+ Reply to Thread

iPhone 4S--ATT or Verizon???

I want to get an iPhone. I have been using a Verizon Blackberry (8330) for several years. Excellent for e-mail but not great for internet browsing, maps etc. I have also occasionally used it for tethering my laptop (using tether.com) when WiFi was either unavailable or I was too cheap to pay for it. My 2 years with VZW was over a while ago and they are pressing me for an upgrade. I am bitten by the iPhone bug. But from Verizon or ATT? With VZW I have unlimited data for $30, but phone minutes don't roll over. I want to drop down to about 400-450 minutes/mo (I average a lot less than that)but every so often I exceed that and have been banged with extra charges. Also, I had to get a GSM loaner BB from VZW when I traveled in Germany/Austria last spring--which never worked! (Still a bit upset even though they finally waived all the data charges--don't ask how they charge for data that my replacement phone could not send or receive!) The ATT phone uses a SIM card and I have lots of advice on jailbreaking (a computer techie relative who now works for Apple and other friends) and have seen ads for services that claim to unlock the iPhone. On the other hand ATT charges different $$ for different data levels. I think I would probably stay under 2GB, at least based on my usage history with the Blackberry (mostly e-mail, some internet browsing; I see the occasional use of some navigation but not streaming video--the iPhone screen is not THAT big!) and the rollover minutes would let me pay for fewer minutes (450/mo) without much worry about occasionally going over. I think unlocking would let me use the phone in Europe with a European SIM card for data and talk, unless I am mistaken. On the other hand, I only go to Europe every few years on vacation so it's not a critical point. The monthly charges for both carriers would be about the same, subject to the risk of either going over my minutes with VZW or 2GB data with ATT. Raising the minutes with VZW or the data with ATT to cover those risks would also come out roughly similar. Any suggestions or recommendations? My friends and colleagues with ATT iPhones positively love them and have no complaints about coverage. Do all those G's (3G, 4G etc) make any difference?

P.S.: Smartphone history: Samsung i500 (Palm); then VZW 6800 (Windows/Office Mobile--big mistake, fell for Microsoft's hype about integrating with Office); now VZW BB 8330. I am based in the Philadelphia/southern NJ area and do a lot of work in northern NJ and NYC and also on the west coast. I have an older iPod and figure I won't need it once I have an iPhone. My internet provider (Comcast) provides Exchange server service and I will be taking advantage of that.
    Al

Loved my old Samsung i500 (Palm, yes Palm); loathed Win Mobile in a VZW-8600; loved my current Blackberry Curve for getting on 3 years but it's time for an iPhone!

Administrator
    whatever you do, betwixt those two carriers, id go with verizon.

Thanks, Marctronixx. Any reason?
    Al

Loved my old Samsung i500 (Palm, yes Palm); loathed Win Mobile in a VZW-8600; loved my current Blackberry Curve for getting on 3 years but it's time for an iPhone!

I recommend VZW because (1) you have unlimited data and (2) you've been with VZW long enough that they will unlock your phone so you can use SIM cards from other countries.

Administrator
    Beryl hit all the points...

Thanks, Beryl. I didn't realize that the VZW iPhone has a SIM card so that it can work on both CDMA and GSM (like the Blackberry they lent me to use in Europe last May;unfortunately owing to some unexplained defect I could not get any data or internet service but got a bill for the data anyway, but that's another story.) Is there any reason to believe VZW will allow me to unlock the phone to use overseas with an el cheapo euro SIM card instead of paying them a small fortune? Seems hard to believe. But if they will, great!
    Al

Yeah, the Verizon 4s can be used with a third party international (only) SIM card. Here's an article I followed and it worked just fine - in my case with a several year old T-Mobile SIM card I picked up in Germany several years ago and have used previously for pay-as-you go GSM service in Europe. I followed the article, and was able to get my 4s working with my German phone number (after I trimmed my SIM card using a "micro sim card cutter" kit I picked up on ebay for less than two bucks). Here you go, fully endorsed, this works:
    International travelers: Here is how to SIM unlock your Verizon Apple iPhone 4S | ZDNet

I would look at an app called "LINE2". This app will allow you to call anyone and text anyone using your data. Which with you Verizon unlimited gives you unlimited texts and calling. You can drop your $20/month texting and go with Verizon's 450 minute plan. The Line2 does cost you a monthly charge. I paid for a year and it works out to about $8.30/month. I was using about 700 minutes a month and last time I checked I was down to 60 minutes on the last payment period. Line2 lets you have a second number on your phone and that is the one that I give out to people. I use an Android phone but I do believe that Line2 is available for the iPhone as well.
    Jackie

Thanks, jbeenemd. I checked Line2 out and it could be pretty good. And it is available for the iPhone. Have to give some thought to the 2 number issue since lots of my clients have my actual cell number.
    Last edited by Al Schultz; 11-23-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Incomplete.
    Al

I think Verizon blackberry is the best for internet browsing.