+ Reply to Thread

What is the difference between a pda phone and a smartphone?

I know its a dumb question for all of you, but I'm new to this and can't figure it out or get a straight answer. Please help. Thanks

Smartphones don't have touch screens. Smartphones are also PDA phones, in the general definition of personal digital assistant, so it is easy to confuse the two.
    John

Although I understand jp's response, which alludes to the difference between a Pocket PC and a Smartphone, I would take a different approach to the answer.
    There is no difference--they are two descriptions for the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by scottb
    Although I understand jp's response, which alludes to the difference between a Pocket PC and a Smartphone, I would take a different approach to the answer.
    There is no difference--they are two descriptions for the same thing.
    But the software for Smartphones and PPC's is completely different - so they're not the same thing at all! And users have gotten really frustrated by trying to install software designed for one on the other. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I think it all depends on what reference you are starting with. Palm calls their Treos "smartphones" and it is really a matter of semantics. They are certainly more capable than any typical Nokia, LG or Motorola cell phone, but Microsoft has taken the names to mean two different versions of the operating system.

The smartphone version of Windows Mobile does not support touchscreens and does not include native editing of Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents. Standard Windows Mobile devices include touch screens and have a much wider range of utility applications, including Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, and Pocket PowerPoint (in Windows Mobile 5.) However, both versions are more the same than they are different. Both versions can be considered PDAphones.

With that said, it depends on what your point of reference is... A phone that has PDA functions is a PDAphone, in a general sense. A smartphone can also be a phone with PDA functions or more, unless you specifically mean in Microsoft's world.
    John

Microsoft's product naming is what has made this so confusing... Originally any device that resulted from the fusion of a PDA and a Cell phone was called a smartphone whether the OS was Palm or the Pocket PC or Symbian, etc. Then Microsoft came out with an an OS it called Windows Smartphone... that was to incorporate some PDA functions into devices that are more phone centric. This was not to be confused with Windows Mobile that evolved from the Windows CE OS for Pocket PCs... I liked it better when the engineers named the products and you could keep track of them as opposed to the marketing departments spinning the versions into some fancy name. (WindowsXP=NT 5.1) but I digress....
    Functionally devices with the "Windows Smartphone" OS don't have touch screens (as JP described), and the LCD's are square. Some "Windows Smartphones" don't even have qwerty keypads... Pocket PC phones are full features PDA's (Pocket PC's) with an integrated cell phone. But all fall into the device category smartphones or PDAphones as some like to call them.
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 12-04-2006 at 01:14 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Where can I download WM2003 upgrade?

I agree and disagree with all of the above. My Samsung i700 seems to apply to some of all the mixed instances above. It is called a SmartPhone by Samsung, uses the Windows Mobile 2002 and 2003 operating system (aka wm2003 and Pocket PC 2003,) and has a touch screen. I guess you would call it a PDA with cell phone capabilities, even if Samsung calls it a smartphone. I think the only answer is to check with the manufacturer to at least know what the phone can and can not do.
    My problem is that when I purchased the Samsung i700, it came with Windows Mobile 2002, and shortly after Windows Mobile 2003 came out. I am now trying to find a website where I can download and install the Windows Mobile 2003 upgrade (which is no longer available on the Microsoft site,) but is the highest operating system that the i700 can use.
    If there is anyone who knows where to find a download upgrade to the Windows Mobile 2003 operating system, I would very much appreciate knowing where to find it.
    Last edited by Doobie; 03-31-2007 at 01:48 AM.

the deal is the is a PDA phone is more PDA then phone A smartphone is more Phone then PDA and Palm is antiquated