAPhonehome.com when it happens.

This has happened twice in the last 20 minutes on two different computers running Firefox (one is Vista Home Premium, the other XP Pro).

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Thanks. That should not be happening. I will try to determine where it is coming from.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Thanks. It happened after the page completed loading, which leads me to believe it came from one of the ads that auto-refreshes every 60-90 seconds. I have not seen it since.

OK, I just had it hit me, so I definitely believe you. I'll be trying to figure out where it is coming from which can sometimes be like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks for alerting me to it. We do not want that there, so rest assured I will be on the trail to find it.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I want to update everyone that we found the source of the malware download and it was terminated by the ad network yesterday. I apologize for any problem it may have caused. This is totally against our advertising policies here at PDAPhoneHome, and it is also againt the policies of all the ad networks we use to serve ads. The information provided by you guys helped us quickly find and remove it. Thanks.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Old thread, yes. But getting the following via Google Chrome. IE starts a bogus "computer scan".

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
    The website at pdaphonehome.com contains elements from the site banners.more-banners.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
    For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for banners.more-banners.com.
    Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.

Hmm... this is a bit more information that before. We don't do anything with banners.more-banners.com. Its kind of ironic that Google claims our site is clean, and their browser is throwing up a warning when you come here. Likewise, its also ironic that they continue to serve us ads. I'll have our system administrator check the site again, but continues to come back squeaky clean and I've never seen this type of thing and I'm on the site all the time. Sometimes this stuff is a needle in a haystack to find.
    Mike - Been Converged?