Poll: How do you feel about PDA OS's?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    boe

PPC6601 or Treo650

Hello,

I was all set to get the i550 but time has run out so I have to find an alternative fast.

Which would you get and why - the treo 650 or the PPC6601 and why? I'd love to post this in the 650 group to get the palm users input but that would be a double post. Moderators - please let me know if I can do this.

I'm more familiar with the palm OS than the Windows mobile. I know in palm if I click on search and put in a persons name, it will automatically search my e-mail as well as my contacts. Does Windows Mobile work the same way? Can I pull up an on screen keyboard to type with using the stylus?

Thanks
    Last edited by boe; 11-08-2004 at 02:07 AM.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

Run a search at treocentral.com- this has been discussed many times, and suprisingly it is not as biased as you would think.
    -rob

boe
    Thanks - I just did a search on the discussions regarding the PPC6601 - I only found 2 threads and they didn't have much useful information. I appreciate the response though.
    Want better phone selection from Sprint? http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...ease-read.html

try searching for 6600. There is atleast one thread that is 10 or so pages long.

-rob

boe

Thanks

My bad - I was searching the wrong forum. I found lots of responses. I found a few answers to my questions there. I posted a new thread with all of my remaining questions there.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Now, now... we all know that pdaPhoneHome is THE place for unbiased comparisons! Feel free to post this in both forums here if you want.

My opinion is that they are both great devices, and a refinement on an already good design. I favor Pocket PC, so I'll be going with the 6601 for a while. I've been on a Treo 600 for months and really miss the Pocket PC footprint. But, I'll miss the Treo form factor. To me, I would love a device like the 6601, with a 1/3 smaller display (and size). That would be the ultimate sized device for me.
    Mike - Been Converged?

boe

thanks

I appreciate your response. I'd love something about the size of the I550 with screen/virtual keyboard typing since I use it mostly to look up information. I saw the i645 is coming but that still uses smartphone 2003. I need a phone now but know in about 9 months I'll be drooling over some 2005 devices.

Administrator
    oil and water...

simply put,

if you want desktop fuctionality on the phone , get the ppc... if you dont need that, get the palm phone...

yah agreed there.

I used both Treo 600 and ppc 6600 before. Finally I chose ppc6600.

The reasons are I favor Window CE os more than Palm os. Also ppc 6600 has a bigger screen. But Trep 600 is indeed a very impressive device. It looks cute and feels comfortable in hand. If it had a Window CE os, I probably got it.
    G
    Love PPC6600. Like 6700. Ignore idiot comment.

I went from a Treo 600 to the PPC-6601 back in January. I loved the Treo when I got it, but over time I became frustrated with the Palm OS, and some other limitations in the original device. Some of those were improved with the 650, but the 6601 was like my dream device.

The slide-out keyboard allows for a full-size screen which is a big deal for me. Windows Mobile "just works" a lot better than the Palm OS on the Treo 600, and I get a lot more advanced features. But it also depends on your environment. If you have an Exchange server, Windows Mobile's OTA (Over The Air) Exchance ActiveSync works beautifully. On the other hand, I found the IM clients on the Palm OS (VeriChat) to be more suitable to what I would want to do with a mobile IM solution than anything I've found on the Pocket PC - although supposedly VeriChat is working on a new version of their Pocket PC client which I anxiously await.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Both the 650 and the 6600/6601 are great devices and I doubt you'll regret buying either.

Here are several reviews / threads over at TreoCentral that I posted as a Treo Lover who just bought a PPC-660x. There are a lot of responses from both sides as well. Please note that many of the comments for cons for both phones are prior to the last updates that fixed a vast amount of these issues for both phones:

Review of the PPC-6600
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=73957

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=62661

Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=66714
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05-12-2005 at 01:57 PM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

boe
    Hobbes is right- I have tested both a great deal since my initial post. I am less than thrilled with either. I think I'll have to wait about 3 more years before I see a PDA phone that meets my hopeful desires.

In 3 years...I can only dream of what phone I would have....Ah....but dreaming is always fun.

Here would be my perfect phone :
    • Treo form factor (without the antenna).
    • But the keyboard would slide down for a PPC-660x size screen when needed and the OS would recognize what screen mode (or actually the screen would slide up to keep the weight at the bottom for easy balance for typing). That way those who like the small form factor have it and never have to slide it to a larger size for more screen real estate, while those who need the extra screen have it.
    • Portrait & Landscape
    • OS: Just like a desktop....A dual boot to either Palm Colbalt & PPC 2005 as I have programs I love on both OS's
    • With the dual boot, there would be a common database format compatible with both OS's so common info, i.e....contacts, emails, tasks, etc...can be accessed and edited no matter OS you have loaded.
    • Dual radios...one for data and one for voice so both can used at same time, at least until EVDV becomes available.
    • True VGA screen resolution
    • At least a 1.3 mp camera (saw the first 5 mp cell phone camera the other day in a magazine).
    • Complete office software solution
    • Full Blackberry support and compatible (which is what the latest version of the 660x is going to have when released soon in EU).
    • Voice Command included.
    • Non crippled Bluetooth
    • Built in Wifi
    • CDMA (aka available through Sprint)
    • EVDO
    • No atenna
    • GPS. Just like the folding the GPS antenna, but removable with a port in back of phone where a removable GPS antenna can be snapped on and off as needed.
    • At least, bare minimum, 128 mb of memory, with how cheap memory is now there would also be a 1 gb internal mem option. I figure a dual boot OS option would take around 100 meg of internal memory so high mem is a must.
    • Since WM2005 supports internal drives, a 60 gig microdrive that will be released sometime in the next 12 months or so.
    • Graphic chip accelator that will be released for PDAs this next year.
    • At least a 600mhz processor.
    • two sd slots for memory and accessory.
    • No thicker than the 650
    • And of course, since we are dreaming....no bugs with the first release.
    I would be happy then....

FOLLOW UP NOTES: As for graphics accelator...nVidia has announced their new GoForce 4500 3D that will be released soon. This will provide arcade quality graphics and performance to PPCs. You can see it at http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_3d_4500.html . You can also see some screenshots at http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040916183808.html . Here is one of favorites: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/10085...ndheld_Demo.jpg

I think that my dream phone is VERY reasonable today..(except for the microdrive and Nvidia graphics chip that will be released within the next 12 months)...let alone in 3 years. Whoever wakes up and smells the market demand by making it, could become the new leader in the industry.....as long they do not shoot themselves in the foot with never ending bugs.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05-12-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

My Wife thinks I am a total dork davidgelb's Avatar
    Hey all,
    I am debating between the 650 and the 6600. Do either phone come with voice dial? And if so, does voice dial work with a bluetooth headset?

ALSO, I know if a Palm device's battery dies, the data is retained. Is this true with the 6600? If your battery dies with a 6600, is all data lost? Please let me know if anyone has personally experienced this.

Thank you for the assistance!!

-David

6600 does not come with voice dial, but is available via several 3rd party programs. Doesn't work over BT headset.
    If 6600 dies, it does not save data. You need to back up the data via ActiveSync (sync program that comes with the device) or included program (xBackup), or a 3rd party program (Sprite Backup).
    Jeremiah 29:11

i love my 6600.....im on thunderhawk aaaaaaallllll day long at work lol.....dont know how i lived without it

My Wife thinks I am a total dork davidgelb's Avatar
    Thanks for the answers. Can you change batteries on the 6600 without losing data? If a battery is running low and change to a fresh battery, is there any sort of backup battery in the 6600, or is all data lost?

Thanks!!

-David

yes there is a backup battery that can save data for some length of time.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com

I had a Treo 650 but returned it for the PPC-6600. The Windows OS is just too much better and the amount of 3rd party software makes it that much better. The Treo is a very nice device, but it's all about the software. Sprints voice dial is very good, by the way. The big negative for the PPC-6600 is battery life. I have ordered a 2200mAh battery because the standard one runs dry before the day runs out.