Poll: What about Sprint Insurance for PPC-660x

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sprint Insurance on PPC-6601 ($5/mo) worth it?

So what do you think about about Sprint insurance on the PPC-6601?

ya kina need it for a phone of this price, and plus when it gets old and they no longer have the phone you get an upgread

Do not go without insurance, unless you have a spare $700! $5 a month is little to pay for security.
    Jeremiah 29:11

2 Words.....

PEACE OF MIND

OK so that was 3......but I don't count of as a word.....or sumthin'

I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

5 per month = 60 per year. New phone 600-700 avg. life expectancy is about 3 years cost of insurance for 3 years = 180.

I think it is a good buy.
    Dan

3 years! I seem to get a new phone every 12 months!

I'd really like to see a poll on how many of our forum members actually keep a phone for 3 years. We're WAAAAY too much of a bunch of gadget freaks to be 3 years out of date!

If you amortize it over the 12-18 months that I expect most of us keep our phones for, then it works out to an even better deal...

For me, knowing how fragile these phones are, it makes total sense, so I don't have to feel like I have to 'baby' the phone all the time.

- Smiles,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

Largely Converged Member av8instyle's Avatar
    I bought the insurance on my i700 and no kidding had to use it 2 weeks later! I cracked the screen and the warranty didn't cover that...but assurion did.
    Well worth it imho.

Administrator
    if you have to ask if this insurance is worth it for a 600 dollar phone.................

Marctronixx,

Quote "if you have to ask if this insurance is worth it for a 600 dollar phone................."

That is an unfair response.

1) I am new to Sprint and have no idea how easy it is to make a claim.

2) Any insurance is for profit for the seller and generally (unless it's going to break the bank) it is statisically better to not get insurance.

3) I've bought insrance on my last 5 laptops and although I have used it for minor things. I'd be about $1500.00 ahead if I skipped the insurance.

I will based on the forums advice, but please don't tell me it's stupid to have asked.

hatoncat,

I was told that you could add it later. But they will want to confirm the phone is working and there is a wait period before it kicks in. But I will double check before 30 days are up. Thanks for the warning.

Administrator
    ms,

whats "stats" are you referencing to? car insurance or pda phone insurance? those two areas are totally different...

insurance on a 600+ dollar phone is common sense imo. unless you have money to burn then you can just take your chances. but if you rather not come out of pocket to replace your mega bucks phone then the 5 bucks/month is nothing. yes yes.. the insurance racket is just that... a racket... but should your phone go belly up (and it can happen with these hybrid devices.. just search the archives on other pdaphones) the sprint insurance will definitely take care of you.

if you wanted a "sampling" of what people here think of the insurance, a simple search would have yielded answers to your question of "if its worth it"...

YES it is...

and don't take anything personal amigo....

Well,

5 People voted I'd like to see what others think and 311 people read the thread in one day.

And I (and others maybe) learned that you can't add it later.

And I (and others maybe) learned that it is not a big hassle to get it replaced.

So YES, it was worth asking.....

I have never had insurance on a cell phone, but this is much more than a cell phone, pda, etc, and costs much more than my previous cell phones.

When I ordered the phone, my sales rep said I probably wouldn't need the insurance if I wasn't a heavy user.

However, it seems like these complex devices are prone to many more issues, so after reading this thread, I think I should get some coverage when I activate the phone today.

What is the difference between the insurance (4.99/mo) and the extended warranty (1.99/mo) that I see on the Verizon website?

Can I presume the warranty only covers mnft initial defects, and the insurance covers any damage, like dropping it, someone stealing it, etc? This is a pretty expensive device (for me anyway) when you think of it. I have never paid more than $100 for a cell phone and have never had a pda.

If I have the insurance (or warranty), do I just take the deftective phone into any VZ?N store for replacement, or do I need to ship it somewhere?

Originally posted by GadgetLuvR
    Can I presume the warranty only covers mnft initial defects, and the insurance covers any damage, like dropping it, someone stealing it, etc? This is a pretty expensive device (for me anyway) when you think of it. I have never paid more than $100 for a cell phone and have never had a pda.

If I have the insurance (or warranty), do I just take the deftective phone into any VZ?N store for replacement, or do I need to ship it somewhere?
    Insurance covers anything, but if it is stolen, you need a police report. Usually has a $50 deductible. You call the insurance carrier directly, like Asurion. Your local cell shop has the phone number.

CASE IN POINT, I was going outside yesterday and my steps were iced over, I fell down the stairs and my 6601 went flying onto the sidewalk (not to mention I'm really hurting today!). The long and the short of it is that it's all kinds of dented and cracked, insurance gives me a new one for $50 deductible. Am I feeling good about paying another $50 after just getting this phone a week ago, NO, but am I ECSTATIC that I don't have to pay another $700, ABSOLUTELY! You never know what's gonna happen, get the insurance!
    Tom

Administrator
    ooh DT... ouch! but good point!!!!

311 people didnt decide to answer as the answer was obvious imo!

take this simple test for yourself...

do you have car?

do you have full coverage car insurance on it?

this will answer YOUR question as to if you need insurance on a measly 600+ dollar phone...

It's fine to recommend it and explain why.

I'm not arguing the recommendation. Stop with the BS that I was dumb to ask. Your initial useless reply was the obvious thing that was not needed here.

I'd have to agree with mswlogo,

And let's compare apples-to-apples. If I'm not mistaken, the law requires auto insurance. I've not been in an auto accident in 8 years nor filed any insurance claims in the same period (knock on wood) but I still have to have it. I feel I've spent WAY TOO MUCH in insurance...and not cause I wanted it! I should be getting a cash back bonus or something!!! Sheesh!

I'm not aware of any laws requiring insurance on cell phones?! I've been with sprint since Qualcom established the CDMA standard and never had insurance, although there were a few times I wish I had it. Point is, I have insurance on my car because it's the law (even though I'm sure I would regardless), but I don't have insurance on my phone because I choose not to spend the additional $5/mo and I put a little more effort into keeping up with my phone.

Now, would I buy insurance on the 6601? Hell yeah! And without hesitation!

To each his own I say.

jaf0

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."

I had a G1000 for over a year and had insurance on it from day 1. I dropped the G a couple of times, not intentionally of course, but fortunately it never even got a scratch. I figure with the $4/mo. I paid so far around $50 into the insurance. Now I'm going to have my brandy new 6601 replaced after only a week due to my aforementioned slipping on the stairs incident, so it'll cost me another $50 for the deductible but that's it. So for under $100 so far I'm getting a $700 phone replaced which I would have had to purchase outright again otherwise. The way I look at it, that pays for the insurance for the next 5 or so years right there. It's kinda like AAA, there are two types of people in the world, those who have broken their phones, and those that are going to. Insurance is just that, peace of mind. Now I don't have to treat my phone like the holy grail and walk on eggshells whenever I use it, sure I'm careful with it but at least should something unforseeable happen, I'm covered. $5/mo. extra for that confidence is worth every penny! Are the insurance folks making a bundle on this deal just like any other insurance, ABSOLUTELY! BUT if you DO need the insurance at some point, YOU are the one taking advantage of it too! Car insurance is required by law because people who don't have it and hit someone or something have no way of paying for repairs/medical costs, while I HATE car insurance and believe it's a definite racket I understand the necessity of it all. This insurance on the other hand is QUITE better because your premiums don't go up if you need it and it's REALLY cheap to begin with! Plus it covers anything and everything that could go wrong with your phone, and if it fails electronically or whatever the deductible is even less and your Store is responsible for replacing it. If it were more money /mo. I probably wouldn't have paid for it either, but for $5 it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned...
    T.
    Last edited by d2tw4all; 12-14-2004 at 10:52 PM.