Poll: SD Card Worth It?

+ Reply to Thread

SD Card Question

Team,

I've had the phone for a year and the 6035 before that.... I still have yet to buy an SD card. I was hoping I could get some input as to if the card is a must, a nice to have, or just an expensive add on not used a lot.

Also, what is the best kind and where did you get it???

Thanks for all the input! You all make this place great to come back to.

-Patrick

You MUST have an SD card so you can do routine backups. You will need it someday. And it will happen very unexpectedly, and probably while you are out of town or not near your pc to sync it back. I have had mine since October and used the backup on the sd card twice. It happens, you just never know when!

Bill
    NEW TOY?! Gotta have it!!!

Backup, backup, backup.

Also, think of all the extra games you can run from the card!
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

I concur. The poll is actually a little misleading, in that you can get a smaller SD card for pretty cheap. A smaller card would do you fine if you don't plan on using it for mp3s.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I just bought a 256 mb card from compgeeks.com 59.50+ship
    knock wood- working fine

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SDMC256
    (site says 8 left)

I half loaded it with music.. today I spent with it coming out of the speaker like a 1970's kid with his 9v transistor hanging from a vinyl strap.. worked for my purposes.... re; the out of town backup-- My phone is so far very stock, and I can sync withought being in front of my PC, all I need is my IP and I'm good to go.

Originally posted by harleyxlc
    Backup, backup, backup.

Also, think of all the extra games you can run from the card!
    Are you using backup buddy? Is this the program of choice?

Converged
    I use backup buddy. Hotsync is not enough. Hotsync will not backup any Kyocera specific things, like voice dial, call history etc... So if you lose everything hotsync is not going to bring it all back. I think an SD card is a must. Get a small one, for backups, if you don't have the bucks. Get a larger one for backups and MP3 files.

-Stew

An SD card is extremely important in my opinion. I've had a 256MB card since I bought the phone and have been using BackupBuddyVFS and it has saved me a couple of times. I've upgraded to a 512MB card now and I'm loving it for saving MP3s and Kinoma movies.

Later,

Cool Cat
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Found a good price here:

$49.99 free shipping:

http://www.shop.kingston.com/0304dm2...uredigitalcard
    Last edited by pkaine; 03-28-2004 at 12:29 PM.
    Need gift ideas?

Check out http://www.mynextclick.com

Originally posted by sysmg
    I use backup buddy. Hotsync is not enough. Hotsync will not backup any Kyocera specific things, like voice dial, call history etc... So if you lose everything hotsync is not going to bring it all back. I think an SD card is a must. Get a small one, for backups, if you don't have the bucks. Get a larger one for backups and MP3 files.

-Stew
    not true
    check your backup dir
    kwc_CallHistoryDB.PDB
    kwc_VoiceTags.PDB
    just have to set desktop overwrites handheld if you need to restore from a hotsync if your phone gets blanked

although, the card is still the best way to go

Converged
    FYI. I recently realized that when BackupBuddy VFS is taking a backup, the phone will not ring. The call goes straight to phone mail.

-Stew

Get a card. You can find them cheap on eBay. I got a 256mb card from Kyocera directly when they were runninga special. It was $49.99 at the time. I just picked up a brand new 512MB card off eBay for $70.

I've was using my 256 card for some mp3, backups and photos. Now its my "portable USB drive" for work and my 512 is in the phone with even more mp3s, backup data, more photos and data for my job.

The backup buddy vfs is nice to have. I used it for a restore from a crash and then to replace some screwed up files from a corrupted download as well as revert back to a previous launcher setup after i didnt like the upgraded product.

Try this on for size.

Viking 512mb SD card for only $54.99! (After $20 mail in rebate)

http://www.buy.com/prod/Viking_512MB.../10335061.html

Now that is CHEAP!

I agree with ALL, a card with Back up buddy is a MUST! It will save you some day!

TL

BDP
    I usually purchase most of my computer components from Newegg.com and they have quite a selection of Removable Media with user Reviews and they use the FedEx Express Saver which is usually free or just a few bucks for shipping.
    Media Search

I think I'd rather buy from someone like them than from ebay if that was my only option - just my opinion

totally mp3s, pictures. and backups.
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

SD cards are the bomb! mp3s, pictures, backups AND movies
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing