Poll: Kyocera 7135 or Samsung i600

+ Reply to Thread

7135 vs. Samsung SPH i600

How do these two "Smartphones" compare with each other?

Like Apples and Oranges

You cannot make a valid direct comparison of the two. The 7135 is a converged device, i.e. a complete PDA AND a cell phone. The i600 is a phone first that has SOME LIMITED PDA capabilities. I carried a 7135 for 6 months, and replaced it 7 times. I now carry an i600 AND a Tungsten T3. Am I happier? Not really, Carrying 2 devices is a pain, but it is balanced by the fact that I have a phone that always works, and a PDA that always works. When the 7135 was working correctly, man it was better than sliced bread, and canned beer. But... 7 phones in 6 months, you get the picture. Will I give the next generation converged device a try? You betcha!

Tom
    To most people, the sky is the limit.
    To those who love flight, the sky is home

Thanks.

I was 10 days into my 15 day trial with the 7135 and experienced multiple crashes, keypad lockups, and frustration with the flat keys while trying to dial one handed while driving. I finally gave up and returned the "dumbphone", but miss having all of my contacts with me, and don't want to carry two devices, hence my question.

I've been looking for reviews on the i600, but they're few so far.

I appreciate your comments.

I'm glad this poll was started as I wasn't even aware the i600 was available yet. Sure enough, it is now listed by Verizon wireless in my zip code area.

The i600 is based on the Smartphone 2002 OS which is inteneded to provide limited pda capabilities. I use the pda side of my smartphone about as much as the phone side and therefore, I require a full-featured convergence device. Consequently, the i600 will not replace my 7135. Furthermore, it is my understanding that the i600 is digital only. I need analog roaming for some of the traveling that I do.

The 7135 remains king-of-the-hill!
    Dave

"it is my understanding that the i600 is digital only."

You are right. Excellent point Dave. Thanks.

I ordered the I600 will get it tomorow, my 7135 wk good just the sticky pads is a problem.I am using the E-mail alot,let see if the I600 will wk with the airbridge e-mail. I need more then 160 carcters.
    if it will not wk it's going back.anther problem with the 7135 is when I forwerding e-mail that I recived now it's take up to 3 houers to the ather person to get it. Verizon canot fix this problem.

I've been using the i600 for a week and a half. Simply put, I love it. Small, hi res beautiful screen (65K, 176x220 at 2.2 inches looks great to my suprise), all Outlook contacts synced over, decent battery life, video that's worth watching, decent mp3 playback, and rock solid constuction. I ditched my T3 and Siemens S56 (Cingular) and have been very satisfied. The i600 is far from perfect, and if you edit docs or enter most of you data into the pda itself you may be better off with something else. But for entering contact info, an appointment or task, the i600 is fine with multitap or T9. The one adjustment I've had to make is that the i600 is not suitable currently for note taking. I don't take a lot of notes, so this doesn't matter much to me but it will to others. There is an note taking app available but I haven't had the chance to check it out and I'm not really interested in heavy note taking on a phone.

All things considered, the i600 is a sleek mobile solution. I finally have a smartphone with all the core abilities that I wanted (email, web browsing with images, robust Outlook sync), and a screen that doesn't give me a headache when viewing and can actually display photos and video worth looking at.

Re: Like Apples and Oranges

Ahh, I like that one! I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck - it's just TOO odd about the quality differences! My wife and I both have 7135s and have had very minimal issues. It IS like sliced bread and "bottled" beer to us.

Originally posted by scout706
    better than sliced bread, and canned beer
    Tom

keyboard?

I've been scoping out the i600 and didnt' realize it didn't have stylus input (after a while, you glaze over...) So I have to ask - isn't there a keyboard you can add on to it if you travel a lot and want to write more than a 3 word email? Just curious... I know some of them have those as accessories. Has anyone used one and have any comments on it?

Thanks